Supercar Sunday at Hillsborough Oyster Festival - Sunday 6th September 2015

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

mike150

RMS Regular
Drives
Around
There needs to be a better attendance from car owners, there are too many that don't want to use them. For me I enjoy seeing other peoples reactions to my car, M4's and RS4's are great cars and you guys should use them, you will enjoy it, so will prospective passengers and it's all for a good cause.

Last year there where lots of people queuing up to pay their money and too few cars.

Police are there to be seen but not to prosecute otherwise I would have been ticketed for ###mph with a red 997 on my tail up the hill:eek:

Come on....................

KillerJim

RMS Regular
Drives
M3 / TVR
Whilst I'll probably attend... I'm curious about how my insurance would see things if there was an incident during one of these runs.. the first thing anyone on board will do is shout "claim" and tell the police they "paid for a blast up the road" - I can picture my insurance company giving me the finger right now and walking away citing about a hundred things in their small print.

Unless anyone can advice differently?

KevM

RMS Regular
Then it'd be lies. If they give you money, you need a taxi license & your insurance is void etc, but as they don't give YOU a penny, you should be fine. Paying to enter your car in a static show is actually more 'grey' as far as insurance wording goes.

If your insurance co. get arsey, ask them how they define the word 'pleasure' on your policy

Con S3

RMS Regular
Drives
RRS SVR
Whilst I'll probably attend... I'm curious about how my insurance would see things if there was an incident during one of these runs.. the first thing anyone on board will do is shout "claim" and tell the police they "paid for a blast up the road" - I can picture my insurance company giving me the finger right now and walking away citing about a hundred things in their small print.

This is a very good point and one I had not considered @KillerJim. I'm going to have to look into this.

WSM

RMS Regular
Drives
R8
You handle no funds. The charity take the funds. It's on a public road. There is no 'closed track' where insurance would be void. Ultimately it may depend on any police report and the individual you're taking. I'd say it should be the least of your worries though... Think about it - there's nothing different in that than there was me taking @Con S3 for a drive (and letting him drive) or @mcma1 or anyone else who has been out for a rip with me in my car... and similarly all your own cars.

mcmurray

RMS Regular
Drives
M3
You handle no funds. The charity take the funds. It's on a public road. There is no 'closed track' where insurance would be void. Ultimately it may depend on any police report and the individual you're taking. I'd say it should be the least of your worries though... Think about it - there's nothing different in that than there was me taking @Con S3 for a drive (and letting him drive) or @mcma1 or anyone else who has been out for a rip with me in my car... and similarly all your own cars.

It's slightly different though.

If you're doing triple figures up the A1 for a 'charity event' and you plough into some normal Sunday road user, the call to your insurance company will be an interesting one.

I sound negative but I love the event. The more of you bringing your cars, the better. :p

nobby

RMS Regular
Drives
Jap stuff
agree with @mcmurray ...

Check your own insurance documentation ... its all in there about your dos and donts i.e. not for public hire etc.
you have to sign your disclaimer and i believe passengers do so as well at the event as well so I guess this will remove the organisers from any potential claim if you have an accident

I am not knocking the event i think its a great idea and a worthy cause and there are some decent cars at it. I done a couple of years re runs but my biggest issue is the road users along the stretch of road, plus you are not sure as to what the psni are doin as i have heard cars were 'done' at it; albeit I have no firm evidence of this just heard.

The best parts of the route is the roundabouts out of the main event area and the link road to the main r'about at the foot of the h'borough carriageway ... even though its restricted @ 50mph. The h'borough dual c'way is just a gamble IMHO

You always feel obliged to push on as you have a paying customer looking at you to gun it therefore increasing risk and its an area that i would be concerned about if accident occured and where you stand. The culture here is claim unfortunately

Daryl ST2

RMS Member
Drives
Ford Fiesta ST2

taken from a reliable source "Supercar owners donate their time and petrol and the public pay to have a ride in their Ferrari, Porsche, etc. To avoid any insurance complications the public actually purchase a photograph with the Supercar and the short run with the car’s owner is coincidental."

Daryl ST2

RMS Member
Drives
Ford Fiesta ST2
Just to clear a lot of rumors up here. no car driver has ever lost their licence at this event.
the odd ticket is given out but more chance of finding a needle in a hay stack
drivers are not paid to take members of the public out therefor you are not a taxi service.
Supercar owners donate their time and petrol and the public pay to have a ride in their Ferrari, Porsche, etc. To avoid any insurance complications the public actually purchase a photograph with the Supercar and the short run with the car’s owner is coincidental.

PSNI will let you go to the max speed of the road as quick as possible. if you decide to go into triple figures personally you are stupid and very rarely will you get that chance. Supercar Sunday to not encourage racing or "top end speed runs" Drivers are warned on the day that the PSNI are made aware of the event and are making sure no one is taking the piss with breaking the speed limits.

KevM

RMS Regular
We were there last year & I'd say 70mph would have been optimistic on a run, due to traffic & the drivers having an ounce of wit. It's a passenger 'experience' you bid on, not a speed run!

It's for charity, it's policed every year. If it wasn't legit, it wouldn't run.

let's not kill the theme on 'what ifs'!! :grinning:

Bronk

RMS Regular
usually if your messing about a bit to much the police will give you a evil eye as a warning.. after that then your prob in trouble

nobby

RMS Regular
Drives
Jap stuff
Thanks to @Daryl ST2 on clarification

Let me be clear on my post:
I never stated anyone lost their licence at this event. I had heard fines had been issued. Again I cannot confirm any of this
I just referenced what your insurance documentation can say and used "public hire" as and eg. (probably a bad one so sorry for that! :worried:)As stated "confirm own documentation" with your insurer
As stated anyone trying to hit triple figures on the stretch of road used is asking for trouble let alone hitting max speed of the vehicle. And the organisers state clearly that this is a non requirement and to not do it.

Just to clear a lot of rumors up here. no car driver has ever lost their licence at this event.
the odd ticket is given out but more chance of finding a needle in a hay stack
drivers are not paid to take members of the public out therefor you are not a taxi service.
Supercar owners donate their time and petrol and the public pay to have a ride in their Ferrari, Porsche, etc. To avoid any insurance complications the public actually purchase a photograph with the Supercar and the short run with the car’s owner is coincidental.

PSNI will let you go to the max speed of the road as quick as possible. if you decide to go into triple figures personally you are stupid and very rarely will you get that chance. Supercar Sunday to not encourage racing or "top end speed runs" Drivers are warned on the day that the PSNI are made aware of the event and are making sure no one is taking the piss with breaking the speed limits.

Derekm

RMS Regular
Drives
Exige S Focus RS
Will mostly likely be down this year in the Exige S again. It's always an enjoyable day with some great cars involved. You just have to be careful as the road gets busy. And once you know where the police are sitting you don't break the limit because if you are doing silly speeds they will book you if they can clock you ;).

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
Friend of mine was asked to bring his C63 to this and declined on the grounds of insurance. The guy told him that it's all "very legitimate" and that the public are only there to buy photographs. If the owner of the car wants to take them a spin, it's at their discretion.

Seems very grey, and not worth the risk as far as he's concerned, so the Merc isn't going. Pity though, as it sounds phenomenal with the Milltek we fitted, now that it's been mapped by TorqueTronix..

BarryPort

RMS Regular
Drives
Sierra Cosworth
If anybody is involved in an RTC during this event why would they even mention it was for a charity run?!
We're all responsible for our driving & passengers on a public highway so if we crash it's our own fault full stop.

Can't wait for this year again :grinning:

Mark King

RMS Regular
Drives
Cars
If anybody is involved in an RTC during this event why would they even mention it was for a charity run?!
We're all responsible for our driving & passengers on a public highway so if we crash it's our own fault full stop.

Don't know if I'm going to get to this now:worried: due to have an operation on my hand and it's looking like early sept and won't be able to drive for a week or so:worried:

Mark King

RMS Regular
Drives
Cars

Don't know if I'm going to get to this now:worried: due to have an operation on my hand and it's looking like early sept and won't be able to drive for
I can drive , and I'm free that weekend..... :p
I can drive , and I'm free that weekend..... :p

Good stuff,make sure your cars full of fuel for the day's crack (y)

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.