Surrendering driving license

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

spoons

RMS Regular
Guys i have applied for car finance and got accepted but they are asking for my driving license number but back in november i had an accident and been advised by my Dr to surrender my license for 6 months. Can i get my number from dvlni and also do you need a to show your license when picking up car from dealer or can my wife show hers as she will be driving the car. Thanks

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
You do need a licence to get car finance

A driving license is only for driving.

Any proper photo ID should be fine for a finance agreement. Just because you're buying a car, doesnt mean you will be driving it.

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf

I wasn't asked for mine at any point during the buying and finance process at Hursts 2 years ago.

I was disqualified when I financed a vehicle several years ago too.

Gaz

This space available for rent
Drives
M4 Comp Pack

No you don’t. You only need proof of ID. You could be a non driving father taking out finance payments for a daughters car for example.

JayT

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi A3eeeeeee
When I sold finance in the dealerships one of the conditions of our finance system was that the purchaser of vehicle had to have a driving licence.

lackingBHP

RMS Regular
Drives
mediocrely
Got my i30 through Hursts and couldn't find the card bit and wouldn't proceed until I found it.

Guess each finance house is different.

Chris666

RMS Regular
Drives
Often
No you don’t. You only need proof of ID. You could be a non driving father taking out finance payments for a daughters car for example.
Is that not considered fronting? And is a criminal offence

*a guarantor is different*

Gaz

Drives
M4 Comp Pack
Is that not considered fronting? And is a criminal offence

*a guarantor is different*

I can’t see how it’s a criminal offence to pay for something for someone, unless you’ve misrepresented the names or person who’s liable for the credit. If for example I decide to pay the finance payments for my sons car when he turns 17 and take them out in my name, how could that be illegal? The registered owner and/or driver of the car doesn’t have to be the person who makes the payments, otherwise fleet and lease firms would be in a whole world of trouble.

Gaz

Drives
M4 Comp Pack

That’s a different thing from what we are saying though, the finance wouldn’t be taken out on another persons name. Taking out credit in someone else name is widely seen as a no-no regardless of if it’s finance, a loan, credit card etc

Chris666

RMS Regular
Drives
Often
That’s a different thing from what we are saying though, the finance wouldn’t be taken out on another persons name. Taking out credit in someone else name is widely seen as a no-no regardless of if it’s finance, a loan, credit card etc
Surely the application is based on affordabilty after monthly outgoings/income and credit profile of the applicant, not a parent. I don't get how the finance agreement can be taken out by a parent at all here.

With that thinking, my ma could go to Charles Hurst Honda and finance me a brand new bike she has no licence for, that would be re-registered to and insured by me? That's not right?? Neither of us would be the legal owner, technically she would be the registered keeper..

**Why would they even sell her the bike in the first place?

Last edited:

Gaz

Drives
M4 Comp Pack
I’m saying the applicant and the driver can be two different people. *some finance companies will insist the name on the V5 match the applicant but that’s a policy stipulation that only some state, and not a legal requirement because, as the DVA often reminds us, having your name on the V5 as registered keeper is not proof of ownership.

Chris666

RMS Regular
Drives
Often
I’m saying the applicant and the driver can be two different people. *some finance companies will insist the name on the V5 match the applicant but that’s a policy stipulation that only some state, and not a legal requirement because, as the DVA often reminds us, having your name on the V5 as registered keeper is not proof of ownership.
That sounds like example 2 from the link above?

I'm happy to be wrong, just doesn't seem right to me.

Gaz

Drives
M4 Comp Pack
That sounds like example 2 from the link above?

I'm happy to be wrong, just doesn't seem right to me.

Example 2 implies he took out the car finance and stated it was for himself before changing the v5 details. What I’m saying is that you can take out car finance and explicitly state it is not for yourself from the off, which is not illegal and allowed by many (albeit not all) finance companies. The ones that don’t allow it often do so because it is more difficult for them to repossess the vehicle if you miss payments and it is registered to someone else. The major stipulation with taking out finance legally for someone else is that you often have to have the same address.

Chris666

RMS Regular
Drives
Often

Post 13

Gaz

Drives
M4 Comp Pack
It must be something that’s down to the broker, I know people who have done this.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
If you're financing a car directly then the loan is against the car and so the person who takes the loan must also be the person owning the car. I don't know if you can own and insure a car without having a driving licence.

In the case of buying for your kids or partner or whatever, I would have thought you could set it up so you pay the bills and/or act as guarantor, but they own the car and the loan.

Or you can buy and finance a car, but let someone else drive it. Subject to insurance and all that.

If you take out a general purpose loan and use it to pay for a car then that's a cash transaction.

gary87

RMS Regular
Drives
E350
With our finance lenders a Driving License is required - if you don't have a driving license, why would you need a car? I've had instances were a customer has misplaced their license and the finance house has required that the DVLA be contacted to confirm that they are in possession of a license.

Personal loan, that's no bother - do whatever you want!

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.