Taxing a Historic Vehicle

Mont

RMS Regular
Drives
SupraMINIMX5
Anyone tried taxing a historic vehicle in the past few weeks?

I've been at the Post Office three times over the past few weeks to get my 1971 camper taxed but keeps being rejected. I've rang DVA a few times and been told different stories each time with both them and the Post Office blaming each other for it not working.

Taxing online doesn't work either.

The issue seems to be that it's asking for an MOT certificate, even though it's on the V5 as historic and I can show the PO my V112 exemption form.

IL

RMS Regular
Drives
981 GTS
Had exactly this a few weeks ago with 3 different post offices, different stories - passing the buck between eachother (PO & Swansea)

I Ended up getting the Car MOT'd, and i was able to tax it online the next day..

Mont

RMS Regular
OP
Mont
Drives
SupraMINIMX5
Funny. That’s what I wondered if it was easier doing to get it actually taxed as nobody can say why it’s happening.

My camper is away getting work done over the border. I was hoping to be able to tax it and drive it back rather than ask someone to help me trailer it back.

Jbridges522

RMS Regular
Drives
986 & RR
Anyone tried taxing a historic vehicle in the past few weeks?

I've been at the Post Office three times over the past few weeks to get my 1971 camper taxed but keeps being rejected. I've rang DVA a few times and been told different stories each time with both them and the Post Office blaming each other for it not working.

Taxing online doesn't work either.

The issue seems to be that it's asking for an MOT certificate, even though it's on the V5 as historic and I can show the PO my V112 exemption form.
Had something similar as well, the country post offices had no idea but if you go to a bigger dedicated post office they should be able to get you sorted, cant remember what they did but they sent the tax book away and it came back taxed and mot'd, think its it has to be classified as a historic vehicle on the tax book it cant just be that age if you get me.

NI_Volvo_Nut

RMS Regular
Drives
Volvo's!
As far as I know MOT exemption for historic cars here is pre 1963. Might have changed, not sure, but that could be the issue.
Is it one of the small postoffices you are trying or one of the main stream ones?

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Pretty sure you can now self declare 40 years old for no MOT ?

I did change mine to historic a few weeks ago and a years free tax, but mine was a tax renewal and change, and mine is MOT'd.

Although first post office didn't have a clue, next one had it done in a few seconds.

IL

RMS Regular
Drives
981 GTS
As far as I know MOT exemption for historic cars here is pre 1963. Might have changed, not sure, but that could be the issue.
Is it one of the small postoffices you are trying or one of the main stream ones?

Its not 40years rolling..

I used the main postoffice on Highstreet in Belfast City Centre - no one had a notion what i was talking about or why the system was throwing up an error!

NI_Volvo_Nut

RMS Regular
Drives
Volvo's!
Possibly something needs to be done on DVA side for the MOT side of things?

If you do the DVLA reg check, what does that say?

vw1500

RMS Regular
Drives
VW
DVLA reg check will show any car over 40 whose MOT has expired as green for MOT and "No results returned"
As stated the bigger post offices should be able to take your V112 form and sort this.
The system was badly organised over here and there are no clear instructions anywhere.
I've a car that's been tax exempt since it became a thing in the late 90s and I annually had frustrating PO conversations when I went to tax it.

Mont

RMS Regular
OP
Mont
Drives
SupraMINIMX5
Thanks everyone.

New DVA Swansea guy this afternoon said to ring DVA NI as systems have all been recently changed over here and ask NI ones to remove the block on the MOT. That guy then later emailed me the number of the Manager of my local MOT centre who said I need to call Swansea again and ask them to organise a ‘DOM’(?) check and inspection as I don’t know when it was last taxed and MOT’d. Only then can the block be lifted.

What a polava.

vw1500

RMS Regular
Drives
VW
Thanks everyone.

New DVA Swansea guy this afternoon said to ring DVA NI as systems have all been recently changed over here and ask NI ones to remove the block on the MOT. That guy then later emailed me the number of the Manager of my local MOT centre who said I need to call Swansea again and ask them to organise a ‘DOM’(?) check and inspection as I don’t know when it was last taxed and MOT’d. Only then can the block be lifted.

What a polava.
Ah it hasn't been MOT'd for a long time then? That would explain it, had assumed they'd have to put some sort of measure in place so people weren't pulling a rotten dose from a hedge and driving it.

IL

RMS Regular
Drives
981 GTS
@Mont maybe this was my issue too, my car hadnt been tested since 1996

Mont

RMS Regular
OP
Mont
Drives
SupraMINIMX5
Just an update for anyone else who might have the same issue.

I posted the tax application to Swansea rather than try and get it inspected and just got a letter to confirm it’s now taxed. Took a week and a half from posting it. Simples.