Suzuki GT380

Peter

RMS Regular
OP
Peter
Engine is now fitted and wired up.

Carbs and airbox on and throttle cables and clutch cables fitted.

The exhausts have been split, cleaned, loose baffles fixed and all sealed up again just in time for the lockdown, so currently waiting on the chromers to open again.

90761449_921486954958336_7134270944461193216_n.jpg IMG_7563.JPG IMG_7564.JPG

Dave..

RMS Regular

Peter

RMS Regular
OP
Peter
It looks amazing, I had an RD400 with wire wheels, that I restored 30 years ago. I wish I still had it.

Thank You! RD400 is a nice bike, probably would have been the competition for the GT380 back in the day

Dave..

RMS Regular
Thank You! RD400 is a nice bike, probably would have been the competition for the GT380 back in the day
:grinning: I always wanted one and when I finally finished it and took it for a run was disappointed as it felt very slow.

Peter

RMS Regular
OP
Peter
Well, it has been a while since I updated this thread and at least now I can update it with some proper progress. Due to Covid and lockdown, the chromers had to close so the exhausts held up the completion of the build.
Once they were finished I had the engine builder in England take it out a test run and make sure everything was good.
Fast forward to last week and the builder gave the go ahead to get it back and so it arrived on my doorstep last Friday night.
I spent the whole weekend cleaning it up, fixing the rear tube as it had pinched, installing the tank and seat and rear brake pedal etc.
So the bike is now finished and I put 24 miles on it tonight. Running as great as a 46 year old bike will run.

IMG_9357.jpg
IMG_9358.jpg

Dave..

RMS Regular
Well, it has been a while since I updated this thread and at least now I can update it with some proper progress. Due to Covid and lockdown, the chromers had to close so the exhausts held up the completion of the build.
Once they were finished I had the engine builder in England take it out a test run and make sure everything was good.
Fast forward to last week and the builder gave the go ahead to get it back and so it arrived on my doorstep last Friday night.
I spent the whole weekend cleaning it up, fixing the rear tube as it had pinched, installing the tank and seat and rear brake pedal etc.
So the bike is now finished and I put 24 miles on it tonight. Running as great as a 46 year old bike will run.

View attachment 290616
View attachment 290615
Looks great, you did a great resto.
I rebuilt an RD400 about 20 years ago and couldn’t wait to get it out for a run. It definitely didn’t feel as fast as it felt when I was 18.
Enjoy the sound and stick a wee drop of Castrol R in for the smell.

Peter

RMS Regular
OP
Peter
Thank You! Yeh, i had no expectations of what to expect, last bike I had was a 2010 Hornet which was flawless. That was 5 years ago. But it is definitely a different experience on this and will be nice to have for a sunny day.
It is funny looking in the mirrors and seeing all the smoke!

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
Thank You! Yeh, i had no expectations of what to expect, last bike I had was a 2010 Hornet which was flawless. That was 5 years ago. But it is definitely a different experience on this and will be nice to have for a sunny day.
It is funny looking in the mirrors and seeing all the smoke!
Just seeing this now. I would have warned you about the brakes not being like those on your Hornet, but you obviously survived ok.

Peter

RMS Regular
OP
Peter
god that looks proper well done.

thank you!

Just seeing this now. I would have warned you about the brakes not being like those on your Hornet, but you obviously survived ok.

yes, they’re definitely not as good as what the hornet had! I can see why people at least fit a Braided hose! I have a braided hose for it here but wanted to go with the original look.

Peter

RMS Regular
OP
Peter
Are those the original exhausts? the bike should live in the house.

Yes, all original. They were split, loose baffles fixed, cleaned and re-chromed. It's a pity the likes of Delkevic don't make replicas for the 380, only the 750.

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
That's in fantastic shape. So rare to have original exhausts looking that good.

Peter

RMS Regular
OP
Peter
Thank you! Now if only we had some good weather to get the engine run in and iron out any teething issues.