steering

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
i noticed a few days ago when my steering wheel is level, the car actually turns slightly to the right, so for the wheels to go straight, the wheel has to be slightly left. now, the more i think about it, the more i decide theres no way its been like that since i got the car and it must have happened in the last couple of weeks.

any ideas what it could be / how to fix?

Ev206

RMS Regular
Get your alignment corrected, could have happend by hitting a pot hole, or a bit of bad parking

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
Ev206 said:
a bit of bad parking

:?: pot hole it is then! always make sure im at least a foot from the kerb to protect the wheels :p

getting two new tyres next week and getting the tracking done anyway, so ill just get allignment done when im there. (same place??)

Dermot

You've probley bent a steering arm slightly... Nothin Major, You just need to get the Alignment reset, But all of places that do steering alignment Only set the 2 wheels straight, They dont bother about how the steering whens sitting...

Or as I got told in Cadwells in Strabane, "You think I give a **** how the steerings sitting" When I asked the guy to try Align it Straight.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
if a part is bent, does it not need replaced??

Dermot

Not always... go get your alignment set and they'll tell you..
Bent/Kinked Steering arms can be re-adjusted to the right lenght...
Also if You've lower the front of the car since you've had it, You might have put the Steering Wheel out with the Castor angle or something...

Also if you've had the steering alignment done before and they just Set the Front wheels straight by Moving 1 trackrod end Instead of the 2, this could cause it...

S_Gault

RMS Regular
its a difference in castor from one side to other, nothing to do with front track as most think

Steven

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
so getting the allignment done doesnt fix it steven?

gambit, do you speak of hurst down by the odessey?

Lyons

RMS Moderator
OP
Lyons
Drives
X5 / 435D
good stuff. ill get the tyres and tracking done first, then maybe pop down

S_Gault

RMS Regular
most people dont.

its common mod on racers.. but on a road car its easiest done on the top mount.

Steven

S_Gault

RMS Regular
if you rotate it you;ll change the camber too, and the king pin and the track...part of the fun of suspension setup.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.