taxing an untaxed car, mot'ing a non mot'd car

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

pollock

hey folks, just bought me a wagon off a lad.

its got no mot or tax. and at the mo its still in his name

so I fill in the form (V9 I think it is) to change it over to my name

now how do I go about taxing it? as far as I know it hasnt been taxed in a few months and no mot for some time!

the mot's handy enough I think, just go in and book it, but will the tax office want to know where its been the last 6 months or whatever etc? will I have ot pay any extra charges etc?

pollock

OP
P
yea insurance is sorted, so I have to book an mot and wait like what 2/3 months before I can get it.

then tax it? will the tax office not think it even more suss that theres been no tax records for the last 9 months then or whatever

pollock

OP
P
mot's not the big question here anyway, its tax. like its not been declared off the road or nothing to the tax office.

how do I go about taxing it?

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
meganecoupe said:
Boydie said:
u will have to take it on a trailor to get it MOT'd as well
balls... you can drive to the MOT centre without MOT

yes but he has no tax and as said above u need mot and insurance b4 tax

Cooper

Site Manager
Drives
C63 / Emira
Wait until you have it MOTd before you do anything else. Ie dont drive it on the road or fook all. Then once you have the MOT, get it taxed and put into your name in one go. Nothing to worry about as long as you don't go driving it about, then you're asking for trouble.

Andy

pollock

OP
P
ok so book mot now, dont drive until I get it, pop up to the LVLO office change my details on the car to me then tax it.

simple as that?

Phil-Ray

RMS Regular
Drives
mk4 Fiesta
jsut say its been down south or something for that period of time or its in someones garrage or four cort and no ones taxed it.

i dont think its your problem that is hasnt got any tax befor u bought it

Cooper

Site Manager
Drives
C63 / Emira
Its the previous owners problem if they didn't declare it off road or whatever, as long as you make proper steps to make it road legal you've nothing to worry about. You won't be able to put the car into your name without either taxing it or declaring SORN so I'd go for the MOT first.

Andy

pollock

OP
P
good man cooper, its not my problem until I go to stick into my name :grinning:

r16vka

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi 80 V6
surely you should declare the sorn from the date you purchased it, then work on the mot....

m00k

RMS Regular
Drives
Vauxhalls/Holden
are they not still providing the wee excemption things for the mot ie apply and u get exemption to allow u to tax the car?

Steve

RMS Regular
Drives
Bus
Yeah if the car has not been declared off the road, u will get an mot exemption untill the test enabling u to drive the car, but if its declared SORN then u cant drive it

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.