Static mk7 Golf R

martymim

RMS Regular
OP
martymim
Parts back from paint and installed, we played with my wide wings to get them sitting better and they come out great.

Painted my clubsport bar to match the cage and reattached the netting.
All thatā€™s left for the interior is to modify the false floor and wait on som Stillstatic bits.

F18BA5B5-9938-4E38-964D-2D80BB0CCC94.jpeg

10411FA3-54FD-4EC7-BEAB-452CDEC0E7EC.jpeg

Jamesc

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi TT, A4
Looks great yellow! Was tempted to do yellow in the Audi but settled for red for now. Looking forward to seeing it at the shows

martymim

RMS Regular
OP
martymim
Looks great yellow! Was tempted to do yellow in the Audi but settled for red for now. Looking forward to seeing it at the shows

Thanks man,
I was going red myself but I wanted the calipers to match.
Went for the McDonalds colour scheme hah.

Change much up for this year?

Jamesc

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi TT, A4
Thanks man,
I was going red myself but I wanted the calipers to match.
Went for the McDonalds colour scheme hah.

Change much up for this year?

Yeah when I go big brake kit I am concidering yellow, so possibly do the cage then to match, plus my seats have yellow stitching but for now red will do.

Few interior pieces, cage and new rims (if I get the last one to seal!), and a few small odds and ends most people won't notice. Running out of big things todo with out starting again lol

martymim

RMS Regular
OP
martymim
Yeah when I go big brake kit I am concidering yellow, so possibly do the cage then to match, plus my seats have yellow stitching but for now red will do.

Few interior pieces, cage and new rims (if I get the last one to seal!), and a few small odds and ends most people won't notice. Running out of big things todo with out starting again lol

Good stuff, itā€™s hard to beat yellow brakes. Iā€™m patiently waiting for mine to come back yellow too. Interesting go see how they come out.

Interior is a real rabbit hole once you get into it, I know the feeling. I have one bigger thing to do mid season but as you said, itā€™s really just running out of things to do hah.

martymim

RMS Regular
OP
martymim
Waiting for my calipers to come back from the rebuild I got a set of new pads and sent the discs to be skimmed. Do it once kinda thing.

Also picked up a Volkswagen Racing turbo elbow. These are supposed to add power in the midrange and increase the sound. Iā€™ll update on my impressions when the car moves again. Donā€™t hold your breath.

Because Iā€™ll be stripping the intake etc to fit the elbow I bought a Turbo Muffler delete too. This is supposed to add more turbo sounds. Once again Iā€™ll update on it.

14044351-B92A-488C-B294-5405C8B77D39.jpeg

47BA7311-F7D7-45DD-8628-BD14D630A8C1.jpeg

martymim

RMS Regular
OP
martymim
Slight updates.

Installed the muffler delete and the elbow.
Was very easy, didnā€™t take long.
Definetly more of a ā€œwooshā€ noise off throttle but Iā€™ll know better once I get the car on the road again.

5ACDF928-C96C-4858-A5A4-6A0DC6BD649D.jpeg

F44207C5-4799-400E-8C6B-C4D1FB762166.jpeg

Attacked the Speedlines to try and get them back to their former glory.
Did the best I could without splitting them.

1500 grit and brought back with mothers metal polish.

FFBADE5E-EFA5-43BD-9F14-F5340E09D4E1.jpeg

Last edited:

martymim

RMS Regular
OP
martymim
While the car is on Jack stands I thought there was no better time to give the car a deep detail ready for summer.

Started with giving the car a wash, drying then attacking the light buildup of tar.
Tar remover was sprayed on a panel then left to dwell before removing with a microfiber, repeated for the whole car. Washed again to remove excess tar remover.
I followed that with getting rid of the Iron contaminants, covered the car in CarbonCollective React and let the purple drip from the paint.
Followed by a wash.
Last of the prep was a 3M Clay mitt, used the shampoo from the bucket & quick detailer and got to work rubbing the car down.
I'd highly recommend a clay mitt, coming from using a clay bar the process is night and day. Its much quicker and allot less monotonous, the main downfall is that the mitt would be more aggressive on the paint which leaves light marring marks but it doesn't bother me as I only use it before a machine polish anyway.
Something to note is the MK7 paint is softer than butter so it might mar more than another manufacturers paint.
Covered up and exposed plastic or rubber surfaces.

Then got to the main part, Paint correction.
Tried a few different compounds/ pads to find a combo that yielded the best results. The polisher i'm using is the Rupes DA BigFoot.
With the paint mainly only have light swirl marks I didn't have to do an awful lot of cutting thankfully. I used Menzerna Super finish 500 on a Menzerna yellow medium pad for the first cut then took most of the remaining swirls out with the same compound with the Menzerna Finishing Blue pad.
I completed both sides of the car and will leave the rest for another day, whats the rush we cant leave our houses for months..
For the bumpers i'll be using a combo of the Rupes and the DAS-6 with a small pad attachment to get into the hard to reach sections, with special care for the front bumper and bonnet as they were repainted recently.

Below is some of the current progress along with the before and after:

C6705C5A-A03C-4E8D-9298-4F51F9B02482.jpeg
C33E4CE0-1E9B-4923-98C8-8D019489D30E.jpeg

07B9B829-0021-4484-8B6B-C49C20BAF4D7.jpeg

FT wide wings.

Once Iā€™m finish I will be protecting the paint with CarbonCollective ceramic coatings.
Iā€™m going for a few coats of Platinum Paint followed by a few coats of Oracle.
Platinum Glass & Platinum Wheels will be applied too.

Information overload but howā€™s everyone else keeping sane with the lock in?

martymim

RMS Regular
OP
martymim
Slight update,

Got the ceramic coatings on, two coats of each paint variant along with the glass and wheels. Ill put up some pictures when I get it out to the light.

Also got my calipers back from Brake Caliper Refurb after the rebuild and colour change.
Fingers crossed I'll get them on this weekend.

B38BE9F2-42FC-41B2-ADAB-0F3742F57B71.jpeg

573907C2-F104-423F-AD88-A7D0A1CE08AC.jpeg

mark19

RMS Regular
Drives
golf
Those calipers are class!!!!!
I actually like that youve kept porsche on them to

martymim

RMS Regular
OP
martymim
Got the discs and calipers on last weekend.

Bled the system of air and gave the car an oil service.

Just the topmounts left to get this thing on the road. Trying to find an engineering company still open through this to give them the drawings.

19BFD345-8789-4FBE-9910-9CB4F7E6AE45.jpeg

martymim

RMS Regular
OP
martymim
Hi all,

The car after nearly three months has touched ground again.

Got topmounts made to suit an AirLift bearing and also become serviceable. The H&R mounts were a throw away part and the price of them definitely did not reflect that.

3AE4DD4A-5C09-448D-9877-353B16195B3B.jpeg

With the front discs skimmed and new pads on the first drive I lightly bedded them in and with every drive since they have been getting better and better.
I think the new colour sets off the calipers nicely.
After driving a VW Crafter for that long the car felt like driving a submarine.

5B282F6A-F187-439A-99F6-D66F2F865D74.jpeg

The car is sitting higher at the back now due to not having broken springs, height will be getting addressed after the MOT.

Roller < LINK

88999A27-8971-46A3-BC32-83FE716A0F5F.jpeg

Cheers
Mart

Last edited:

martymim

RMS Regular
OP
martymim
Them's pretty discs.

Been looking an upgrade on my own - how do you find them?

Cheers best bet is a breakers or eBay if you don't want to pay the premiums.

Think this is my favourite Mk7, lovely stuff.

Thank you, stiff competition with the shear amount of them on the roads.

Like this stance the best...but them I'm old!

I hear that pretty often, looks like a rally car to me hah