Subaru BRZ is Hidden Gem in Range

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Graham

RMS Photographer
Drives
Press Cars
See the blog feature on this -As a long time admirer of the Subaru brand, mainly due to its huge success in rallying over the years, I was looking forward to getting my hands on the updated 2017 Subaru BRZ at the UK press launch and first drives at the start of the week.

Arriving at Cowley manor in the Cotswold area of England I was greeted with quite the line up of cars outside the main house as alongside the improved Subaru BRZ was a line up of 2017 Subaru Levorg’s which I will report on in the coming days.

For anyone but a true petrol head, the BRZ may be an unknown, because to the untrained eye it is more or less a Toyota GT86 and this basically is the case, or perhaps, is it that the better known GT86 is more or less a BRZ?

Whichever way you look upon it, in simple terms Subaru and Toyota joined forces some years ago to create a real drivers car – a back to basics front engine, rear-wheel drive, 2 plus 2 with Subaru’s potent boxer engine being used whilst Toyota developed most of the rest.

Being a company producing nothing but all-wheel drive vehicles, it didn’t make sense for Subaru to set about developing a small rear-wheel drive sports coupe from scratch and as such both manufacturers got the best that each could offer each other and we the driver get a great car no matter which brand you may be loyal to.

Each brand then set about fine tuning and refining their own models to best suit their customers needs and to set them apart from each other. Read the Full Article Here

Read the Entire Article Here

weeloaney

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS AERO
They must be built by Subaru and developed by Toyota or something like that.

When I worked on a GT86 there was Toyota badges or stickers covering Subaru stamps in the metal where seen and behind the door cards everything's Subaru.

Even chassis plates/stickers were Subaru style just with a Toyota badge.

One example is on the wing where it bolts to the inner wing there's a Toyota badge, pull it off and the wings got a Subaru stamp.

Cool wee cars tho

BobSpounge

RMS Regular
Had a soft spot for these and the Toyota from they were launched. Was very close to signing on the dotted line for a GT 86 TRD and then the Golf R lease came up. Sometimes I regret that decision.

Dave..

RMS Regular
The Toyota is better finished inside, I looked at a brz before I bought my gt86.

Graham

RMS Photographer
OP
Graham
Drives
Press Cars
The Toyota is better finished inside, I looked at a brz before I bought my gt86.
the 17MY cars put the Subaru on par if not slightly ahead, better value for the same spec also with the BRZ by about £1500 and the BRZ handles much nicer

Dave..

RMS Regular
the 17MY cars put the Subaru on par if not slightly ahead, better value for the same spec also with the BRZ by about £1500 and the BRZ handles much nicer
I borrowed a 17MY Toyota from CH Dundonald a few weeks ago. Much nicer place to be than my one except I had full leather.
They need more power.

Graham

RMS Photographer
OP
Graham
Drives
Press Cars
I borrowed a 17MY Toyota from CH Dundonald a few weeks ago. Much nicer place to be than my one except I had full leather.
They need more power.
i agree'd until i actually enjoyed them for what they are over a length of time and then realised they are perfect

T66 DNP

RMS Regular
Drives
320i M Sport
I recently sold my GT86 after near 3yrs of ownership and daily driving. I really enjoyed the car and it always put a smile on my face. I would have bought another except the fact that I didn't really like the look of the new face-lift. And...i have to agree with David.S...the car really needs an extra 20-30bhp as standard to give it more of a sense of urgency on the 0-62 run. Perhaps at some stage in the future I may treat myself to another one, depending on how it evolves. Good write-up Graham though.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.