Tesla Charging with 32A Commando socket

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
A proper wallbox will ( should ) have various safety features as has been covered in the charger thread.

So no, trying to plug the car into a random socket....is not a good idea.

But potentially you could plug the charger unit into the 32A to save a little new wiring.

needforspeed07

RMS Regular
OP
N
Drives
SEAT
Right so help needed! I’ve been charging my EV using a 32A commando socket for a couple of months now and have been reading a lot of comments of late regarding risk of electrocution without the necessary safety devices installed which has me slightly concerned.
My install is simply a commando socket installed outside fed of a distribution board with a 32a RCBO.
How do I go about making this setup safer?
I’ve read a lot about the need for PEN protection. What is PEN Protection and how do I go about installing it? Rough idea on cost?
Can you get an all-in-one RCD/PEN device that sorts all of this?
Do I need a seperate earth spike also?

Woodcutter

RMS Regular
Save yourself the grief and get a proper EV charger installed. Home insurance would be a worry with a home made set up surely? You're just giving them a reason to invalidate a potential claim.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Right so help needed! I’ve been charging my EV using a 32A commando socket for a couple of months now and have been reading a lot of comments of late regarding risk of electrocution without the necessary safety devices installed which has me slightly concerned.
My install is simply a commando socket installed outside fed of a distribution board with a 32a RCBO.
How do I go about making this setup safer?
I’ve read a lot about the need for PEN protection. What is PEN Protection and how do I go about installing it? Rough idea on cost?
Can you get an all-in-one RCD/PEN device that sorts all of this?
Do I need a seperate earth spike also?

Exactly what vehicle and charging method ?

As surely anything other than a hybrid, needs a proper charger unit ?

Last edited:

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Loads of people use a commando socket, usually without incident.

People have old houses too, with old rubber wiring, old fuses etc....usually without incident

Rules, safety features etc, are all for when incidents occur, they remain pretty boring incidents

EV charging etc still seems a bit of a minefield, and still evolving.

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
Exactly what vehicle and charging method ?

As surely anything other than a hybrid, needs a proper charger unit ?
No, not if you can make do with a slower charge time.
Also, as far as I know with the Tesla, you can limit the max current on the car's settings. So, set it so only drawing maybe only 10 or 20amps or whatever.