Tax and insurance for new car

Ricky

RMS Regular
Hi

Hopefully collecting my first ever car next week all being well.

Basically, I am going to be financing my car for a few years and I haven’t signed the contract yet so therefore the dealership have not told the DVLA yet that I am the new keeper of the car.

They have told me to put insurance on my car now, should I be doing this even though I’m not registered keeper yet?

Also, they said that in order to tax my car and get a new V5, they will write my details on the new keepers slip and that I need to take both the V5 and the new keepers slip to the post office where I will tax the car and the post office will send off my V5 and i will receive a new one within 2 weeks.

Is this right? I thought that the seller had to register the car to the new keeper online, fill in the new keeper slip, tear it off their V5 and give it to the new keeper for them to tax the car and then the seller had to destroy their V5, so why do I need to take it to the post office?

Also, can I not tax my car online? Or does it need to be done for the first time at a post office?

Thanks

Chris666

RMS Regular
Drives
Often
Yes, first time at post office

The seller fills in the remainder of the V5 and posts it or can be done online. New keeper only gets the new keeper slip, which will not result in receiving a V5

NickR

RMS Regular
Drives
A6/E39 530i
There is no issue sorting the insurance before you pick the car up. You can tell them the date you intend to purchase/collect the car and they can start it from then.

As for the tax, just take the new keeper slip and a printed certificate of insurance as my local post office told me "we cannot view it on your phone due to GDPR". Most insurance companies email you a copy of your documents these days so it is handy enough.

Most importantly....enjoy the experience of having your first car!

Ricky

RMS Regular
OP
R
There is no issue sorting the insurance before you pick the car up. You can tell them the date you intend to purchase/collect the car and they can start it from then.

As for the tax, just take the new keeper slip and a printed certificate of insurance as my local post office told me "we cannot view it on your phone due to GDPR". Most insurance companies email you a copy of your documents these days so it is handy enough.

Most importantly....enjoy the experience of having your first car!

So In other words I can put insurance onto it now even though It’s not been registered to me yet?

And are you sure you can only tax first time in the post office? I’ve been on the vehicle tax part of the gov uk website and it asks you do you have a V11 in your name which obviously I would select no then it brings up a list and one of the options is “do you have a new keepers slip in your name” then it asks you to put in the vehicles reg number and the reference number so I’m almost certain you can do it online

Chris666

RMS Regular
Drives
Often
Insuring vehicles before transfer is complete is perfectly normal.

Last edited:

NickR

RMS Regular
Drives
A6/E39 530i
So In other words I can put insurance onto it now even though It’s not been registered to me yet?

And are you sure you can only tax first time in the post office? I’ve been on the vehicle tax part of the gov uk website and it asks you do you have a V11 in your name which obviously I would select no then it brings up a list and one of the options is “do you have a new keepers slip in your name” then it asks you to put in the vehicles reg number and the reference number so I’m almost certain you can do it online
Yes I'm sure as I've done it for countless vehicles.

The first time tax thing online doesn't work for NI vehicles unfortunately.

KyleR

RMS Regular
Drives
MYSR

It's pathetic, but yes, the first time taxing a car in your name if's a NI registered car has to be done at the Post Office.

Ricky

RMS Regular
OP
R
It's pathetic, but yes, the first time taxing a car in your name if's a NI registered car has to be done at the Post Office.

Why is that anyway? Like if mainland registered cars can tax online as a new keeper then why can’t we here in Northern Ireland. It’s a bit stupid lol

KyleR

RMS Regular
Drives
MYSR
Why is that anyway? Like if mainland registered cars can tax online as a new keeper then why can’t we here in Northern Ireland. It’s a bit stupid lol

I'm sure there is some silly reason for it, but I have no idea what it is.

Manta

RMS Member

It might be something to do with registered keepers and owners of vehicle laws,,,. Would be a tad odd tho considering NI is part of the UK so i am just speculating here,,,,,,,, however this gobbledygook link below will explain what i mean.

Good luck and drive safe please user20.

Turks

RMS Regular
Drives
Passat/Impreza
It’s something to do with the insurance not showing up on the system apparently.