Swapping cherished plates

dshiels

RMS Regular
I have a bit of a query which I hope someone can help with.

I have two cars registered to me with a cherished plate on each vehicle.

I have just traded in one of the cars to a dealer so I will be doing a cherished transfer to the new vehicle by putting the plate on retainer.

Ideally I would like the cherished plate which is on my other car to be on my new car as it is a better plate so because I am going to be putting the plate on retainer anyway while I wait for the V5 of the new car, I thought it would be a good opportunity to make the change.

When I put the first plate on retainer of the car I am trading in ("Plate 1"), can I then also at the same time put the plate of the 2nd car a ("Plate 2") also on retainer and transfer Plate 1 straight on to this car or does it have to go back to its original reg first? Plate 2 would then remain on retainer until I get the new car. I'm hoping that this would cut down on a bit of messing about and also not have to pay the transfer fee more than once for each plate.

In terms of transferring Plate 2 onto the new car, when can I actually do this? Do I have to have the new V5 with me as the registered keeper?

Wild Thing

RMS Regular
Put both plates on retention. Then when the tax books are back with new plates in your name transfer them to what vehicle you want them on

dshiels

RMS Regular
OP
dshiels
Thanks, the V5 for second car is already in my name so I was hoping to avoid putting having to put it back on its previous standard plate and then moving my cherished reg on to it. Primarily to avoid having to get plates made up again and also because my insurer charges an admin fee every time I make an amendment, even changing the reg, so if I could put Plate 2 on retainer and put Plate 1 straight onto this car, then it would be much easier