Tax car in post office without mot cert?

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Tedtiler

RMS Regular
Drives
St246 caldina
hi chaps,

Was wondering if anyone has went to tax their car in a post office without the mot certificate?
I've just bought the car and its last mot was in England, cert is lost. Gov website says its mot runs til June.
Can't tax it online as I'm the new keeper. Anyone know if they can check it online?

Raymond

Boabybooster

RMS Regular
Drives
Skip
They've not let me before, even when I showed them on my phone it was motd on the .gov site.

adam1942

RMS Regular
Drives
2015 F56
They will lookup and might not need it. The one at the shore road didn't require my cert although I had it in my hand just in case..

They 100% did not check it.

Tedtiler

RMS Regular
OP
Tedtiler
Drives
St246 caldina
Cheers, might try one of the bigger ones. Post office beside me not exactly helpful

Vw86

RMS Regular
It really is an old fashioned system. I switched the insurance over last night and went to tax it in the post office this morning. My insurance company just emailed the certificate and when I produced it on my phone the lady in the post office said she couldn't accept it. After some faffing around I got it printed and went back and she didn't even look at it.

NI_Volvo_Nut

RMS Regular
Drives
Volvo's!
I've just done a car in the post office with no MOT cert. We where also told that when the certs where withdrawn the A4 we issue isn't required for taxing purposes. However if going from the MOT to the post office it probably would be.

Reno_LV

RMS Photographer
Drives
Honda S2000
Accepted on my phone, I laughed i could have photoshopped that in minutes! Just opened the site, typed reg and showed it is mot'ed and she accepted! Down to the staff member i guess!

Paddy_R

RMS Regular
It really is an old fashioned system. I switched the insurance over last night and went to tax it in the post office this morning. My insurance company just emailed the certificate and when I produced it on my phone the lady in the post office said she couldn't accept it. After some faffing around I got it printed and went back and she didn't even look at it.

I had the same last year taxing the Scooby. Got into an argument with the idiot working in the post office over it as my printer was broken. She couldn't understand how I could just 'fabricate' an insurance cert and me actually logging into Admirals system was a much better way (though not fool proof) of ensuring it was legit. In the end I gave up and had to go back several days later after I printed it off else where. I did make a complaint to the post office about their stupid antiquated processes pointing out how stupid they are as it's really easy to check online if things are insured and MOT'd. Still waiting to hear back.

Meeky

RMS Regular
Drives
Corsa VXR
Got mine done last week and they just check the system now to make sure its MOT'd so handy enough! Thank **** I didn't have to go to the tax office this time as the Post Office is far easier.

mcmurray

RMS Regular
Drives
M3
Bumping this.

Anybody taxed a car recently as a new keeper without MOT cert in the Post Office? Can they check online like you'd expect in 2017?

Have a screenshot of the GOV website printed out showing that it's MOT'd.

Would rather not waste my lunch driving down to be told I need the certificate.

Last edited:

neil-c

RMS Regular
Depends on the member of staff in the post office- completely hit and miss. I got away with no MOT cert (she looked it up on the PC) and no printed insurance doc (showed her the iPad copy) for one car and then had to have everything printed next time round.

Chris_702

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW M2
Usually a printed copy from the GOV website is enough. Although as stated, if you get a jobsworth they will ask for the certificate and a printed copy of your insurance.

southsky sunrise

RMS Regular
Drives
Old skool
Iv taxed a good few without mot Certs and told by my local postal worker they have the ability to check the mot status but not the insurance. As stated I suppose it just depends on the worker or your attitude towards them.

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.