Subaru STI GC8 - Race/Track Journey

GT_MAXER

RMS Regular
OP
GT_MAXER
I'd advice the fpr matey, the vf28 i believe comes on pretty hard when it does so you want the rails under some pressure. OMA will know well anyway. i didnt go 3port, havnt needed it yet.
I’m getting a link G4+ fitted and mapped by OMA pretty soon hopefully. I think the max boost I can run is around 1.4 bar on the VF28, 440 injectors and the 3 port boost solenoid, I might have to run a FPR too. If I can get about 330/340 and similar torque that would be nice on the road. I’ll just have wait and see what Michael says.

GT_MAXER

RMS Regular
OP
GT_MAXER
Famous last words as they say but to be fair Mr. Subaru did build an ok engine, for a 1998 standard 'soft' engine and still the same clutch i have to say im suprised it still goes ok! Especially since ive done all the mapping and small mods!!!!

Kirkistown on Sunday i arrived without laptop charged and hadnt time before going there to setup my fueling so i was running 12AFR throught he rev range ( i always want to run 11 up to 6800 were i lower to 10.8ish. But for the first 2 sessions i was still giving it a good blast apart from both straights were i didnt rev out fully or go flat to keep the load down. @plexo lent me his laptop, downloaded my ESL software and we plugged in to allow me to quickly give it alot more fuel and lower boost to be safe. This helped but i also found an annoying uppipe leak which impacted AFRS also and boost so i was down on power again due to this fooking uppipe, new bolts ordered!

So the day went well and the car performed well, engine lived its life in the 5500-7500 rev range during the day, EGT's seems to stay around 800-900 on a hard thrashing. Geometry changes have worked so far and i feel i now have a good base after i went agressive 3.5camber on front and a caster mod with 4minutes toe out. Whiteline ARBs seems to work well, rear may be too hard on full hard setting if its a wet day we will see. Swirl pot works well, i can run to almost empty now without issue (as i found out as my fuel gauge has stopped working). Brakes are amazing and are actually showing the weakness now of the tyres on hard braking due to the tyre ground coverage.

I can be more agressive in all corners but for now im still adjusting to new settings on the car, Deptors i can probably got another 4-5mph faster and hairpin i will start using 2nd to see if that helps. 1.06.20 lap time still and from harrys laptimer i am faster in the corners and out of them but down on straightline speed due the boost leak i think.

Next mods will again hope to make it slightly faster, nothing drastic i enjoy the small incremental changes plus i think the front needs PPF from following so many cars the front is like a war zone with tyre marks, stone chips and the remains of R888s.

Video coming

GT_MAXER

RMS Regular
OP
GT_MAXER
flip me - car hasnt moved in 5 months, its been laying snug in a heated garage on stands awaiting me to fit a new version of the slip jointed harvey uppipe. we had another baby born so time was not there, but i eventually fitted this over the weekend there and airflow has went up about 10% and boost holds now fulling through the rev range and picks up much faster, amazing what +8mm makes on the outlet on the uppipe. It even feels like it wants to go like a stabbed rabbit on part throttle. there was so much air increase i had to increase fueling more. But...after 15+years of owning this car and thinking id never sell it the time has come to move it on to someone else who i hope will treat it well and enjoy it as its intended. I want to move onto the next level of power and car setup (which would require cutting up of the gc8 body which on this car i just cannot do).

I will be getting the car detailed, serviced ready for the next trackday or to MOT and she will be put up for sale i have enjoyed every minute of this car on track, around the coast roads and working/learning with it.
55555 (2).jpg

44444.jpg

bigsigh

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW M2
Congratulations on the baby , shocked you are letting the car go , but never a better time to sell. Well sorted Impreza for someone

GT_MAXER

RMS Regular
OP
GT_MAXER
Congratulations on the baby , shocked you are letting the car go , but never a better time to sell. Well sorted Impreza for someone
yea i just fancy going big stupid power and wide flared arches for bigger wheels so this would require cutting the body up which i would never do on this.

This is baby 3 lol. a 9year old who requires me as taxi to take him to football matches (he plays more than fooking professionals), a 3year old wingnut with too much energy and then a newborn time has went out the window.

GT_MAXER

RMS Regular
OP
GT_MAXER
no @pablo i really dont get much time at the minute but i will after christmas when the little one is up a bit more. id love to go give it one last blast before selling to feel the difference in power but someone else can enjoy that.