Tesla coming to Belfast.

salster

RMS Regular
Drives
mini
having to take your car back countless times for warranty work does not look good for the quality of Tesla cars.

Graham2

RMS Regular
Drives
RS4
There are some reliability and build quality issues but lets not forget the Model 3 was Tesla's first mass produced car and it was only launched in July 2017. A couple of months ago Tesla built their 1 millionth car, Toyota builds around 9 million a year. So it's simply unrealistic to expect build quality to be as good as other manufacturers.

What's much more interesting is that Tesla has topped the Consumer Reports customer satisfaction survey in the US for 3 years in a row. My Model 3 is at least 3 different shades of white and the panel alignment is definitely questionable but I couldn't care less, its a fantastic car to drive.

DC.

RMS Regular
OP
DC.
Drives
VW Golf GTI
This is for America only but highlights how far Tesla have got the improve.

7779E251-3759-42B9-A3CD-E88BC7F8DA21.jpeg

mark19

RMS Regular
Drives
golf
There are some reliability and build quality issues but lets not forget the Model 3 was Tesla's first mass produced car and it was only launched in July 2017. A couple of months ago Tesla built their 1 millionth car, Toyota builds around 9 million a year. So it's simply unrealistic to expect build quality to be as good as other manufacturers.

What's much more interesting is that Tesla has topped the Consumer Reports customer satisfaction survey in the US for 3 years in a row. My Model 3 is at least 3 different shades of white and the panel alignment is definitely questionable but I couldn't care less, its a fantastic car to drive.
You dont care that the car you bought isnt all the same colour/shade:/?
Why would you be happy with someone sub standard? Is it due to not having dealership in belfast?
Just curious not having a go or anything

Graham2

RMS Regular
Drives
RS4
You dont care that the car you bought isnt all the same colour/shade:/?
Why would you be happy with someone sub standard? Is it due to not having dealership in belfast?
Just curious not having a go or anything

Happiness is dictated by your expectations. I expected to receive a car in the condition that I did, so I am happy. I didn't buy it to enjoy the panel gaps or matching body to bumper paint colour, I bought it because it's a fantastic car to drive, very fast, comfortable, 0% company car tax etc etc.
This is for America only but highlights how far Tesla have got the improve.

View attachment 285295

This is why it is so fascinating that the vast majority of owners are still extremely satisfied with their purchase.

pablo

RMS Moderator
the more exotic something is the more tolerant people are of flaws. Look at McLarens lol. Look at the list and youll see a trend top down from mass produced brands down into the more exotic stuff like Porsche/Audi/Jag etc.

it is bad that Tesla are worse ranked than Land Rover though :worried:

pablo

RMS Moderator
Id also guess that people paying big money for cars are more picky in wanting problems remedied where on the cheaper ones people dont care as much

Gavlar

RMS Regular
If that's an American chart don't forget European marques have a certain premium attached

Graham2

RMS Regular
Drives
RS4
With a Tesla you're a lot more likely to have a software issue, for instance, I had an error come up about the SOS Emergency Call module and that I needed to book a service call. I knew to try a hard reset first, which cured the problem, but someone not as tech savvy would have had to make an appointment to have it sorted. The other great thing about Tesla is that they use mobile service techs, so they can come to your house or work. Not sure if many other manufacturers do that?

Graham2

RMS Regular
Drives
RS4
You're half right I think, from what I can make out that's more of a breakdown assistance service whereas with Tesla you can book a repair appointment and the engineer actually brings the parts to your house/work and carries out the repair there and then. It's not clear if that is included in a standard BMW warranty either, it is with Tesla. I haven't owned a new BMW so can't say for sure. It doesn't appear to be something Audi or VW offer, only roadside assistance.

Jrooney06

RMS Regular
Drives
F30 M Sport

The Model S has been voted one of the most unreliable cars on the market but what Musk has done can only be applauded even if I think he is a bit of an idiot. I can't see Tesla hanging around for long once the bigger manufacturers get involved and I think most people believe they will become a battery supplier only. The new Porsche Taycan will be the one to watch and see if it hold its list value.

EDIT: Nobody can really be compared to Toyota. They founded the Lean Manufacturing principles or the Toyota Way which has been adapted to every manufacturing facility worldwide be it BMW VW or whoever!

gpaevo

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi B9.5
The Model S has been voted one of the most unreliable cars on the market but what Musk has done can only be applauded even if I think he is a bit of an idiot. I can't see Tesla hanging around for long once the bigger manufacturers get involved and I think most people believe they will become a battery supplier only. The new Porsche Taycan will be the one to watch and see if it hold its list value.

EDIT: Nobody can really be compared to Toyota. They founded the Lean Manufacturing principles or the Toyota Way which has been adapted to every manufacturing facility worldwide be it BMW VW or whoever!
My brother in law works with Toyota on their EV tech. They are going to dominate soon enough from what he says. He's not a car guy either, just a head hunted freelance IT geek lol.

Jrooney06

RMS Regular
Drives
F30 M Sport
My brother in law works with Toyota on their EV tech. They are going to dominate soon enough from what he says. He's not a car guy either, just a head hunted freelance IT geek lol.

If I had my time again I would be doing research into the recycling of batteries seeing as less than 5% are recycled id say its set to become pretty lucrative!

Graham2

RMS Regular
Drives
RS4

Toyota don't produce a car that is particularly reliable though, going by JD Power surveys. The Model S was the very first car they produced (bar the tiny volume of Roadsters) so it's to be expected that it would be unreliable. Tesla are definitely in to batteries in a big way but these are joint ventures/supplier agreements with Panasonic, CATL etc. They are very much still a car manufacturer and with at least 3 new models in the pipeline including the Semi truck which is now set for volume production later this year I don't think they are planning on retiring from manufacturing any time soon. They are also rumoured to be scouting for an R&D HQ in England.

Toyota can have all the tech they want because the problem that all other car manufacturers face at this moment in time is they have no charging network. Tesla is years ahead in this regard, they have 16,000+ superchargers already operating with that number increasing daily. That's some catching up to do. If I had to use the public charging network I wouldn't own an electric car, absolutely no chance. It's horrendously unreliable.

The other major problem that other manufacturers have, which manifested itself in the VW ID3, is that they are traditionally set-up to source components from many, many different suppliers and knit them all together. This has proved to be a massive issue when combining the systems required for an EV, and VW has literally thousands and thousands of brand new ID3's sitting in car parks because they cant get their software to work. Tesla does not have this problem because they either manufacture the parts themselves or they write the software for them in-house, so they can get it all to work much, much faster and more reliably.

gpaevo

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi B9.5
How many superchargers are in NI? How many on the mainland?

My buddy got a Tesla charger fitted at the house for his.

Graham2

RMS Regular
Drives
RS4
There are 500 in GB, none in NI. There has been one earmarked for Lisburn for a couple of years, hopefully the arrival of an actual sales/service centre will mean this will now go ahead. I believe it has been held up because NI had some obscure law that capped the max resale price of electricity, this was sorted on April 1st this year.

mk2driver

RMS Regular
Drives
Impreza Type RA
Itā€™s an interesting dynamic - I think the JDP results are showing customers are becoming less accepting of Teslaā€™s flaws

There is no doubt that they have done impressive elements to their business but unless they improve overall vehicle quality they will start to suffer as more and more alternatives come to market

JT079

RMS Regular
A very impressive leader and leadership style Plus the structured organisation that with the radical innovations designed in its core. How can anyone look down Tesla and other Elon muskā€™s adventures? Sending human to ISS, retrievable rockets, solar roof and power bank, full electric cars and truck. These are extreme tasks and big ambitious projects, not saying running them almost all in the same time, it would be difficult to even achieve just one project...

The future will be better with projects like these.

Graham2

RMS Regular
Drives
RS4
There is no doubt that they have done impressive elements to their business but unless they improve overall vehicle quality they will start to suffer as more and more alternatives come to market

Are there any alternatives actually on the market yet? e-tron, Merc EQC and iPace are much more expensive, KONA, e-Niro, e-Golf cheaper and smaller/less premium. The BMW i4 is a direct rival but not due out for another year.