Suzuki Swift Sport ZC31 Track Whip

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
UBUKMRHuTkeTH2ea_bELQg.jpg

A number of years ago I rented one of these and thrashed it round the Nurburgring. During induction and general 'ring training the rent4ring instructor said that all those in the room taking a Swift for the day will never look at one in the same way again. He was right.

So it's no surprise that the moment I arrived home I stuck an alert on for all local adverts in the hope that one day one will pop up. Fast forward 5 years and an old alert activates and pops an email into my inbox:

'09 Swift Sport
Full history
Full MOT
Lady Owner
66k miles

Tantalising.

The workshop is full and I'm into the MX5 to the tune of many thousands of pounds & man hours at this point but those memories of thrapping a Swift round the 'ring just kept coming flooding back. So in the end I stuck it up for sale almost half heartedly and unbelievably 45 minutes later it was sold!

So... I guess this swift thing is going to happen. One spirited test drive later and I'm handing a very small sum of money over for one of the most fun cars I've ever driven...

The chassis is sublime. It possesses the kind of agility bloated premium sports cars can only dream of. The way it deals with corners is borderline hilarious. It's low weight, just a shade over 1000kg with low rotational mass with skinny tyres and small brakes makes it really sharp at direction changes. There's no sound deadening and while it's basic and light it's well screwed together. It's raw in the same way as 80's hot hatches but it's got a CD player and a trip computer and fully working aircon... The standard seats are very supportive and the driving position is often said to be a little high but I find it perfect. A great view for track use, it adds to the sensation of speed.

I see the fun in tackling corners and bends, not all out acceleration or straight line speed. So while my XJ6 would probably empty it on a drag strip the Swift is an entirely different league when it comes to anything with a corner. It's got just about the right amount of power (~125bhp) to keep things fun and legal on road and should be able to hassle some fancy stuff round the track too. The VVT engine loves to rev and being naturally aspirated it's ready to go at any time.

It's like a keen little happy puppy. It's brilliant.

I should also be confident in reliability. The R4R instructor mentioned that they only generally require routine maintenance. One example was actually sold to a private buyer having completed almost 3000 laps of the Nurburgring. Another was rumoured to have over 300k km before retirement. Bear in mind these are as hire cars in the hands of people like me!

Fantastic car and confusingly cheap - I'm already besotted with it.

First step was to give it a deep clean. It wasn't bad but it needed it given the colour of the water that came back out!

PYPzM6HfS5yoIVBUIvdwVw.jpg

75kVgD6iSy6ylLDOpR0RJA.jpg

Sn3TmKGgQoaqXhpOd9wv2w.jpg

UBUKMRHuTkeTH2ea_bELQg.jpg

So what's the plans?

Well I figured the R4R guys know what they're at so the wheels are being switched out for a set of 15 inch wheels with meatier tyres. These are ready for a set of AD08RS to be fitted on Monday

HvWYdhU5R3aOUXXwonTHBA.jpg

I also have TEIN fully adjustable coilovers coming along with many other upgraded bits and pieces. Will be a busy few weeks - will keep you updated :grinning:

TheDaniel

RMS Regular
Drives
Silvia PS13
You are 100% correct @Rocko 😂👍🏻

Glad people see what I see in them! The most fun I've ever had in any FWD car. The wheels are pretty much what I would choose also.

Health to race!👍🏻

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
It might be the best handling car I’ve driven. When I was doing a bit of looking about prior to purchase I struggled to find a bad review about them. Everyone loves them.

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
The mrs took the boys out for the morning so instead of enjoying the weather like a normal person, it was straight to the workshop.

Out for a few last standard photos

5A5662E8-FEC7-41B6-AB3C-4DF3E1E95C2B.jpeg

5D8B5EF9-6360-4AF2-ACD8-936AAD8486C9.jpeg

Then into the healing booth for the job at hand.

B8011E6C-9C3C-47F2-9F93-5B4762462220.jpeg

Old rear shocks and springs out and coil overs in

D1516DAD-B1A7-41EC-8A2F-392C306A8135.jpeg

D8DBC7B2-28CE-4FDB-8BC6-B00271D9B579.jpeg

And the important bits too

A1384DC8-C91D-4DD7-8497-0CB592E55D7A.jpeg

Didn’t get the fronts in yet. That’ll happen shortly along with some servicing, belts, drop links and brakes

C97BA260-8D0B-4683-8352-30BCCAC7DAA7.jpeg

Not entirely excited about doing the brake lines. They look a little crusty so I could end up having a weekends craic with the brake pipe flaring tool. Hopefully not though.

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
Been a while since I've had a go at a Jap car that hasn't had some sort of continual tinkering. Lots of properly rusted fixings which has been a total PITA
9C394F75-AB75-462C-9BAB-0EA3FEF5D998.jpeg

Got the tyres fitted this morning. Went for 195/50/15 Yokohama AD08RS. Overall much lighter than the OEM wheels which should be noticeable on track.

218D41FE-8135-46BA-8A30-4A66D09CFC0F.jpeg

Old struts out and new in.

59F29C44-189C-4F14-957C-45FD4CC3A4A4.jpeg

Fitted HD adjustable drop links to the front along with camber bolts to the strut. I'll need to dial in a bit more camber once it's lowered.

9A4A9A4C-7C41-4201-B1DF-5A9D31678559.jpeg

And test fitted a wheel to make sure it's going to work, which it does.

B734A0EB-4DC0-4296-8252-1486C184916C.jpeg

Have a bunch more handling upgrades on the way so it should hopefully be pretty close to the rent4ring cars less cage & exhaust (for now) and plus interior which I'd like to keep just in case I need it.

Also managed to get every brake union loosened ahead of braided hoses going on and got the track rod ends broke free. Have a set of hardrace lower control arms and some HD track rod ends coming as well as an adjustable rear ARB. Figured it makes sense to renew everything now and get the geo set instead of setting it and then changing something down the line.

More updates to come.

cauld1

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E34
Love it, small, light, revvy fwd cars are the way forward for fun when you forget about pub figures for bhp!

Never tried a swift sport but kind of regret selling my ignis sport recently, even if it did sit for a few years doing nothing. Do the swifts suffer from the same type of utterly unobtainable new and awful to rebuild rear calipers too?

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
Love it, small, light, revvy fwd cars are the way forward for fun when you forget about pub figures for bhp!

Never tried a swift sport but kind of regret selling my ignis sport recently, even if it did sit for a few years doing nothing. Do the swifts suffer from the same type of utterly unobtainable new and awful to rebuild rear calipers too?

Looks like I can get them online. The rear brakes in general are absolutely crap apparently lol

Cooper

Site Manager
Drives
C63 / Emira
We had a fantastic time in these at the ring so I’m not surprised you went down this route at all! Subbed!

cauld1

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E34
Looks like I can get them online. The rear brakes in general are absolutely crap apparently lol
I think it must be something with the fun Japanese cars that makes them put **** rear calipers on, MX5 is the same!

For the Ignis some guys made rx8 rear calipers work as they lined up, and had a bigger piston.

Neil_M

RMS Regular
What a cracking start to a project.

I don't know much about them, but it should be an ideal track weapon.

What's next :laughing:?

DJMCA

RMS Regular
Subscribed. The wife always fancied one of these but i've never even sat in one tbh.

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
Lot of the bushes were looking a little crusty. Not horrific but not great either...

Some very shiny HardRace front control arms arrived with upgraded bushes.

FDB785AF-4951-490F-82F6-0E41E66DBC9E.jpeg

Old control arms out.

B6DD7E8B-F741-4A21-9420-34838B0877B6.jpeg

BB62FFA3-3424-4BB9-8BF3-E74843E3F284.jpeg

Also stuck new track rod ends in. All that's left to do up front now is brakes. HardRace control arms come from the Netherlands in like 3 days. Parts from Mtec which is in Campsie are still AWOL after 2 weeks!

C275E549-36ED-4266-BAC5-CA5C3EE7BF6E.jpeg

Also added a Simota intake. Sounds class

4DCAC511-D3C4-4F86-913A-A5B8C0464436.jpeg

2ABBE298-41A6-4902-83FB-1E48EA394CA0.jpeg

Whiteline rear ARB kit arrived today so that's on the agenda for next week as well as a service. Hopefully the brakes will be here soon too and we're nearly done. Last job really is to install rear camber plates but they're coming from Japan so the might not go in for a while yet. Then it's time to get a few decals on :grinning:

Overall hopefully the handling will be much better balanced than stock and should liven the rear end up (hopefully not too much)

More updates to come.

Paddy_R

RMS Regular
View attachment 324002

A number of years ago I rented one of these and thrashed it round the Nurburgring. During induction and general 'ring training the rent4ring instructor said that all those in the room taking a Swift for the day will never look at one in the same way again. He was right.

Found the pics @Coog......

IMAG0730.jpg

IMAG0729.jpg

That was a great trip that.
@Arfur rented on too as his Focus ST170 broke and he absolutely loved it too.

DJMCA

RMS Regular
I dont like MTECs stuff, the first time i received discs they were damaged. Customer service was good and got it replaced quickly but the first time they were really put to the test they warped badly

In their defence i do hear a lot of good reports so maybe i was just unlucky

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
Discs on the car are new so was only going to do pads, hoses and fluid. Bit of a faff now - if I hear nothing back today I'm going to cancel.
Found the pics @Coog......

View attachment 324882

View attachment 324883

That was a great trip that.
@Arfur rented on too as his Focus ST170 broke and he absolutely loved it too.

Haha class GG in all her pink glory lol

Really can't wait to be smashing my own Swift round the ring!

Blackie

RMS Regular
Drives
Who knows?
Lot of the bushes were looking a little crusty. Not horrific but not great either...

Some very shiny HardRace front control arms arrived with upgraded bushes.

View attachment 324876

Old control arms out.

View attachment 324872

View attachment 324874

Also stuck new track rod ends in. All that's left to do up front now is brakes. HardRace control arms come from the Netherlands in like 3 days. Parts from Mtec which is in Campsie are still AWOL after 2 weeks!

View attachment 324878

Also added a Simota intake. Sounds class

View attachment 324881

View attachment 324880

Whiteline rear ARB kit arrived today so that's on the agenda for next week as well as a service. Hopefully the brakes will be here soon too and we're nearly done. Last job really is to install rear camber plates but they're coming from Japan so the might not go in for a while yet. Then it's time to get a few decals on :grinning:

Overall hopefully the handling will be much better balanced than stock and should liven the rear end up (hopefully not too much)

More updates to come.
Damn you’re making quick progress with this!

Coog

Admin
OP
Coog
Drives
GTI
Damn you’re making quick progress with this!

EVERY job has fought me tooth and nail. Just glad the control arm bolts didn't snap in the subframe, that would really have finished me off.

Want to go out to play ASAP. Reluctant to book any track days until it's done in case it scuds it. Would like to get to Kirkistown in July but there's a VW show on the day before and as you know yourself you can't just disappear for a full weekend at a time. First world problems!