Taxing a sornd vehicle after purchase

soccersmyth

RMS Regular
Drives
F32+RSV1000
A 2017 vehicle I'm interested in purchasing is currently sorned.
Keeper has full v5 in hand.
Anyone know if there would be any issues taxing this during this covid pandemic as I've heard there is.

Nothing on Gov website to say theres issues.

RevT

RMS Regular
No, get it changed into your name and then call into the post office and tax it.

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
Handier doing the whole thing online in one go, assuming seller or yourself has a computer, smartphone, etc.

RevT

RMS Regular
Handier doing the whole thing online in one go, assuming seller or yourself has a computer, smartphone, etc.

It’s not possible, new owner in NI needs to go to post office.

southsky sunrise

RMS Regular
Drives
Old skool
Yeah I tried taxing the Merc the other day and even tho mot and insurance on the database they wouldn’t let me as the new keeper just saying to go to the p/o

soccersmyth

RMS Regular
OP
soccersmyth
Drives
F32+RSV1000
Thanks everyone.
All sorted on the spot in the local PO.

Might be an antique by the time the v5 arrives though.

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
I've seen a car in England which is SORN but has MOT until July 22

How do you go about test driving it and then maybe driving it home? Does he have to tax it for the month?

PS: S3 not for sale

Jbridges522

RMS Regular
Drives
986 & RR
Can the seller tax it for a month for £20?

I'd rather not take a chance, don't know if he lives in the sticks or in an estate
If he's happy to let you then I wouldn't be worried, if on what seems a very slim chance you did get caught with no tax by a camera the fine would land at his door anyway surely.

KevM

RMS Regular
Can the seller tax it for a month for £20?

I'd rather not take a chance, don't know if he lives in the sticks or in an estate

You arent taking a chance. He is as he's the registered keeper. If you buy it, tax it on your phone and drive home!

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
You arent taking a chance. He is as he's the registered keeper. If you buy it, tax it on your phone and drive home!

He is a mechanic so assuming he has trade plates can i test the car with them on?

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
I've seen a car in England which is SORN but has MOT until July 22

How do you go about test driving it and then maybe driving it home? Does he have to tax it for the month?

PS: S3 not for sale

As soon as you buy, any tax he had is gone, any liabilities he had are gone. It's all on the buyer.

For test drive, strictly speaking it should be taxed...and of course insurance is the big one.

If he has trade plates, then the tax is a non issue for the test drive.