Taking care of corrosion on exhaust

pablo

RMS Moderator
As you can see in the pic the stainless exhaust is showing some signs of corrosion at the welds. Id like to take care of this before refitting but guessing traditional rust convertors/ACF-50 etc are not going to work on a high temp component.

My current thinking is to clean it back and put some coats of VHT on the seams - does this seem like a sensible approach? Any other ideas?

ta

2022-01-12 17.55.13.jpg

2022-01-12 17.55.16.jpg

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
If the welds are rusting, whatever filler they used probably was not stainless.

Generally some sort of abrasive cleaning is best bet. Although I'm sure I seen somewhere about some sort of household detergent or cleaner that brings up stainless well ( not what it was actually designed for though ).
Can't recall what it was

Cookies

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW
If the welds are rusting, whatever filler they used probably was not stainless.

Generally some sort of abrasive cleaning is best bet. Although I'm sure I seen somewhere about some sort of household detergent or cleaner that brings up stainless well ( not what it was actually designed for though ).
Can't recall what it was
It was Harpic. A work colleague pulled into the car park on his motorbike, and I asked if he'd had the exhaust and wheels refurbed. He said one word, and laughed. "Harpic."

Its apparently the one in the black bottle.

Please take pics if you do this, as I'd love to see it in action.

Cookies

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW
Jimmy did say that he just used a paint brush to apply the Harpic, left it for a few minutes, and rinsed it off.