Stone chip kits or smart repairs

Chris100

RMS Regular
Drives
718 T
Hey all,

Has anyone any experience of chip kits such as chipex?

Im looking for a decent smart repair system to take care of a couple of stone chips that are really annoying me.

Also happy to have a professional deal with it if anyone has any recommendations, I would prefer someone who comes to you as I can’t take the time off work at the moment.

Cheers,
Chris

ShaunB

RMS Regular
I've used chipex before on a two different coloured cars, but it was a very long time ago, in fact probably 10 years ago.
It definitely took the bad look off them, patience was key though, something I don't have a whole lot of.

I have a couple on chips on my current E63, but my intention is to leave it in with Pete in PMG to get sorted at some point fairly soon.

Eager

RMS Regular
Drives
broooooom
No touch in is ever going to be perfect. I’d just get a touch in yourself and take your time and dab it in and sand/buff back.
might take the bad look off it, other than that painty paint time.

Martyn

RMS Regular
I have used chipex or possibly a Dr colour kit on a white car and the results proved to be fantastic.

I would say on metallic sliver it would a completely different story.

You could always buy a kit and try in a hidden area to see what it turns out like - they are always doing discounts on the kits.

KevM

RMS Regular
Avoid smart repairs imo, Chipex will get it less noticeable but not anything like the videos! You’ll do a comparable job with decent touch up paint

They probably wouldn't do it unless it's contained to the bumper.

A touch-in requires lots of time and patience to not look crap. Its gonna be a respray job, or live with it.

Chris100

RMS Regular
OP
Chris100
Drives
718 T
Anyone recommend a painter then? How much am I looking for a wing? Would I need the whole frontend painted in order to blend it in?

Walder

RMS Regular
Great tip i seen on youtube for the DIY touch up kit.

Use a cocktail stick or something similar to out a decent drop amount into the chip and build it up.

Worked well for mr estimate how much to fill the chip get q comparable drop on the end and place it in.

I echo the above if its a daily try it yourself and you might be surprised but if you can't live with it get it sprayed.

I used a fella few years back for two wings on my a4 he did a great job not too expensive either.

He worked out of the old mill just off the seven mile straight i think hes rpm vehicle repairs

Eager

RMS Regular
Drives
broooooom
Great tip i seen on youtube for the DIY touch up kit.

Use a cocktail stick or something similar to out a decent drop amount into the chip and build it up.

Worked well for mr estimate how much to fill the chip get q comparable drop on the end and place it in.

I echo the above if its a daily try it yourself and you might be surprised but if you can't live with it get it sprayed.

I used a fella few years back for two wings on my a4 he did a great job not too expensive either.

He worked out of the old mill just off the seven mile straight i think hes rpm vehicle repairs

its likely paddy at Antrim accident repairs, he’s in beside RPM. Very good job on 3 cars bumpers for me, easily on par with top body shops.

J55NI

RMS Regular
I would be more annoyed if the colour match wasn't correct after getting the the panel painted. It could stand our more than a stone chip IMO

Walder

RMS Regular
its likely paddy at Antrim accident repairs, he’s in beside RPM. Very good job on 3 cars bumpers for me, easily on par with top body shops.
Winner winner you are right paddy done a great job on th4 wings of the A4 just couldn't remember him

Screenshot_20210630_173407_com.android.contacts.jpg

Chris100

RMS Regular
OP
Chris100
Drives
718 T
I wouldn’t take it anywhere else other than AG automotive, them get that PPF :p

The one stone chip that is annoying me was there when I bought the car, if it had of happened after I had decided not to get the front PPF’d I would be seriously pissed off with myself 😀

MarkM

RMS Regular
The one stone chip that is annoying me was there when I bought the car, if it had of happened after I had decided not to get the front PPF’d I would be seriously pissed off with myself 😀

I got two chips under the drivers side headlamp two days before PPF, touched them up and went ahead with the film anyway but they annoy me every time I wash it, I’ve always said some day I’ll paint and re-film it, but that’s a load of money I can do without pissing away lol