Tesla door handles ?

Paddy_R

RMS Regular
Windows are still made of glass as far as I know so I'd have been putting that in to get the guy out.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
OP
stevieturbo
Drives
Old Ford
It’s done mainly for aerodynamic efficiency benefits and makes a significant difference

But surely you can have a flush or almost handle....that still operates mechanically ?

And breaking car windows isnt always as easy as it seems. It can be easy with correct tooling, and a brick it seems isnt correct.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
OP
stevieturbo
Drives
Old Ford
Good program years ago about that. Because they wanted to use a proper car windscreen, they had a pneumatic ram attached to a arm/fist to enable them to punch through the windscreen.

For car side windows though, ideally you want something sharp, or the likes of a screwdriver in the edge of the frame and lever or punch with it. Needs something sharp and/or near an edge to break them easier.

quattro Rick

RMS Regular
Drives
quattro / M796
Safety feature of headrests is that if you remove them you can use the posts to smash through the glass from inside

However with new sports type seats there's no option for that

Where a weighted glass hammer does the job, also has a seatbelt cutting area

colin84

RMS Regular
No problem for this guy.

I know there is a bit of a myth that headrests are removable and slightly pointed for using in an emergency to break glass.

roverspeed

RMS Regular
Drives
Insignia
It’s done mainly for aerodynamic efficiency benefits and makes a significant difference
There have been many cars with flush/aerodynamic door handles that are purely mechanical.

The electronic ones are just another sales feature that no one needs.

roverspeed

RMS Regular
Drives
Insignia
Spark plug cermanic shards shatter toughened glass instantly.

An older gentleman had a stroke whilst driving his jaguar xf in Downpatrick, happened at the traffic lights. He ended up sitting with the nose on a bollard with the throttLe floored.

Myself and a few others ran to help, a fella was wacking the glass with a fire extinguisher without a crack.

I used my glass breaker that I have in the car, just a fairly heavy tap to the corner and boom.

Should be a requirement to have in cars if you ask me.

Pumesta

RMS Regular
Drives
Focus_ST_3
But surely you can have a flush or almost handle....that still operates mechanically ?

And breaking car windows isnt always as easy as it seems. It can be easy with correct tooling, and a brick it seems isnt correct.

The years have not been good to poor KITT lol

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
OP
stevieturbo
Drives
Old Ford
No problem for this guy.

I know there is a bit of a myth that headrests are removable and slightly pointed for using in an emergency to break glass.

****...ever try to remove some headrests ? lol

Hard to tell in the video, but the rear window was down and they were winding it up. If the window wasnt fully seated and supported when he whacked it, it would definitely break easier.
Either way, he's got a hall of a hammer fist.

Automatic centre punch is a tool that will break them and require almost no effort from the user. But absolutely the seat belt cutter and hammer type tool should be standard fit in all cars.

61_Vert

RMS Regular
Drives
Octy 5e vRS tDI
Easy for a cyborg with a combat chassis made of hyperalloy

the first film was so low budget ($6.5Mil) they didnt even have a license to film in LA so they just drove around looking for filming location randomly, and allegedly that particular car didn't belong to the set and was actually some strangers car parked by the road.