Sprint racing in N.I.?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

purplea4T

RMS Regular
As the title suggests, is there much, if any, sprint racing in NI? I keep having the urge to competitively race but don't fancy lanes or targa and certainly not autotesting.
I've a few quid to spend at it but don't really want to spend a fortune (thinking Saxo VTS/206 GTI) or is the best "thrill" per £ the Rallycross at Bishopscourt?

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
The "sprints" here are timed events, not head-head racing as such.

The 7 series, NI7's or whatever it is do proper racing throughout the year, no idea on costs etc. @IL would probably know more.

There's bound to be some sort of saloon car type racing too, maybe check out the likes of the 500MRCI facebook page or other car clubs ?

chris_b

RMS Regular
Drives
A car
Armo (streetracer) has a BMW saloon championship thing going, it looks great !

purplea4T

RMS Regular
OP
purplea4T
Thats the information I was looking for Stevie, not sure if I want to race with a chance of contact to start out with. Cheers
The "sprints" here are timed events, not head-head racing as such.

The 7 series, NI7's or whatever it is do proper racing throughout the year, no idea on costs etc. @IL would probably know more.

There's bound to be some sort of saloon car type racing too, maybe check out the likes of the 500MRCI facebook page or other car clubs ?

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Sprints and hills would be the safest in that respect. It's just some timed runs and generally there should be very low risk. Obviously as the hills are roads...there is higher risk there, but also more enjoyable.

There's been a few threads on here about them, cant seem to find em though.

Association of Northern Ireland Car Clubs

Rules will depend on the vehicle.

but in very brief.

MSA license, £43, you'll need a helmet, suit, gloves. Some classes now require a stupid ****ing HANS device, this also then requires a harness etc.

I think for 2017 they have introduced a very basic standard car class....but it does actually need to be standard which I'd say renders it bloody pointless lol. Who the hell has a totally standard car these days !

The MSA blue book is available to download with all the rules in it....mere mortals cannot understand any of it...and even the MSA dont seem to either. But it's there to look at.

PhilM

RMS Regular
Sprints and Hillclimbs def worth a try

Hope to do some this year again myself.

I'm only new to it but really enjoyed my first year, the hills are definitely more of an occasion - sprints probably better for pushing the car beyond its limits

Phil

IL

RMS Regular
Drives
981 GTS
If you want to race come to Kirkistown to the 1st event on the last weekend of March, pick a class and get out there, it really is that simple.

Saloons, GT's, Roadsports, NI Sevens, Formula Ford and fiestas.

Fiestas are probably best place to dip your tow in and try budget wise, all you need to do is your Ards test (done at the circuit) get a car (plenty about ready to go), safety gear and get stuck in.

I did 8 seasons of the Hillclimbs and Sprints too in a Formula Ford which although was good fun doesn't have a patch on the head to head racing and 45mins of track time at a race day.

But the racing is around 4x more expensive per day.

Last edited:

mike150

RMS Regular
Drives
Around
As the title suggests, is there much, if any, sprint racing in NI? I keep having the urge to competitively race but don't fancy lanes or targa and certainly not autotesting.
I've a few quid to spend at it but don't really want to spend a fortune (thinking Saxo VTS/206 GTI) or is the best "thrill" per £ the Rallycross at Bishopscourt?

I ran a VTS Saxo for a few lane rallies...........................what a piece of gutless junk.................it was a nice car when I bought it but I should have just cleaned it up and sold it on as weirdly some people like them. They are as strong as Pound shop toilet paper and when they do go wrong, and they do, they are a real PITA to work on. At the end with mine I was tempted to break it or just burn it. Buy a Ford Puma or a Fiesta is my advice.

Reactions: IL

bigsigh

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW M2
We have a fiesta sitting that did 2 seasons of the fiesta series . The owner is building a house now and no time to race , handy money would lift it I would think

Reactions: IL

swansty

RMS Regular
Drives
Disco and Saxo
I ran a VTS Saxo for a few lane rallies...........................what a piece of gutless junk.................it was a nice car when I bought it but I should have just cleaned it up and sold it on as weirdly some people like them. They are as strong as Pound shop toilet paper and when they do go wrong, and they do, they are a real PITA to work on. At the end with mine I was tempted to break it or just burn it. Buy a Ford Puma or a Fiesta is my advice.
You mustn't have been fit for her. :p My VTR runs the very best (or did) and set some competitive times despite a meagre 90bhp. Id say they are fairly handy worked on tbh.

mike150

RMS Regular
Drives
Around
You mustn't have been fit for her. :p My VTR runs the very best (or did) and set some competitive times despite a meagre 90bhp. Id say they are fairly handy worked on tbh.
Sure remember I borrowed a few bits off you in an effort to get ours going. I eventually got it going after taking it to a guy in Banbridge following Hursts giving up. It was a broken alternator wire at the back of the engine but the car wouldn't start.

I had a bad experience with a Saxo VTS 8o|. Still gives me nightmares.

swansty

RMS Regular
Drives
Disco and Saxo
Sure remember I borrowed a few bits off you in an effort to get ours going. I eventually got it going after taking it to a guy in Banbridge following Hursts giving up. It was a broken alternator wire at the back of the engine but the car wouldn't start.

I had a bad experience with a Saxo VTS 8o|. Still gives me nightmares.
I do indeed remember. Mine hasn't been without problems but to be fair, the way it was treated and driven it stood up to it very well. New fuel pump, bearings, and a rear axle were the biggest things and they were all common fail points anyway. I guess it depends on your budget @purplea4T . Work that out, double it, add on a contingency, and then pick a series/vehicle.

PhilM

RMS Regular
You'd probably enjoy just bringing something along in the roadgoing class to the first sprint or Hillclimb

Never worry too much about what class your stuck into or what car your using - just give the whole thing a chance. 182/vtec/starlet/330/mr2 or whatever

Phil

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
Never taken part in motorsport before but I am interested in "sprinting" or "quarter miling" my S3 next year or when the next events are

No idea where to go, how much, what is needed etc... so could someone enlighten me please

Thanks

PhilM

RMS Regular
Never taken part in motorsport before but I am interested in "sprinting" or "quarter miling" my S3 next year or when the next events are

No idea where to go, how much, what is needed etc... so could someone enlighten me please

Thanks

ANICC website will have All the sprint dates. First one is probably March nutts corner then Kirkistown later than month or April.

Happy to help anyway I can if you need an info.

But honestly turn up with the basics and you will be warmly recieved, always happy to see new competitors. What’s the details on the car?

Phil

NickR

RMS Regular
Drives
A6/E39 530i
What’s the best class to start out in for the likes of Kirkistown?

PhilM

RMS Regular
What’s the best class to start out in for the likes of Kirkistown?

Class 1/2/3 roadgoing.

Normal cars pretty much - can be tuned but must use road legal list 1b tyres.

Gti/M3/182/Type r/Impreza pretty much all normal road cars fit in there.

No engine swaps (or you fall into class 9) / no wide arches (or you are into modified production)

Thats a very vague guide - and no doubt their are some anomalies even within what I’ve said but that’s the jist of it.

Roadgoing doesn’t require harness or rollcage and interior must be retained

The msa blue book is the guidelines everyone works to, but handier probably to get some pointers about reading that rather than diving in.... but by all means do.

Phil

NickR

RMS Regular
Drives
A6/E39 530i
Class will be dictated by the rules and whatever car you're using, unless you're looking to buy something specific for a class ?
I have got a real notion of shifting the Impreza and buying something to do this kind of stuff. My dad also mentioned trying off roading but again I wouldn’t have a clue where to start....plus I need to sell the Impreza first.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Ultimately a lot will come down to budget.....and then do you want to go fast, or just have fun ?

Or happy enough with running in a cheaper but larger and maybe more competitive class at a slower pace....which will obviously be more budget friendly.

MX5's, or there are loads of fwd hot type hatches these days that can perform very well and not cost the earth

zafturbo

RMS Regular
Clio 182 available if anyone looking one for sprints / hills or just a general wringing the nuts off as a road car .i have had 2 awesome years as my daily runabout .not a roundabout in ni it hasn’t been almost inside out on .so much fun for little money .i replaced it with a diesel civic like a noob .

NickR

RMS Regular
Drives
A6/E39 530i
I’d want something that a novice can work on too....ie no computers needed etc

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.