Super Unleaded NI

Boabybooster

RMS Regular
Drives
Skip
I've never read into it or researched it so this is a completely naive thing to suggest, but since we have access to aviation fuel, surely some sort of dilution ratio would be an alternative, like a 2 stroke hedge cutter or strimmer? adding 1 part aviation fuel to 10 parts super? something like that to get a higher ron number? I know it would be a technical exercise to work it out correctly, but maybe it would be worth mixing batches for those higher performance machines out there.
I have a close friend who would use it in his karts for racing.
Aviation fuel, jet a1/avtur is actually closer to diesel. You can run a diesel on aviation fuel with a small bit of hydraulic oil mixed in as avtur doesn’t have the lubrication like diesel does.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
I’m trying to keep things simple here. If we buy the exact same parts and follow the tuning process that the same car does in England, on English fuel. And we go to the same tuner, in England, our cars have struggled to make the power. Then if we put in their fuel, they make the power. That’s a pretty straight forward assessment.

I’m not sure if you’re trying to say that if you build it right and tune it right for our fuel then you can make the power. Because that’s obviously right. I’m just trying to compare apples with apples and the fuel obviously does indeed cause issues when comparing like for like. That’s coming from much smarter people than me in the tuning world for those specific engines.

I mentioned across every engine because the examples I was taking about ranged across 30+ years of different engines / tech.

There have been others on here that have mentioned having issues with their mapping and our fuel, outside of Ford circles. To just ignore all of that and say the fuel isn’t an issue is either crossed wires or I’m not sure what.

But you're comparing apples to oranges...because we dont get their fuel here. So why would you try and tune a car as if you did and expect the same outcome ?

And Mark, I do like simple...building something wrong and hoping for a better outcome is far from simple.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
I've never read into it or researched it so this is a completely naive thing to suggest, but since we have access to aviation fuel, surely some sort of dilution ratio would be an alternative, like a 2 stroke hedge cutter or strimmer? adding 1 part aviation fuel to 10 parts super? something like that to get a higher ron number? I know it would be a technical exercise to work it out correctly, but maybe it would be worth mixing batches for those higher performance machines out there.
I have a close friend who would use it in his karts for racing.

If you want octane booster, there are dozens of products on the market to do that without resorting to DIY concoctions...again, keep it simple. But is it even needed in the first place ? In most cases not.

-Pete-

RMS Regular
Aviation fuel, jet a1/avtur is actually closer to diesel. You can run a diesel on aviation fuel with a small bit of hydraulic oil mixed in as avtur doesn’t have the lubrication like diesel does.
well there you go, learn something new everyday. I actually thought aviation fuel was meant to be around 105 ron? I have zero experience so I wont even pretend to know about the subject.
Surely there's some way of extorting higher ron fuel here than just 97 pump ron.

I'm taking my chances with sainsbury and BP for super as thats what's closest and they have a high turnover of fuel so at least it isn't stagnant.

At the risk of flaming, I do put BP ultimate diesel in my diesel car....proven or not.

Boabybooster

RMS Regular
Drives
Skip
well there you go, learn something new everyday. I actually thought aviation fuel was meant to be around 105 ron? I have zero experience so I wont even pretend to know about the subject.
Surely there's some way of extorting higher ron fuel here than just 97 pump ron.

I'm taking my chances with sainsbury and BP for super as thats what's closest and they have a high turnover of fuel so at least it isn't stagnant.

At the risk of flaming, I do put BP ultimate diesel in my diesel car....proven or not.
Octane booster is your only hope. There simply isn’t the demand for 99 Ron here unfortunately.

Terry

RMS Regular
Drives
Carefully
But you're comparing apples to oranges...because we dont get their fuel here. So why would you try and tune a car as if you did and expect the same outcome ?

Stevie the thread was discussing the quality of our fuel and people were talking about and comparing our fuel to that of the mainland. I indeed said we had to live with it, and map things on our fuel.

You were talking about the fault being in the tuning and building. I pointed out if you build and tune two cars the same way, you’ll see different results and it’s come down to the fuel. It’s a simple discussion comparing it. That’s all it is.

I don’t expect the same outcome, I understand why there isn’t the same outcome, because of the fuel, and therein lay the point of the thread and my original post and we’ve come full circle. We do have to tune and build things differently and spec it for our fuel, I agree with that.

But you’d argue with your own shadow sometimes.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford

Depends which aviation fuel.

Jet fuel and that for a piston engine aircraft will be very different. Neither ideal for a road engine

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Stevie the thread was discussing the quality of our fuel and people were talking about and comparing our fuel to that of the mainland. I indeed said we had to live with it, and map things on our fuel.

You were talking about the fault being in the tuning and building. I pointed out if you build and tune two cars the same way, you’ll see different results and it’s come down to the fuel. It’s a simple discussion comparing it. That’s all it is.

I don’t expect the same outcome, I understand why there isn’t the same outcome, because of the fuel, and therein lay the point of the thread and my original post and we’ve come full circle. We do have to tune and build things differently and spec it for our fuel, I agree with that.

But you’d argue with your own shadow sometimes.

No, the bottom line is the fuel we get here is in no way a limitation to any half decent modern 2.0 16v engine for making 4, 5, 600hp.

The quality of the fuel here is quite fine and is what we've always had. And regardless of what some claims are made on the mainland about power or performance for a particular build on any fuel. Usually they're slower than anything I've taken over of comparable nature, and I've been going there to race with various cars for over 20 years. So I always find it hard to believe their claims. Their fuel may be better, they might even have fancy dyno printouts....it doesnt always show in the real world.

chris_b

RMS Regular
Drives
A car
@quattro Rick I see the garage in Enniskillen has been added, that place hasn't had Super in months now and I asked recently in there about it and the girl said they'd no plans to fix it either so just watch that one.

Mark King

RMS Regular
Drives
Cars
Last fill of good stuff before I’m back to our sh1te:joy:
9A3C4C5D-991F-42DD-B7B8-F87C1AFD5E6D.jpeg

Jonny

RMS Regular
So I stopped at a circle k on the way up from cork on Friday and they had unleaded and unleaded plus. No Ron details on either pump.

Anyone know about it?

kharma45

RMS Regular
Drives
981 S / 530d
@quattro Rick I see the garage in Enniskillen has been added, that place hasn't had Super in months now and I asked recently in there about it and the girl said they'd no plans to fix it either so just watch that one.

they have super now fwiw. Well, they had a pump for it when I went past there now

the Go garage on strand road in derry also does it if you’re in the NW. not many places have it but they do.

zafturbo

RMS Regular
In my last 4-5 cars which have all been mapped and a couple with much more than that done ,I have never felt any difference in unleaded or super .i know you will all say there is a massive difference but I just can’t feel it .my car goes up the road and back down it ,it doesn’t miss or faff about in any way so what’s the benefit for me apart from being £3-4 out of pocket every fill.is super better for injectors ect or cleaner burning ??

Lee

RMS Regular
I used to find super unleaded gave me a bit more mpg. Especially in the Honda VTECs.

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
Need to get super in Coleraine. Been a while since I’ve been up here so where to get it?

I know there’s a BP in portrush which isn’t an issue but hadn’t planned to go that direction.

thanks.

quattro Rick

RMS Regular
OP
quattro Rick
Drives
quattro / M796
Need to get super in Coleraine. Been a while since I’ve been up here so where to get it?

I know there’s a BP in portrush which isn’t an issue but hadn’t planned to go that direction.

thanks.

topaz in portstewart and Ballymoney will have super 👍