Talk to me about Pick Up's

gpaevo

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi B9.5
So, I reckon I'm going to have to venture into the world of the pick up for it's versatility of carrying stuff and people.

I've mulled over keeping my F31 BMW and buying a small van for the purposes of carrying stuff when required but the thought of paying 2x tax, 2x insurance, etc etc actually brings me out in hives so i've come to the conclusion that a pick up fits both rolls. The stuff i'd be carrying is generally wet and muddy so the bed of pick up suits, with a cover for security.

I'll be buying used, I like the Ford Rangers, but i'm open to suggestions really. Do Navara's still snap in half? What about Amoroks? The Ranger Wildtrak interiors looks like a nice place for longer journeys with decent tech spec.

I'm looking real world day to day experiences from those that daily them. I've had a few replies in another thread regarding the Ranger 2.0T doing mid 20's mpg which is hectic lol.

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
I have driven both the manual and auto wildtraks - auto is what i would have but they are both gutless and slow

When you watch reviews (eg CARWOW) the VW Amarok wins on nearly everything

mark19

RMS Regular
Drives
golf
Driven a ranger and amarok when they first came out
Driving wise amarok wins hands down just felt like driving a car whereas ranger was bouncy etc.

Personally id go for the v6 amarok

Mark_C

RMS Regular
Bouncy (especially off road) and not as good off road as a full bodied 4x4 but tbh they're class, get one

Bryan

RMS Regular
Pickups are designed for a utilitarian purpose so will never drive like a car. I've got myself a 2008 Ford Ranger I'm rebuilding the top half of the engine on at the minute. Can't wait to get it back on the road but I need something like this for towing.

I'm a bit of a blue oval person so it would have to be a 3.2 Ranger all day long.

The Amarok is permenant 4wd as far as I know?

Dave..

RMS Regular
This will give you an idea.
I had a 3.2 Ranger and found it bouncy, Hilux for me.

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos
I don't think you will get any of them that will do more than mid 20s mpg.

Amarok is definitely the most civilised drive. The mpg could mean it genuinely makes more sense to buy a cheap van an insure and tax it.

It's odd you get used to low 20's mpg pretty quickly. First few months of owning my range rover were a shock, now I don't even notice the fuel consumption

Antoin

RMS Regular
Drives
E60 535d
A mate has a lifted Wildcat with big wheels and it is feckin gutless.
Even accelerating gently on the motorway had the autobox dropping a gear lol

Cool looking thing right enough.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Are they really that practical though..?

Depends what is being chucked in the back ? And if it's a pickup with no rear housing....security for said items in the back.

A crew cab type van might be an option too if off roading isn't necessary.

But some pickups do look cool.

Big Pimp

RMS Trader
Drives
like im late
I've a friend own this.

Looks amazing, but you could hardly carry fuel to it considering how gutless it is!

As he says, you wouldn't mind the fuel consumption if it were fast, but its not!

1600965636910.png

TalkToFrank

RMS Regular
Drives
335i MT Touring
Ive been wondering the same thing but on the cheaper front, a Navara isnt as nice inside as an L200 but they are alot cheaper... what is the deal with the chassis on them? Is the rumour even valid any more or what is the craic?

If i was wanting to go up the money, which it seems like you do, both the facelift L200 and NP300 Navara look excellent and the prices can be all over the place on them. 2017 upwards Rangers have the nicer dash with the carplay/android auto system which ive found to be completely hassle free and easy to use. But of those 3, NP300 wins for me, looks really well without mad kits and is the most economical of them all.

Hilux seems to be the favourite workhorse of the lot but they just look dated inside for the money they hold.

Tough choices mate!

Dave..

RMS Regular
Ive been wondering the same thing but on the cheaper front, a Navara isnt as nice inside as an L200 but they are alot cheaper... what is the deal with the chassis on them? Is the rumour even valid any more or what is the craic?

If i was wanting to go up the money, which it seems like you do, both the facelift L200 and NP300 Navara look excellent and the prices can be all over the place on them. 2017 upwards Rangers have the nicer dash with the carplay/android auto system which ive found to be completely hassle free and easy to use. But of those 3, NP300 wins for me, looks really well without mad kits and is the most economical of them all.

Hilux seems to be the favourite workhorse of the lot but they just look dated inside for the money they hold.

Tough choices mate!
The hilux (2008) drives really well and has proved very reliable. Easy for a pickup on fuel. My Ranger drank fuel and bounced when empty. I hated it.

mn5587

RMS Regular
Drives
CLK 55 AMG
The older 2008-2012ish Navaras had a tendency to crack where the cab met the bed, the seemed to have sorted it on the later models. The Mercedes X class is built on the Navara chassis. I've a pathfinder with a Navara engine, easy enough on fuel and rides ok for the size of it.

Go and test as many different models as you can, they all vary and it depends what you are looking for; better on road/fuel economy or utilitarian, etc

Ian A

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
How often will you be off road enough to justify a pick up? The comments above back up the reasons why I use my old passat for hauling a trailer on log deliveries.

Pickups are generally woeful enough to drive, hard on fuel and deprecate a lot. (That said the redneck in me loves them)

Then amaroks are the best option if you do go for one.

jagged

RMS Regular
Drives
640D G.C. E36M3
Any pickup will be hard to fuel , and as already stated not fast , unless you go for the bigger engined ones which are quicker but even thirstier!
I have 06 l200 animal , which does my job ie some farm work and towing trackcar , but would have a small van in the morning if it could tow !
So if you don't need the towing capability, i would look into keeping the the f31 and buy a van .
If that won't work the amorak is the one most people who want a dual purpose vechicle are going for , ranger is good but lot of reliability issues . As already stated drive as many as possible, one mile down a bumpy road will sort them out !

gpaevo

RMS Regular
OP
gpaevo
Drives
Audi B9.5
How often will you be off road enough to justify a pick up? The comments above back up the reasons why I use my old passat for hauling a trailer on log deliveries.

Pickups are generally woeful enough to drive, hard on fuel and deprecate a lot. (That said the redneck in me loves them)

Rarely be off road other than forest paths to riverbanks. I carry technical rescue equipment and rafts etc which all get wet and stinking which is why I was thinking a pick up is the best option, as the back of a van would get soaked with wet dripping kit.

Unless I just buy a wee high miler ****box van like a citroen Nemo or similar

Gibonz

RMS Regular
Drives
W204
Merc Sprinter, far more practical than a pickup and she'll take 8 x 4 sheets of ply no bother

:laughing:

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Age or budget? I was chatting to someone with a 2019 Navara yesterday. He's had it since new (20k) and it averages 37mpg apparently!

I like the notion of a pickup and every so often find myself looking at an Amarok or Ranger, but know the novelty would soon wear off when you have to fuel it and get beaten off the line by everything else.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford

I've a real pining for one of these, absolutely no need for a pickup though

That really is hideous ! One of the worst front ends of a car about. Although the rest isnt so bad

And as a pickup is a commercial vehicle etc....also subject to reduced speed limits on most roads.

John_MK5

RMS Regular
Buy a 4motion transporter if your needing off-roadish capabilities. Otherwise buy a Renault traffic/transit custom

pickups are brutal to live with for regular use unless your towing a plant trailer all day every day.

MagicRat

RMS Regular
Drives
JapScrap
Do Navara's still snap in half?

The chassis problems were on older Navara's and Pathfinders, chassis type R51 built between 2005-2008. I had a Pathfinder of this vintage which Nissan bought back from me. Pity as I really liked it, far better than the Shogun it replaced and the CRV I bought after the Pathfinder.