Supercar Sunday- RECRUITING DRIVERS

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Daryl ST2

RMS Member
Drives
Ford Fiesta ST2
Do you or Some one you know have a super car? Or a car that stands out from the rest?
IF SO WE WANT YOU

Format: the format is simple, Owners bring along their cars with a full tank of fuel and by giving the public the chance of a lifetime to ride in a supercar, they will be swelling the coffers of Clubs for young people (2015 chosen charity).
You have the motors to make Supercar Sunday a magical afternoon for many, so please bring along and help our young people.

A lot of people have been worried about how their insurance would look at this. Your insurance is not void if you take part. It is simply the same as you taking Joe Blogs out for a drive. Members of the public are buying a photograph in exchange for being taken for a spin in a supercar. The driver takes no money.

The event is held at Spruce field Park and ride Lisburn
6th September 2015
1330- 1730

The route is on the A1 carriage way between spruce field and Hillsborough.

To give an example of cars already confirmed: m3, M4 audi rs4 audi rs6 Ferraris, Nissan GTRS, 370zs etc etc

If you are interested in taking part or know anyone who is reply to this thread or email us @ Supercarsunday@hotmail.com

Jonny_W

RMS Regular
I agree with above. Thought after last year that would be the death of it. Doesn't look good advertising for cars though.

Hope it does get a good turnout as its for charity but no doubt the police will be out in force and that's the end of it.

EP82JM

RMS Regular
What did the police do? Speed cameras or something? One show I have never been to and it's the closest to my house

Jonny_W

RMS Regular
What did the police do? Speed cameras or something? One show I have never been to and it's the closest to my house

Yep set up 2 speed traps on the run to the hillsborough roundabout so one going up and back down. Then floated about.

Jonny

RMS Regular
I went to it year before last and the principle is fantastic. Offered the opportunity to have a run in cars I'll never be in the fortunate position to own.
But the event would be as much of a success if not more if it was relocated to nutts corner or kirkiston. Or a closed road event. Those roundabouts at sprucefield are a pain in the a** to work with at the best of times with ni drivers who don't know how to drive.

Never mind it being Sunday driver central on the day of the event.
Maybe something to consider for next years event?
Not having a go at all and I hope the event is a real success and you raise a lot for charity :grinning:

Last edited:

gixermark

RMS Regular
Drives
GT3, Jedi
has it been confirmed what level of intervention the police will be doing at it ? If they are attending looking to hook people up to tickets for being x mph over the limit it seems pointless to offer your car/time ? if they adopt a common sense approach that's different.... cant believe they set up speed traps at this though, seems a bit silly

HWW

RMS Regular
Drives
Fiesta, Mini
Its a pitty you need a race licence for closed roads, (so I've been told). A couple of boys spent hundred of pounds in the auction to get out in the top range supercars.

I went up in an e46 M3 and went out in an e92 M3. lol

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
has it been confirmed what level of intervention the police will be doing at it ? If they are attending looking to hook people up to tickets for being x mph over the limit it seems pointless to offer your car/time ? if they adopt a common sense approach that's different.... cant believe they set up speed traps at this though, seems a bit silly

If they'd do the sensible thing and hire Kirkistown for an afternoon, it'd be a much better and professional event, and no doubt more appealing for those with suitable cars to attend.

Boabybooster

RMS Regular
Drives
Skip
If they'd do the sensible thing and hire Kirkistown for an afternoon, it'd be a much better and professional event, and no doubt more appealing for those with suitable cars to attend.
Maybe kirkiston could waiver the hire fee as its a charity event.

Paul RS

RMS Regular
Drives
Sierra Cosworth
There was a PSNI speed awareness thing active the same time last years event was held. That's why they were there.

Daryl ST2

RMS Member
OP
Daryl ST2
Drives
Ford Fiesta ST2
A lot of people really do not know what they are talking about regarding the speed traps... they were no traps it was a sign telling the drivers what speed they were doing. Its common sense not to break the law! Or the speed limit door that matter. No one is above the law at any point! And of course the police will be in attendance they do not ruin the event they make the event safer that's why the organizers invite the psni to the event.
Not even worth asking.

The upkeep, maintenance, marshals, insurance etc all needs paid for.

You don't think the "organisers" of this are doing it for free, do you...?
Organizers are doing this for free...

avo5021

RMS Regular
Police were probably there due to the number of complaints at one of the events a few years ago, if I remember correctly there were some drivers being very exuberant up the A1.

Mark King

RMS Regular
Drives
Cars
A lot of people really do not know what they are talking about regarding the speed traps... they were no traps it was a sign telling the drivers what speed they were doing. Its common sense not to break the law! Or the speed limit door that matter. No one is above the law at any point! And of course the police will be in attendance they do not ruin the event they make the event safer that's why the organizers invite the psni to the event.

Organizers are doing this for free...
I did it last year,and there were speed traps. The police also told us at the start that they will be handing out tickets for speeding even if slightly over the limit.

Wild Thing

RMS Regular
Nutts corner is on its doorstep. Would make for a good day out. Why would anyone risk points on their licence on public roads, 4 or 5 seconds of loud pedal and the experience is over

Daryl ST2

RMS Member
OP
Daryl ST2
Drives
Ford Fiesta ST2
We would love to take the event to bigger places (the maze for one) problems are trying to keep it local to Hillsborough, and the minute you have it on closed roads you need a track license which very few have.

Daryl ST2

RMS Member
OP
Daryl ST2
Drives
Ford Fiesta ST2
I did it last year,and there were speed traps. The police also told us at the start that they will be handing out tickets for speeding even if slightly over the limit.
I can only remember one that was set up for 10 minutes. At the end of the day everyone is warned not to speed. So I don't see what the problem is with having the PSNI present

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Nutts corner is on its doorstep. Would make for a good day out. Why would anyone risk points on their licence on public roads, 4 or 5 seconds of loud pedal and the experience is over

And it's a 50 zone....you'd hardly get any experience of what a supercar can offer within those constraints.

Is there nowhere in the Maze grounds ?

Gaz

This space available for rent
Drives
M4 Comp Pack
I can only remember one that was set up for 10 minutes. At the end of the day everyone is warned not to speed. So I don't see what the problem is with having the PSNI present

I think the problem is what you're saying (which makes perfect, safe sense - stick to speed limits) ........... and what attendees are expecting (fast runs in supercars)..................... are 2 different things.

No-one wants to pay for a nice docile ascent up to 70mph in a Lamborghini. Most of these cars can almost hit that figure in 2nd gear nowadays, so passengers can probably be forgiven for expecting more bang for their buck.

It's a great event and for a great cause, but I fully agree with Jonny - it really would be worth exploring other avenues where passengers can really enjoy the car's performance without worrying about legalities too much. It would also be immeasurably safer than having the event on a busy thoroughfare full of Sunday drivers.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.