Steering Wheel Not Straight

Chris tii

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW 2002tii
I have a question. I picked up my new GR Yaris last week.

I quickly noticed that when driving in a straight line the wheel was was very slightly not straight. It was pointing to the right ever so slightly. When you move it to a perfectly straight position, the car steers to the left.

When driving in a straight line (with the wheel pointing slightly to the right), if you take your hands off the wheel, it’s doesn’t pull and will drive perfectly in a straight line.

No big deal, I took it back to the dealer to get the alignment done. They took it for a drive and told me the alignment is perfect. Though the wheel isn’t straight. So they will need the car for a few hours to remove the steering wheel and straighten it. They mentioned it might take a few goes and told me it’s going to add a few miles to the car? Basically trying to talk me out of it, and to get me to just live with it.

In my experience, is the way to do it not the opposite? I’ve had cars aligned before by @RubberLover on a proper laser machine. They lock the steering wheel in the perfect position, then adjust the wheels and line everything up that way. Am I wrong in thinking their making it harder than it needs to be?

Chris tii

RMS Regular
OP
Chris tii
Drives
BMW 2002tii
Sounds like it needs the steering arms adjusted a hair - poor form from the dealer if you ask me. Ivan or Gary would sort that no problem but shouldn’t really have to.

Yeah, I’ll pop into Ivan Kerrs tomorrow and see what they think.

Chris tii

RMS Regular
OP
Chris tii
Drives
BMW 2002tii
Have you got a print out of the alignment you can post?

No sorry. I don’t think they got that far, I’m pretty sure they just took it for drive up the carriageway and noticed it wasn’t pulling to the left or right.

RubberLover

RMS Regular
Problem with that is that what appears straight to one person can look slightly off to another.

From memory the GR has independent rear suspension so shouldn’t be an issue unless front camber or caster is out.

Give us a call first to book ahead thanks

Chris tii

RMS Regular
OP
Chris tii
Drives
BMW 2002tii
Problem with that is that what appears straight to one person can look slightly off to another.

From memory the GR has independent rear suspension so shouldn’t be an issue unless front camber or caster is out.

Give us a call first to book ahead thanks

Will do. Thanks. 👍

Rigger

RMS Regular
Drives
XJR A4 Avant
Yup, Ivan's yer man. Guess the dealer either don't know or don't want to do it.

I'd ask them about reimbursement. Definitely sounds like the alignment is out.

Won't take Ivan long to correct it, but the dealership should have been more proactive with you.

Zach57

RMS Regular
Mine was the same when I got it, got the alignment done and they said it was off a bit everywhere.
Take it to RubberLover because it sounds like the dealer doesn’t know what they’re at or they don’t want the work.

Chris tii

RMS Regular
OP
Chris tii
Drives
BMW 2002tii
Ats us nai.
Alignment was out. It’s a bit concerning that Charles Hurst wanted to remove the steering wheel to straighten it. 😂

IMG_2409.jpeg

Crow555

RMS Regular
Drives
Integra DC5R
I thought that too when you said it. Some models have a notch on the steering column spline meaning the wheel can only go on in that position, some Hondas are like that. No idea if Toyota have the same but I would say they do.

mikey

RMS Regular
Drives
Celica
Surely thats a warranty thing? I'd send the bill to Charles Hurst or Toyota UK
Alignment with VW is covered for 6months as far as I know (obviously not as a result of damage).

KevM

RMS Regular
Surely thats a warranty thing? I'd send the bill to Charles Hurst or Toyota UK

Not warranty as such (nothing is broken) but Hurst should have picked up on it at the stage of PDI. Suggesting removing the steering wheel to fix it is LOL'able

eamon343

RMS Regular
when the dealer said the alignment was perfect, did they actually measure it or just because it drove in a straight line?