Strange noise from front of car when pulling away..

Meeky

RMS Regular
Drives
Corsa VXR
Just looking to see if anyone has had the same issue as me and got it resolved.

I drive a VW Golf GTI MK6 2011 with 69k on it. When pulling away slowly or reversing slowly I am getting a loud noise coming from the front area.

It feels like it comes up the steering wheel and will completely disappear when driving on.

Read online it could be the sub frame moving but got VW to look at it and tighten the bolts underneath. Still no joy and they have no idea what it could.

Anyone on here any thoughts or ideas?

Appreciate any info!

Cheers

Meeky

RMS Regular
OP
Meeky
Drives
Corsa VXR
Sorry for getting back late to this! Its like a a dry metal sound as if something is rubbing against something else. No knocks or squeals.

You have any issues with that with yours mate?

greyfloppyhat

RMS Regular
Does it change based on the steering input when you drive away or reverse? i.e driving straight back and forward without steering produces the noise also

Gavlar

RMS Regular
Are your brake disc dust shields loose? Can cause all sorts of grinding metal noises

Meeky

RMS Regular
OP
Meeky
Drives
Corsa VXR
Does it change based on the steering input when you drive away or reverse? i.e driving straight back and forward without steering produces the noise also
Hard to say mate but it does make me feel its part of the steering that is doing it but not exactly sure as VW weren't even sure after looking at it!

@Gavlar Recently had my front discs and pads replaced there and the noise is still happening. Feels like its coming directly from under the engine area but stomped on exactly what :/

greyfloppyhat

RMS Regular
The brake dust shields is a good shout.

Did VW take the splash sheild off when inspecting?
I wonder if the turbo shield around the drivers side cv is loose?

_Stu_

RMS Regular
I had this with my Mk6 GTI and was convinced it was brake related. After much investigation and headache it turned out to be the clutch slave cylinder. Could be worth investigating.

greyfloppyhat

RMS Regular
I had this with my Mk6 GTI and was convinced it was brake related. After much investigation and headache it turned out to be the clutch slave cylinder. Could be worth investigating.
Release bearing in the slave perhaps?

I just had to do the slave in ours, it's a gearbox out job šŸ˜­ but it's not that bad difficulty wise, just takes time

Meeky

RMS Regular
OP
Meeky
Drives
Corsa VXR
Yeah i'll get someone to check the dust shields when i'm next in then! Not sure if they did or not i think they just tightened bolts etc on the subframe an had a quick look.

@_Stu_ now that you mention that, when i'm releasing the clutch slowly as well to move off it tends to happen then i can feel it come up the steering wheel at times. Much are we talking for a clutch slave cylinder :worried:

Meeky

RMS Regular
OP
Meeky
Drives
Corsa VXR

I just had to do the slave in ours, it's a gearbox out job šŸ˜­ but it's not that bad difficulty wise, just takes time

Ugh not sure what this will cost me now :worried: if its worth getting done i will eventually as plan on keeping the car for a few more years as well. When you hear gearbox you always think the worst :sweat:

_Stu_

RMS Regular

Yes it was the release bearing! Remember it was something to do with the clutch but couldnā€™t remember exactly. Iā€™m not entirely sure how much it cost as I ended up getting a new clutch anyway but it wasnā€™t horrendous to be honest.

Meeky

RMS Regular
OP
Meeky
Drives
Corsa VXR
Yes it was the release bearing! Remember it was something to do with the clutch but couldnā€™t remember exactly. Iā€™m not entirely sure how much it cost as I ended up getting a new clutch anyway but it wasnā€™t horrendous to be honest.

I'll have to get the release bearing checked out then! Aye know a guy who can sort me out hopefully cheap enough lol thanks for the input lads (y)

greyfloppyhat

RMS Regular
I'll have to get the release bearing checked out then! Aye know a guy who can sort me out hopefully cheap enough lol thanks for the input lads (y)
You may as well renew the clutch if your going to the effort of removing the box to be honest. Unless the clutch/flywheel is fairly fresh

Meeky

RMS Regular
OP
Meeky
Drives
Corsa VXR
You may as well renew the clutch if your going to the effort of removing the box to be honest. Unless the clutch/flywheel is fairly fresh
Was thinking this would be the next step :/ nah its never been replaced and i've 69.5k on it so not sure what to do now :worried:

greyfloppyhat

RMS Regular
Are the slaves not mounted externally on those boxes ? Mk5 etc are
Only the 1.9tdi's unfortunately as far as I'm aware, the issue isn't potentially with the slave it's the release bearing. The slave and bearing are integrated on the 6 speeds

Last edited:

Meeky

RMS Regular
OP
Meeky
Drives
Corsa VXR
So basically i'm best getting a new clutch fitted down the line as it will solve the problem. If not replaced soon would it do anything major or just keep being creaky and noisy?

greyfloppyhat

RMS Regular
So basically i'm best getting a new clutch fitted down the line as it will solve the problem. If not replaced soon would it do anything major or just keep being creaky and noisy?
Hard to say as all this is just theory, it may not be the release bearing but I think you should be able to confirm it by doing a few starts and listening to how the noise changes passed on clutch position. Maybe try slowly pull away on a hill and see if the noise is there, if it is then try pull away on the same hill by just letting of the brake and rolling off. That should help decided if it's the clutch or not.

IF this is the issue then it would be the same as any other bearing, it could go on for 1000 miles, it could come apart after 10. Who knows

Meeky

RMS Regular
OP
Meeky
Drives
Corsa VXR
Yeah i tried that before and when coming off the clutch slowly it makes the noise, when free rolling without the clutch there is no noise so looks like the clutch will need sorted. As long as it doesnt do any damage i can last until end of the year or maybe next at some point hopefully lol if it comes apart is it time for a new clutch then :worried:

greyfloppyhat

RMS Regular
Like others as said it's probably just the release bearing. I'd drop the box out and get it changed over sooner rather than later.
While the box is off take a look at the clutch and flywheel, you can gauge then whether it's worth renewing them now or not.

Just replacing that slave will hopefully cure it, but it's more whether it's worth just doing the clutch and all now if you're going to the expense of taking the box off.

If you can take the box off yourself then happy days

dddrrift

RMS Regular
could be the rivets on the clutch plate... new clutch kit and bearing would be my guess

try a hill start and ride the clutch a bit, should make the noise. Wouldn't drive too long, because if its the flywheel side that's worn you'll be needing a new DMF aswell

Meeky

RMS Regular
OP
Meeky
Drives
Corsa VXR
Yeah i know a fella that can check it our for me anyways but will have to wait until summer time :worried: yeah hill start as well it makes the noise, normally louder when its cold and not as loud when warm weather but its still there. Yeah dont want anything going on me right now as just spent a good bit on the car!

Thanks for the info lads (y)

Meeky

RMS Regular
OP
Meeky
Drives
Corsa VXR
Found out online there may have been some sort of recall on this issue. Trying with Vw Belfast to see what they say as I have a technical bulletin I found online from someone elses job. Comes up under TSB 2028783 in case anyone else is having the same problem.