Subaru STI GC8 - Race/Track Journey

GT_MAXER

RMS Regular
OP
GT_MAXER
Well I found out tonight that petrol up the nose and down the throat is the most awful experience. My external pump that I would normally use gave in so I had to use the good old suck and get the flow started method. Anyway, inside the tank had spots or rust but nothing major(I'm still for changing) but the bottom of the tank had thick shavings of rust so it must be breaking down.
Syphoned into 25ltr jar you can see the amount

IMG_20200827_195610.jpg

Tank
IMG_20200827_195359.jpg

I also used this chance to change the walbro filter as it was a mess.
IMG_20200827_201204.jpg

Away to clear out my throat with a beer.
That might do for kirkistown as I feel I've enough of the bad stuff if not all out.

GT_MAXER

RMS Regular
OP
GT_MAXER
I ws thinking lastnight of sticking on some Barry white and lighting some romantic candles. Caught myself on thankfully.

I cleaned it out a bit after I took out of storage when I was putting new walbro on last year.

Walbros have a design flaw on their filter socks. They need a spring or something like the oe to prevent compression collapse when the pump is pulling.

GT_MAXER

RMS Regular
OP
GT_MAXER
Another amazing set of events. 2 alloy types i was going to order cannot be got due to manufacturing being closed or concentrating on a certain division. OZ was one and also Team Dynamics Prodrive division. I need 18" - 7.5wide, ET48 5x100. So found these at performancealloy and will collect them next week.
wheel.jpg

Then go and get Slicks for them hopefully some good 2nd hand ones available.

GT_MAXER

RMS Regular
OP
GT_MAXER
I shouldn't get so happy about a fuel tank arriving, but I have. Just need to get on lift and start the mammoth task of changing. The good thing is it came with a small built in anti slush lip, that won't stop fuel movement but will help with what I've planned. Now I have a clean tin tank with no fuel in it, I can weld in my own baffle.
IMG_20200903_212032.jpg IMG_20200903_212046.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20200903_212039.jpg
    IMG_20200903_212039.jpg
    175.8 KB · Views: 58

bigsigh

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW M2
AP's are a work of art , love the look of the jhooks too, good choice , cant wait to see them fitted

GT_MAXER

RMS Regular
OP
GT_MAXER
Its out with this old tank, the outside of the tank was dirty ofcourse but no rust, all pipes were in very good condition as was tank straps etc.
New one fitted and was alot lighter than the old one i took out, it was actually lighter than the 30ltr fuel cell i had in my 5 turbo.
23r2.jpg

I have some baffle foam on the way for this also, what i am going to do is try to force the baffle foam stuck into the bridge area between both bellys of the fuel tank, this way when i go around fast bends the fuel will find it hard moving from 1 belly to the next over the axle area.

Next the oil cooler was fitted behind the intercooler on a Mocal Thermostatic sandwich plate. I had to order another sandwich plate as the one i received had a weird thread setup which i could not match with any of my connector or even the Mocal Cooler itself. The pipe runs for this gets very close to the manifold/uppipe on the subaru so i had the oil lines wrapped in AN10 sealed Fire Sleeving. I then wrapped the manifold in 5layers of exhaust wrap as well as the pipes and fire sleeving (things get hot down there). The cooler itself cannot be seen at all.
ertetert (2).jpg

Next on the list
Bed in new brakes, unsure if the CL RC6 need bed in differently?
Fueling check and adjustment with new tank and fuel filter etc it will be now pumping a bit more efficiently
Geometry check
Slicks but Bill Adair says he will be at Kirkistown on the 11th so i will get my slicks fitted down there saving me a drive to Omagh.

boring update but it all needs done.

GT_MAXER

RMS Regular
OP
GT_MAXER
Baffle foam fitted in tank above axle nicely to reduce or stop completely the fuel movement through corners.
Washed the car for next weekend as I'll not have time this week.

Not much room here
IMG_20201002_181817.jpg
IMG_20201002_181736.jpg

IMG_20201002_184704.jpg
IMG_20201002_181745.jpg

RC6 don't need bedded in so tested and seem good.
Excuse the messy new garage, just built and stuff everywhere until I clear out and paint floors.

GT_MAXER

RMS Regular
OP
GT_MAXER
Yea I'm there next weekend. See how it goes, it will take a few laps getting used to brakes. Considering taking Wednesday off to go get slicks. Don't expect a massive difference but a little more consistent. Hope it stays dry for us. Can't wait to actually see if the baffle foam works (sad).

Was going to get someone to buff and apply ceramic I have to body this week, but unsure who can do in my garage for me, contacted 1 person but £500 is a bit much atm.

This will be pretty much all I'll be doing chassis side to the car, then might add a bit more power and move onto the 22b rep.
Looking really well sitting there and all the upgrades should make it a lot more enjoyable on track
Apart from the drivers door that's a slight different white which I must get sorted. I got it sprayed 2 years ago when it got accidently keyed