Talk to me: Bike racks

Smick

RMS Regular
Drives
CLA45
With the kids getting bigger and bikes getting faster, it's nearing the time we will need to cart 4 bikes around (2 adults bikes needed to keep up with them!)

Looking at options for a 2014 Tiguan. What's the thoughts on boot mounted attachments vs towbar mounts?
Big difference in cost as I'll need to get a towbar fitted but also don't want to risk damaging the paintwork, looks like a boot mount could do that.

It does already have roof rails so could do roof bars too, but with 4 bikes would that even fit? Also at the risk of looking like a tour de France support vehicle.

Looking for some opinions from anyone that has experience of some of the options!

rupertfinch

RMS Regular
I use a three bike Thule mounted to the boot of my Sharan. It’s great, but soon enough I can see myself going to the 4 bike tow bar option. Currently one smaller bike rides in the roof box.

Primarily my concern is opening the boot lid to access something or other, with 4 kids that’s more often than not.

Scratching the paintwork would really only occur if you are an ignoramous as the design of that rack puts things far enough away from the car. It’s more of a concern that bikes rub against one another.

The tow bar designs seem to tilt forward and that to me is the winner.

Antoin

RMS Regular
Drives
E60 535d
Have the 3 bike towbar mounted one out of Halfords. Been grand for the little use its had.
Don't like the thought of the boot mounted one.

Ian A

RMS Regular
Drives
VW Golf GTI
I used a towbar mounted rack for years until recently getting roof bars.

Roof bars have their draw backs, (wind noise, MPG impact, paint damage potential if you’re not careful) but they’re sooo much handier than towbar. With 2 bikes being for kids, you should be able to get 4 bikes on the roof okay.

Boot access is a huge factor if you have kids and all their gubbins. You can get the Thule tilting tow bar racks, but for me roof racks win on convenience.

They can be picked up worth the money too if you’re open to second hand. Mine owes me £110 for everything. (Feet, bars, x2 591 Thule racks)

gary1365

RMS Regular
Drives
Great news
Tow bar or roof is the only way to go. 4 bikes is a lot to have hanging off the body work. 4 should get 4 bikes on the roof ok if you put them on facing different directions. Halfords sell 4 bike tow bar mounts cost will probably be the same for both options unless you have to factor in the cost of fittin a tow bar.

big cyril

RMS Regular
We got the 4 bike Halfords towbar rack years ago, it’s a bit rough looking now but still works fine. It’s mostly used for three adult sized bikes which is manageable but it’s tight to get four on. The other thing is the car suspension, with four people and four bikes it looks like it’s going to pull a wheelie (e90) but might not be a problem on a Tiguan.

111gsi

RMS Regular
I bought this Halfords towbar mount 4 bike carrier about 18 months ago and it's great, slightly less slick looking than the posher Thule types (number plate and lights aren't well protected so you need to be careful when handling/storing it) but it holds our 4 bikes safely and securely. Each bike is held by the frame and both wheels, plus a strap around everything at the end. I replaced the latter with a proper ratchet strap because the one that comes as standard was hard to keep tight.

I see it's gone up by £20 since I bought it (now £200). No boot access, but with a bit of planning I can work OK with dropping the rear seat back and hoking in for stuff. Generally we use it for going on a bike ride, so the bikes come off when we get there. Would be more annoying on a long holiday trip.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Halfords have a few deals on bike racks at the minute. Bought a thule 598 on friday which I think is handier for just one bike but not sure about four, especially on a SUV. I've a quick release tow bar mount for carrying more bikes which is fine but a pain if I need into the boot after it's been fitted. Fortunately the Cayenne has a split boot so it's fine on it but not great on the tiguan, especially if I've the isofix seats in. Proper faff.

The biggest draw back of the big folding thule towbar mounted racks is the hassle of fitting them every time you want to nip out and risk of damage while parked up at wherever it is you're cycling. We came back to a mates rack that had been clipped by someone else in the carpark and broken. That was a bit of a nightmare.

In saying all that, with no tow bar fitted I'd probably go for a wing type roof rack and a set of thule racks.

The 598 seems really nicely made and easy to use and you could stick a little folding stool in the boot for getting the bikes up there.

111gsi

RMS Regular
The biggest draw back of the big folding thule towbar mounted racks is the hassle of fitting them every time you want to nip out and risk of damage while parked up at wherever it is you're cycling. We came back to a mates rack that had been clipped by someone else in the carpark and broken. That was a bit of a nightmare
I'm paranoid about this, normally try to make sure the rack is overhanging a grass area or similar where possible. Leaving it in a footpath is antisocial, and very vulnerable to damage if it's adjoining another parking space.

Eddies

RMS Regular
Drives
Really well
Years ago we welded a plate surround on the tow bar. Then made it suit box section to slide into it about 8/10 inches. Made the box section uprights then an L bracket off with a kink going up. It was essentially two bars you could lift in and out as needed and could take 4 bikes with ease. Didnt cost more than a few quid and was sturdy.

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
I'm paranoid about this, normally try to make sure the rack is overhanging a grass area or similar where possible. Leaving it in a footpath is antisocial, and very vulnerable to damage if it's adjoining another parking space.

Yeah had to get someone with a van to come out recover the rack and the bikes which was a pain.

He also came back to kids jumping on it as well but it didnt break lol

swansty

RMS Regular
Drives
Disco and Saxo
I use a halfords exodus 4 bike rack. Fits on the tow bar and tilts to allow boot access. Would like a roof rack option to use with the caravan but would be a fair bit of hassle trying to get them up onto the roof of the disco.

gary1365

RMS Regular
Drives
Great news
I used a roof rack on the Fiat 500L and that was enough of a reach would need ladders for a disco 😂

ChrisR

RMS Regular
Drives
MK3 Leon 1.4tsi
I guess the answer to this depends on what you want to spend.

Tow bar is the most expensive option, roof rack will be 2nd then boot mounted is cheapest. For 4 bikes you’ll likely need a roof rack or tow bar.

I currently have a roof rack but when I change my car I’ll def be going for a tow bar. Roof rack is good but I find the 598 racks a bit awkward on some of the bikes I carry, they could do with being a bit longer on the front. I have two racks so I’ve adjusted the mount on one to give more length at the front so I have both options.

I’ve had no issues on the roof even with an E-bike which is heavy! Might be awkward reaching to the roof of a Tiguan tho!

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Towbar every time. We have a Thule triple bike rack for the towbar and it’s great. Having had roof bars previously, a) it’s a pain in the ass putting a bike up there, especially on a jeep, and b) I hate leaving the bars up all the time.

Smick

RMS Regular
OP
Smick
Drives
CLA45
Sounding like the tow bar is probably the way to go.

Roof with the height yeah that probably would be a bit of a pain, and wouldn't really want to leave rails on all the time for the amount of use that they will get.

Opening the boot after with the tilting optioned carriers looks a good job, wondering if it would tilt enough to get boot on Tiguan open though as it's a big enough door.

Least with towbar it's an option too if I need (an excuse to buy 😂) a trailer for whatever.

Had seen the Halfords ones and wondered were they any use. Seems the advanced one has the tilt function.

Shout if anyone sees any offers or second hand ones come up!

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Sounding like the tow bar is probably the way to go.

Roof with the height yeah that probably would be a bit of a pain, and wouldn't really want to leave rails on all the time for the amount of use that they will get.

Opening the boot after with the tilting optioned carriers looks a good job, wondering if it would tilt enough to get boot on Tiguan open though as it's a big enough door.

Least with towbar it's an option too if I need (an excuse to buy 😂) a trailer for whatever.

Had seen the Halfords ones and wondered were they any use. Seems the advanced one has the tilt function.

Shout if anyone sees any offers or second hand ones come up!

Pretty sure Thule make the halfords towbar racks.

Lappintyre

RMS Regular
Drives
Model Y / M3
4 bike Exodus one from Halfords here, got it on sale & a discount code at the time, really good piece of kit, heavy enough mind you but I guess that's part of it being robust.

lennyd

RMS Regular
Drives
a car
I've 3, possibly 4, thule roof mounted bike racks and a folding 3 bike carrier that goes on the tow bar. After selling the Audi avant and getting the shogun I haven't used the roof racks since we went to France in 2018 and even then it was just to carry the tag along and roof box.

I got the towbar mounted one on here for a bargain and it's handy for going on his as it doesn't take up much space when folded up where as my dad's 2 bike carrier is a bulky big bugger to store at the best of times

Pics of the shogun when we were heading to france
IMG-20180812-WA0001.jpeg
20180811_114838.jpg

Smick

RMS Regular
OP
Smick
Drives
CLA45
I've 3, possibly 4, thule roof mounted bike racks and a folding 3 bike carrier that goes on the tow bar. After selling the Audi avant and getting the shogun I haven't used the roof racks since we went to France in 2018 and even then it was just to carry the tag along and roof box.

I got the towbar mounted one on here for a bargain and it's handy for going on his as it doesn't take up much space when folded up where as my dad's 2 bike carrier is a bulky big bugger to store at the best of times

Pics of the shogun when we were heading to franceView attachment 314233View attachment 314234
Some wagon, that looks the business loaded up.

alan_c

RMS Regular
Drives
Golf
Know what you mean about the length on the 598 @ChrisR , the front wheel of my Mondraker was always dangling over the edge at the front. Found out that on the bit with the arm, you can take the bottom plate off and slacken 2 bolts and slide it forward

Edit - just re read and seen you've done that 😁

I guess the answer to this depends on what you want to spend.

Tow bar is the most expensive option, roof rack will be 2nd then boot mounted is cheapest. For 4 bikes you’ll likely need a roof rack or tow bar.

I currently have a roof rack but when I change my car I’ll def be going for a tow bar. Roof rack is good but I find the 598 racks a bit awkward on some of the bikes I carry, they could do with being a bit longer on the front. I have two racks so I’ve adjusted the mount on one to give more length at the front so I have both options.

I’ve had no issues on the roof even with an E-bike which is heavy! Might be awkward reaching to the roof of a Tiguan tho!

Last edited:

Mel_45

RMS Regular
Drives
megane
I'm thinking rear mounted just for me is best bet at present given that I could need it on any of the 2 cars depending on what's happening.

Anyone had a saris bones 3. Benefits of it really over a standard rear mounted carrier?

Will mainly be used to carry one of the x framed specialized enduros, but will then be used for family trips

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Had a saris bones a number of years ago. Was a good rack but I needed to add some clear 3m type protective film to the boot lid because it would mark the paint.