Stretched tyres and the law.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Shaun Costello

RMS Regular
Drives
MK7 Fiesta Zetec
Just wanting some advice on stretched tyres and the law,
Is there any definitive law that states against the use of stretched tyres?

I have 8 inch wide wheels so 203 mm with 195 tyres so the stretch is minimal,
However I was told last night that it wouldn't pass mot by a police officer,

Anyone have any ideas ?

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
You're talking of 7mm difference so it isn't that much and personally I wouldn't worry about it - when it starts looking like this, I would be concerned and worried!

10J_195_45_13.jpg

Gavlar

RMS Regular
Think Adrian Flux used to ask what tire size I used on my modifications form as I said I had aftermarket wheels.Always remember writing it on the form, not 100% sure if they asked for it or I just gave it though

KeithRobinson

RMS Regular
Drives
911Turbo
From an insurance perspective, if you've advised your company that you've changed your alloy wheels, and they are happy with this, then everything else comes back to wether it's within legal limits.

I've no idea wether its legal or not.

Keith

Neil Kirkpatrick

RMS Regular
Drives
Subaru Impreza P
All tyre manfacture have a specifation on what size of rims there tyre are designed for. Usally the maximum rim width for a 195 is between 7 to 7.5 inches but that can vary with profile and diameter and of couse tyre brand. Normally when its exceeds the tyre manfactures limits it is deemed ilegal

Last edited:

Ben

RMS Regular
Drives
Jaaaag XF-S
Also even it passes MOT a police officer could still deem it not roadworthy if they feel like it. Extremely grey area. If you want to be 100% sure then follow the manufacturers recommendations of tyre size. Falken "allow" a 195 on an 8" wheel, and if it passes MOT then a police officer has no grounds to stand on to try and prosecute.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
and if it passes MOT then a police officer has no grounds to stand on to try and prosecute.

Bollox they dont.

Passing an MOT and being road legal/safe are not the same thing.

The only way to be sure it is deemed safe, is to contact the tyre manufacturer and get their views on it.
The legal aspect is a grey area, but if the police try to prosecute you, it would be up to you to prove your innocence and legality.

And of course see the article I linked to above.

Ben

RMS Regular
Drives
Jaaaag XF-S
Bollox they dont.

Passing an MOT and being road legal/safe are not the same thing.

The only way to be sure it is deemed safe, is to contact the tyre manufacturer and get their views on it.
The legal aspect is a grey area, but if the police try to prosecute you, it would be up to you to prove your innocence and legality.

And of course see the article I linked to above.

Why would you misquote me like that? I first stated that "even if it passes MOT a police officer could still deem it not roadworthy"
What I said was that if it passes mot AND is within the manufacturers limits, then you are ok.

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
Just wanting some advice on stretched tyres and the law,
Is there any definitive law that states against the use of stretched tyres?

I have 8 inch wide wheels so 203 mm with 195 tyres so the stretch is minimal,
However I was told last night that it wouldn't pass mot by a police officer,

Anyone have any ideas ?

I will make it simple for you, it sounds like your rims are made for a 205 tyre maybe 215

A 195 tyre will be a small stretch and will be fine.

But my view is unless you have a set of expensive and rare rims you want to use and they are sitting out a bit wide and need a stretched tyre to fit the arch, then don't stretch your tyres.

I do like a small stretch, but only if the car is low enough to pull it off, but I think a nice square wall looks best and also when corner with stretched tyres, even normal driving never mind spirited driving, you will be driving slightly on the wall of the tyre, which wears it and also weakens the bead/wall which you don't want to do.

Also wear/rubbing writing off the side wall and marking the side wall can cause an mot failure

Sorry that didn't end up simple.

But yes your small stretch will be absolutely fine I think

Shaun Costello

RMS Regular
OP
Shaun Costello
Drives
MK7 Fiesta Zetec
Not really sure, I fit tyres, and I don't know myself,
I will have to check with toyo to see there guidelines, the wheels in question don't stick out past the arch, they also have a very deep lip that the bead is blown out onto, 16x8 3sdms

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
Father has a tyre fitting business as well, so have a bit of experience.

What profile would you be running?

Shaun Costello

RMS Regular
OP
Shaun Costello
Drives
MK7 Fiesta Zetec
195, obviously it's stretched I'm not denying that, it's just how much it's stretched by

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
Also compared with the state of some of the tyres a lot people drive with in this country, stretched tyres are pretty safe

Shaun Costello

RMS Regular
OP
Shaun Costello
Drives
MK7 Fiesta Zetec
I agree working where I work the things that come in are quite rediculous! All tyres where brand new when I was stopped

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
Sorry misread your first post, missed that you were actually asking the legal side of things.

I have been told the only written law I'd that the thread pattern of the tyre has to be within the arches of the car. Also was told this is where stretched tyres first came from, with people wanting wide wheels but having to keep the thread pattern in the arch, tho has got out of hand.

^^^this may not be correct but this is what I was told once.

Has he give you a warning or anything? Or just told you in a kinda heads up, helpful way that they won't pass mot?

avo5021

RMS Regular
Whilst I dont think it is law, it should be. Dangerous stretches are just that ( plus stupid looking )

http://www.btmauk.com/data/files/Euro_look_tyres_31_May_2011.pdf

The BTMAUK pdf is exactly what Police work too, if it falls outside of this it then falls into the category of "Vehicle in Dangerous condition" that "May" be dealt with by means of a Fixed Penalty ticket (Endorsable carrying 3 points) or Prosecution.

Just to re-iterate just because something passes MOT it doesn't mean it's legal.

Ben

RMS Regular
Drives
Jaaaag XF-S
That PDF is very vague. Doesn't state that the tyre should be within the tyre manufacturers specification. Just gives 2 tyre sizes (no specific brand) and numbers saying which width of wheels they could fit. And shows a very extreme example of stretch on a tyre.

Why doesn't it say that slight stretch actually stiffens the sidewall, therefore making the tyre more resistant to coming off under hard driving. Why do you think professional drifters run stretched tyres? Two sides to everything.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.