Subaru STI GC8 - Race/Track Journey

GT_MAXER

RMS Regular
I thought i should start doing a small thread on my Subaru journey, the ups and downs. The parts to make me quicker and also show the results and track day videos here etc.
So to start off the engine, turbo and all the main components are standard as is the clutch and gearbox ( i want to see how far i can 'safely' take the unit)
333.jpg

222.jpg
IMG_0002.JPG
IMG_9575.JPG
555.jpg

I have it Self Mapped to run 1.2bar (nothing major there) but its a nice place to start sorting brakes (another story) and chassis (currently on good Tein coilovers but need a good geometry setup)

Next stage :
AP 6POTS with CL pads
Swirl Pot (anyone who knows subarus will know they dont like pullings high G's going right as the fuel moves away from fuel pickup
Oil Cooler (on the trackdays i got to about 112c which is ok but i would not want much higher).
New Fuel tank (as my car was stored away for many years the inside of the tank has some rush which breaks down with fuel so this needs replaced)

August Track day (first 2 sessions running use AD08's)

Attachments

• IMG_8613.JPG
    IMG_8613.JPG
    157.9 KB · Views: 318

GT_MAXER

RMS Regular
OP
GT_MAXER
Some were asking how i road tune myself-
The ECU is an ESL setup, i use MegaLog Viewer to view each log after a run and adjust accordingly.
I also use the laptop to monitor my AFR/LOAD and soon EGT. I can then bring the AFR values into my ECU log and combine the boost, MAF, load and rev to see how im fueling in each gear at any given load, boost or load level.

I am going MAFLESS soon also, BOSCH sensor is on its way to remove the MAF.
here is the Zeitronix Dash i use and have in my clear view so i can see how things are at all times. Its the ZT2 so can have boost and EGT also (EGT probe is being installed soon)
This also is sent to log on the laptop with the ECU logs (even at trackdays)differing temps, fuel types, octane ratings etc.
777.jpg

a screenshot of a log from Sunday past, all very safe levels, the important thing here and with any turbo car is boost spike, i have this now coming on boost and staying flat.
logdemo.jpg

bigsigh

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW M2
setup looking excellent Gareth , i dunno if you have already bought the Zeitronix EGT sensor , but any of the cheapies work equally as well at fractions of the cost (y)

GT_MAXER

RMS Regular
OP
GT_MAXER
setup looking excellent Gareth , i dunno if you have already bought the Zeitronix EGT sensor , but any of the cheapies work equally as well at fractions of the cost (y)
I just bought egt probe and all at same time. I know there are great copies I heard of burn out and that so gave it a miss.
Bosch probe ordered and HEL oil cooler kit today. Need to get probe welded on and start mapping all Over again for fuel table etc
Love it, looks in good shape too!

Nice house also.
Cheers, I just want my garage finished lol

GT_MAXER

RMS Regular
OP
GT_MAXER
Next track day for 13th September is booked ..BUT

I have the following to have fitted by then-
New fuel tank ordered, to be delivered in 1 week (this is a big job, on the lift, rear axle out or dropped massivly, exhaust out, pipes off and harnesses. The pipe thats are in here have not moved since 1998 so i will most probably have to hard pipes, breakages and issues.
s-l1600.jpg

I will also be fitting a 'home made' anti surge baffle onto my Fuel pump in tank for now until i go swirl pot/pump setup (there is only 2 areas i need this @ Kirkistown.

Oil cooler kit Order - Will need fitted but as its a full HEL kit it comes with everything i need and sandwich plate.
Hel_Performance_Oil_Cooler_System_Subaru_Impreza_19932000_Turbo_3860_911.jpg

I have also ordered the full AP Big brake kit + CL RC6 pads, now i expect the car to feel different on braking and going by experience this will most probably unsettle the rear of the car on hard braking as the rear pads are so small and wont work enough. These rear pads will have to do until i see how it works and also i save some money up.

With this big brake kits comes another issue, i can now only run 18s, i always used the 17" for the slicks and 18" for the Wets. I will have to buy another set of alloys and 18" slicks asap.

cauld1

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E34
Great project! Finally just started into my 95 wrx ra as I want something fun to use when I have my bm off the road being turboed.

Would you recommend the tein coilovers or just go with likes of bcs or kyb dampers and eibach springs? Going to be using it just as a fun road car that I can take to a track day or sprint / hill in the future if I want. Planning to rebush the while thing and tidy up everything underneath generally.

GT_MAXER

RMS Regular
OP
GT_MAXER
Great project! Finally just started into my 95 wrx ra as I want something fun to use when I have my bm off the road being turboed.

Would you recommend the tein coilovers or just go with likes of bcs or kyb dampers and eibach springs? Going to be using it just as a fun road car that I can take to a track day or sprint / hill in the future if I want. Planning to rebush the while thing and tidy up everything underneath generally.
Honestly I'd recommend the twins, I have dampers and uprated springs in my 22b replica and once I get it into my garage and started I will be taking them out, the subaru does need complete adjustment, height, camber etc.

Wrx ra is a great base, you already have what I'd like, weight saving I bought this car for the road and now I don't intend to have it on the road I need to consider window motor weight etc.

bigsigh

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW M2

I would get a run in a similar car with the suspension you are thinking of, its a pretty personal thing IMO , but i despised the BC's i had in my RA and did all of 100 miles in them before going back to a decent spring shock combo , but it was 100% road car.

S2K-Aaron

RMS Regular
Drives
Daily Hack
Good Job Gareth, your making the for hanged anyway. Your coming on well around Kirky. I need to buy something to take around there for a bash lol

GT_MAXER

RMS Regular
OP
GT_MAXER
Does anyone else ever get serious anxiety that you will not be ready for the next trackday?!? (there is bigger problems i keep telling myself and if i miss it i miss it i can go on the next one). All the above items have each been delayed, i got a message from each of the sellers, now the delay is only 3-4days but its already tight.

On another note: my Bosch air temp sensor and aluminium bung has arrived, this will allow me to remove my MAF. Not needed for the trackday and not really needed at all at my standard power levels but will be needed if the turbo was changed and boost was increased. This will be welded on close to the throttle body, the best place i feel is between it and the DV (it cant be too close the DV so 3-4inch away is fine).

GT_MAXER

RMS Regular
OP
GT_MAXER
The fuel tank with the car being stored away for so many years ended up with rust pickup inside it, the filter then is getting clogged on the walbro, i can maybe do a bit of a diy job by draining the tank, drying and using a rust converter or sealer on the inside and then cleaning very well.

The fuel surge isnt the main problem i can work with that with a quick swirl pot setup or intank baffle.

GT_MAXER

RMS Regular
OP
GT_MAXER
plus we are away the friday and the saturday at the lough erne to get a good rubbing so ill have to have it ready sitting to go before this. Im sure it will be sorted, it would just be handier if i was still 'Working' from home.

pablo

RMS Moderator
we are doing mondello 2nd Oct if you dont make Kirky

but be nice to have it out for a good shakedown before travelling all that way

Gambit

RMS Regular
The fuel tank with the car being stored away for so many years ended up with rust pickup inside it, the filter then is getting clogged on the walbro, i can maybe do a bit of a diy job by draining the tank, drying and using a rust converter or sealer on the inside and then cleaning very well.

The fuel surge isnt the main problem i can work with that with a quick swirl pot setup or intank baffle.
Is the tank not plastic in them? i could have swore it was. rust would be coming from the filler neck which rots out on them

EDIT: seems they aint plastic - new one to me