tdci mondeo not starting after fuel filter swap

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Eager

RMS Regular
Drives
broooooom
Done a service on the daily abuser today, swapped in a new fuel filter and now the bugger wont start. It started briefly then cut out, only ran for about 3 seconds
Any ideas ?

dervsport

RMS Regular
It's airlocked. You need to pull fuel up to the filter. You can buy hand primers from motor factors. Don't crank too long without fuel as you will destroy the high pressure pump.

Graham

RMS Photographer
Drives
Press Cars
prime the pump a good few times via turning the key on and off

and then let her turn over like a massey 35 for ages and eventually it should kick, the filter housing soaks in so much fuel they can be a ballix (on most dervs so presume its the same)

my cordoba was a biatch and i thought the open bonnet was gonna shake itself off when trying to start it

dervsport

RMS Regular
There is no pump in the tank so turning the key won't do anything.

prime the pump a good few times via turning the key on and off

and then let her turn over like a massey 35 for ages and eventually it should kick, the filter housing soaks in so much fuel they can be a ballix (on most dervs so presume its the same)

my cordoba was a biatch and i thought the open bonnet was gonna shake itself off when trying to start it[/quote

Eager

RMS Regular
OP
E
Drives
broooooom
original filter is back in
Car is running

No idea whats going on with the other filter. I filled it with diesel until it was coming out of the outlet on it and the car still wasnt starting. Swaped the other old filter in and started after a 2 second crank

Eager

RMS Regular
OP
E
Drives
broooooom
not likely, had it on and off the connections 2 or 3 times.

Must admit, i only filled it with some red diesel that was lying about (however the car is kinda used to ribena).... so i maybe will try it with some fresh stuff and get a syringe and fill it really well. Or small funnel.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Is it a canister filter or element ?

Depending on brand...faulty canister types wouldnt be that unusual.

Eager

RMS Regular
OP
E
Drives
broooooom
Full canister job with nipples on top to fit the pipes to direct

garyhoker

RMS Regular
Drives
honda
some after market ones are **** had the same problem on a transit pissed me off ruined my saturday drinking time......

Marc

RMS Moderator
Some easy start will get it going and it will draw fuel into the new fuel filter no botherbother

JayT

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi A3eeeeeee
This happened to me with my 2.0 tdi focus. New filter wouldn't start old filter ran fine, the car wouldn't go until I sucked the diesel through the return side of the filter. First time I was stuck and used my gob second time I used one of the fancy hand primer things tasted way better.

Eager

RMS Regular
OP
E
Drives
broooooom
its a aftermarket one i put in last time i serviced it, primed it that time though, but it started no issue. This one i tried today was same brand, mahle

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.