Subaru Impreza WRX 2001 - Progress Tracker

donegaldave

RMS Member
Drives
WRX
Hi everyone,

Just joined the forum today while browsing for some random items for the car so thought I'd post up some photos of the WRX I picked up back in March and the progress/changes made to it since.. Haven't had a scooby for over ten years so was high time I got one again. I bought it pretty much blind from an ad I saw online as it was supposedly needing just a turbo and it was at handy money so i took the chance. So I bought and paid for it got it shipped by to Ireland straight to Paul Wray Motorsport (formerly in Strabane, now in Derry) who I was told many times in the past is a genius with Subarus and having met and chatted to him a number of times now it's easy to see why people say that. His skyline is absolutely unreal by the way (y)đź‘Ś.

The car was bought to be a cheap bit of power and to get the youngfella interested more in cars - which he is now! But it hasn't turned out that way as it was soon found out that it wasn't just the turbo that was gone but instead there was zero compression in cylinder 3 so the hunt began for a replacement engine 🤦‍♂️ which was a massive shame as the car has a full Subaru service history up to 138k and the engine was on 142k at the time but hey these things happen.Most importantly there's no rust on the arches so i decided that I'd then go at it and do it my way and not worry too much about the cost of the"build".
So after a few issues a good fresh engine was sourced and it has now been fitted and in the one run I've had it seems OK but then I've only drove it from the garage straight to the bodywork man to get the exterior sorted but getting it back hopefully tomorrow and it should be finished externally also and have a trip booked to see Peter Simmons tomorrow evening to get it remapped.
So when I bought it I was told it had a lot of the STI upgrades and it turns out it did but I've added a front mount and a VF35 onto it while I was at it as well as changing all the belts etc.. Hoping for some decent figures tomorrow evening with Peter.

So when I bought it it had:
STI top mount intercooler - will now be for sale
Bailey dump valve - will now be for sale
TD04 turbo - not sure if it is actually bollocksed so I must check
STI Pinks
APS Wing mount induction kit - relocated to bay due to the fmic pipework
Full straight through 3" decat exhaust system
Walbro 255 fuel pump
Tein Lowering Springs all round - sits a bit high for my liking on front so open to changing these
Front splitter - cracked to **** so been replaced
17" Hawkeye WRX wheels
Hawkeye WRX Interior
Boost gauge
Carbon Fibre Spoiler - painted same colour as the car - probably worth a few pound that

And since I've bought it I've bought a number of things for it and have most fitted just a few bits still to go on including:
Front Mount Intercooler with dump valve (not sure on brand so may change it but has an OK sound)
VF 35 Turbo
18" Team Dynamics 1.2 Alloys
Full Hawkeye STI Interior - including carpet, matts and doorcards
Front lip
Rear Spats
Vortex Spoiler
Rear diffuser
Side extensions
JDM Headlights - have standard set to sell and another set of JDM ones for anyone looking for ones
Standard Bugeye tail lights
Missing grill pieces
Fog covers
Various interior pieces

There's probably some bits I'm missing out but that's most of it and I'll post updates as I go. This will also be a good record/tracker for me. Would be good to hear from anyone who knew of the car previously as I'm told it was already mapped for a VF35 so hopefully the licence is on the ECU already for it. Lots of pictures below and I'll be adding to them as I go along.

Currently still looking for the rubber mat for the boot, replacement keys(getting in Glasgow) and suggestions on stickers for outside as I don't want to go down the route of STI stickers as it's not something I'm fond of branding a car as something that it's clearly not.

Cheers for looking and anyone has any comments or suggestions fire away at me. I'm fairly easy led seeing as I've been out of the game for so long! Can't wait to get this thing going properly now!
Screenshot_20190309-172545.jpg
Screenshot_20190309-172550.jpg
Screenshot_20190309-172601.jpg
Screenshot_20190309-172612.jpg
Screenshot_20190309-172625.jpg
Screenshot_20190323-191205.jpg
Screenshot_20190309-172601.jpg
FB_IMG_1554730431629.jpg
IMG_20190330_111220.jpg