Tesla Model 3 Performance

davyk31

RMS Regular
hall of fame game missed the point GIF

Anyway.... Sorry once again Pete. We're all off on a tangent

Don’t think the point was that hard to see??!!!
You said buying a Tesla for low running costs was like spending £100 to get a tenner. My response was that an equal ICE car would be similar purchase cost but cost a lot more to run hence making the EV a wise choice. Seems pretty logical to me.
It has to cost something Pete, unless your electricity is free. I appreciate probably nothing in comparison to fuel, but there is a cost associated with charging it. No?

Public chargers are free so assuming that is all Pete has used then yes it could be totally free electricity.

cauld1

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E34
Must say from the outset, I'm pretty on the fence with electric cars. The whole outright speed thing never really appealed to me with ice cars either.

However, fair play @big_pete its an interesting car and nice to see one being modified. Kit looks good and new wheels and lowered will make a big difference.

As for the whinging about electric car benefits or not and 'feel' of totally different types of modern cars (lol) surely theres a thread existing or to be made for the lads to gurn as much as they want rather than using a members car thread to do that?

KevM

RMS Regular
My response was that an equal ICE car would be similar purchase cost but cost a lot more to run hence making the EV a wise choice. Seems pretty logical to me.

How would 'an equal' ICE car have anything close to low running costs? You've missed the point entirely.

If you was low running costs, you can buy an Aygo at £5995. You dont need to spend £59,995

If you want a high-performance EV, of course spend your money, but, you certainly aren't doing it with any consideration for the cost of your travel. I have bought cheaper houses...

Marc

RMS Moderator
It has to cost something Pete, unless your electricity is free. I appreciate probably nothing in comparison to fuel, but there is a cost associated with charging it. No?

Free public charging 😂😂

I was spending £220-£260 a month fuelling my F80 M3 and leased an e-golf for in and around the same monthly cost and have had free electric the last 20 months.

Tesla can be had for about £400 a month for the standard range single motor.

chrisdromore

RMS Regular
Drives
a8
Rms is full of true petrol heads so all these comments are to be expected. But he’s got an m4 to get a root with so win win really lol

cauld1

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E34
Rms is full of true petrol heads so all these comments are to be expected. But he’s got an m4 to get a root with so win win really lol
Is it!? Thats in response to full of petrol heads and comments to be expected tbh 😂

big_pete

RMS Regular
OP
big_pete
Drives
Soulless pos
@Chris100 free public charging and once I have my charger installed at work it will get charged there every day. Every penny of my electricity at work is a tax deductible. So yep literally costing me nothing.

@KevM running costs were a huge part in why I bought the car. I needed a new car and buying one through the business made sense. I was looking at new defenders as an alternative. The payments were pretty similar and then I would have been fuelling it, servicing it and taxing it.

With the miles I do, I would have been putting £100+ a week through a defender in fuel. That’s quite a dent in the pocket.

Having a frugal car wasn’t the driving force, a comfortable, relaxing, reliable with warranty was the brief. The lack of any running costs is impossible to look past.

People are forgetting that an EV is a car like any other in terms of they have scenarios that they excel at and things they don’t.

The tesla excels at many things, lack of engagement is a trade off I am happy to take as for the reasons I bought one it is absolutely incredible at.

I’m lucky to be in the position to have toys to fulfill my petrol head needs.

To think of it another way, take your Boxster @Chris100 it’s an absolutely awesome car, the perfect sports car. It fits your life well because you don’t really commute or need space.

I would rather jump off a bridge than drive a Boxster as my daily car though, small, uncomfortable (I’m 6ft4) thirsty, wholly impractical, huge maintenance costs and the fact that doing that mileage in it would absolutely rank its value. And yet, I still think a Boxster is one the finest cars money can buy. Well maybe one with a 6 cylinder anyway and not an aul subaru engine 😛 I jest lol

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
“EVs are characterless. The note is the charm”

…hops into turbo charged small capacity modern ICE with synthesised engine noises piped into the cabin / something with a pop & bang map from the factory / a turbo diesel.

KevM

RMS Regular

…hops into turbo charged small capacity modern ICE with synthesised engine noises piped into the cabin / something with a pop & bang map from the factory / a turbo diesel.

Yeah, I'm stepping into a Turbo Diesel to commute shortly lol

BUT, I did go for a completely 100% pointless hour-long drive in a 6 cylinder Porsche in the past 12 hours, after my 5 year old insisted on taking him out in it. He knows the score....

Big Pete knows the Score too though :cool:

roverspeed

RMS Regular
Drives
Insignia

Nasp here with the only driver assist being abs. Most Modern cars bore me to death equally.

Chris100

RMS Regular
Drives
718 T
@Chris100 free public charging and once I have my charger installed at work it will get charged there every day. Every penny of my electricity at work is a tax deductible. So yep literally costing me nothing.

@KevM running costs were a huge part in why I bought the car. I needed a new car and buying one through the business made sense. I was looking at new defenders as an alternative. The payments were pretty similar and then I would have been fuelling it, servicing it and taxing it.

With the miles I do, I would have been putting £100+ a week through a defender in fuel. That’s quite a dent in the pocket.

Having a frugal car wasn’t the driving force, a comfortable, relaxing, reliable with warranty was the brief. The lack of any running costs is impossible to look past.

People are forgetting that an EV is a car like any other in terms of they have scenarios that they excel at and things they don’t.

The tesla excels at many things, lack of engagement is a trade off I am happy to take as for the reasons I bought one it is absolutely incredible at.

I’m lucky to be in the position to have toys to fulfill my petrol head needs.

To think of it another way, take your Boxster @Chris100 it’s an absolutely awesome car, the perfect sports car. It fits your life well because you don’t really commute or need space.

I would rather jump off a bridge than drive a Boxster as my daily car though, small, uncomfortable (I’m 6ft4) thirsty, wholly impractical, huge maintenance costs and the fact that doing that mileage in it would absolutely rank its value. And yet, I still think a Boxster is one the finest cars money can buy. Well maybe one with a 6 cylinder anyway and not an aul subaru engine 😛 I jest lol

Probably your height making it uncomfortable @big_pete

I drove mine to Kerry non stop, and then covered a 1000 miles in it over 4 days. I find it just as comfortable as my previous Golf GTI TCR. But at 5ft 8in I don’t have to worry about fitting into it.

In terms of maintenance costs, again no more expensive than an S3 or Golf GTI as the Porsche had 20k or 2 year service intervals.

But I can absolutely see where an EV makes sense as a company car, or for regular commuting

Graham2

RMS Regular
Drives
RS4
I was looking at one in the showroom in LA a couple of years ago, the sales womans pitch on the interior was “it’s just like being in the Space Shuttle”, I had to say I’ve been in the Space Shuttle and I can assure you that they couldn’t be more different

She was probably talking about the Space X Dragon capsule, its all touchscreen.

No debating they are quick off the line, but that’s it. Difficult to compare it with something, but they just don’t give you the feel and thrill that a fast ICE powered car does. I think I can be describe them as “clinical“

Definitely not, the sound of a car is a huge part of its experience. But I got mine to commute to work in, the acceleration is just a bonus for a occasional clear red light.

KIbby96

RMS Regular
Drives
Leon Cupra
@big_pete love the car, totally understand the purchase and applaud the chaos you have caused.

My ONLY concern with Teslas is "what happens if its in an accident" - can it be repaired here like "any other car". Heard stories of insurance companies writing them off with minor damages due to the cost of replacement parts. (oh and the fact i cant afford one)

KevM

RMS Regular
I cant wait to see it dropped onto the Vossens 👌

The black looks so much better inside under the lights than it does out in the damp Autumn weather!

acsmyth

RMS Regular
Drives
Supra
That escalated quickly, great to see someone modding one of these! Looks brilliant mate!

Can’t wait till our daily drivers eventually die so we can move to EV!

NickR

RMS Regular
Drives
A6/E39 530i
I really like that kit. Can't wait to see the wheels on it.

Carson

RMS Regular
Drives
R53 JCW/A4 B8.5
That looks so much better already. Lowered on those wheels will be awesome. Can’t wait to see it.

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
I am not one for modifying plate sizes but I do think a shortened plate at the front would look a lot better

Debadge "dual motor" at the rear?