Tax / V5 issues

Ricky

RMS Regular
Hi,

You may have seen my last thread about taxing and insuring my new car but this is a slightly different situation now lol.

I have taxed my car at the PO. The dealership got me to fill in section 6 of the V5 and sign section 8 which I did. Section 9 was torn off.

Took the V5 to the PO and gave them section 1-8 excluding 9 and then they gave me section 10 & 11.

I also didn’t fill in the bit on the transfer of sale /keeper date in section 6 as the PO told me not to. Will this cause problems?

PO told me I need to go home and register the car to me. - does taxing it not register it automatically?

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Did you not ask the dealer any of this ?

the dealer will inform the DVLA of change of ownership, that's why you filled in those parts.

Taxing is taxing, nothing more.

KevM

RMS Regular
Just do it online. It’s a 2 min job & the car is taxed already.

Google ‘sell a car from the trade’ and put the details in for the Dealer and yourself. Easy!

Chris_702

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW M2
If you give the post office section 1-8 they will post it internally to DVA to change ownership. Nothing to worry about - give it a week or two and call them to follow it up.

Ricky

RMS Regular
OP
R
If you give the post office section 1-8 they will post it internally to DVA to change ownership. Nothing to worry about - give it a week or two and call them to follow it up.
So I don’t need to register myself as the new keeper? It’s already done?

Hopefully the fact that the box asking for the date that the registered keeper changed being left blank causes no issues

Chris_702

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW M2
So I don’t need to register myself as the new keeper? It’s already done?

Hopefully the fact that the box asking for the date that the registered keeper changed being left blank causes no issues

Yes DVLA will receive the V5 from the Post Office and use the date that you taxed the vehicle as the new keeper.

Ricky

RMS Regular
OP
R
But only partly it seems. Sounds really messy!!

Honestly it pisses me off so much as to why the DVLA can’t extend their online services over to here as well. So unfair

Ricky

RMS Regular
OP
R
Does anybody know when the DVLA website will show my car as taxed? It’s currently showing as untaxed

NickR

RMS Regular
Drives
A6/E39 530i
Does anybody know when the DVLA website will show my car as taxed? It’s currently showing as untaxed
Did you not get a receipt in the post office? That will prove that it is taxed?

Cookies

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW
Theres an odd quirk with the changing owner function on the DVLA system in NI. I went to do it recently with the Mrs' new car. I had the full v5, but went to the section headed something like 'I've just bought a new car.' It wouldn't allow me to record my details.

I rang the DVLA, and the lady advised me to go to the 'I've sold my car's section, as though I was the previous owner, and it worked. I think I needed to input the v5 reference number though.

If it's all been sent off by the dealer and the PO, it sounds like it'll be grand.

Hope you get it sorted.

Cooks