PXL_20211015_170041146.jpg

big_pete

RMS Regular
OP
big_pete
Drives
Soulless pos
Still no tyres so not the update people want 😂

But a little over a month of ownership at 2700miles clocked up I thought I would offer some insight as to what life is like with a Tesla. The weekend seen me do a road trip to Kildare and back again in it that showed the cars utter strengths.

I had done this exact trip in the M4 during the summer and it was a pleasant journey, the m4 is comfortable, effortlessly fast and quite economical. The tesla just outdid it in every aspect for that journey.

Left with a full charge from the house overnight, out into a preheated car on a miserable wet day. No pissing about with keys etc unplug the cable, jump into the car and go.

For a long journey like that, mostly on motorways you just need comfort and ease of driving. Well autopilot just takes that to another level. It’s hard to describe unless you are familiar with it but it really lets you switch off. You aren’t quite a passenger as you are still interacting for overtakes, keeping an eye on the road etc but the car is taking care of so much, including indicating and coming off at exits etc there is no stress in following a map, focusing on your road speed, or even steering.

I have never driven a car over a distance and got out feeling refreshed but that’s exactly how the tesla makes you feel. You can enjoy the music, enjoy the conversation, enjoy the trip in a different way. Then when you know you are heading back to the car to return home, have it preheated, instant cosy car.

I stopped at apple green and had my first experience of a supercharger, wow! Quickly plugged in and I was inside, use the loo, quick bite to eat and by the time I was done my range was pretty much full again. In all of 15mins or so. It would have been more hassle stopping for fuel than it was stoping to charge.

Then you have the one pedal driving, crawling in traffic, negotiating towns etc it is just 100 times easier and more pleasant than a conventional automatic car.

What about the fun aspect? Well one of the only joys of that journey from a driving perspective is leaving the toll booths. Granted there is no noise while leaving it with haste but when you are being shot into the horizon at warp speed, giggling like a child, the noise doesn’t matter.

So far the car has slotted so well into my life. Bob flavin mentioned on the podcast that come a wet miserable day I won’t be enjoying the car. On a wet miserable day, I wouldn’t be enjoying the M4, struggling for traction. In the tesla I am relaxed and chilled.

It genuinely is the perfect daily driver.

The downsides

- the door handles are stupid, awkward to use and passengers are bewildered as to how to get in. Also in the dark you can’t see them at all. Wouldn’t be a problem on a different coloured car but on a black car it is infuriating!

- if there is water on the roof and your window is down there is a Tsunami coming in over your door trims and your arm when you move. Despite knowing this I repeatedly forget and do this to myself regularly. Angers me no end.

That’s it, can’t think of a single other bad thing about it.

Am I glad I still have a noisey petrol car, absolutely! Have I driven the noisey petrol car as often as I thought I would, sadly no. Or maybe that speaks volumes to just how good the Tesla is.

If you have been debating getting one, go for it! But be warned, it will erode away all the things you think you enjoyed about motoring and show you there is a whole other side to it that can really be enjoyed.

That’s enough EV love for today, I may take the M4 a spin later making popping banging noises and feel traditional brutal power just so I don’t turn soft.

Woodcutter

RMS Regular
Great post Pete.

We have a bambino on the way in April, so I need a practical family car and an EV that I can put through the business is looking like the thing to do.

Tesla 3 long range or Audi Q4 E-Tron are the current front runners, but haven't driven either. Interesting to hear this feedback from a Model 3 owner.

big_pete

RMS Regular
OP
big_pete
Drives
Soulless pos
@WSM get that McLaren back so I can gap you 😂 then you’ll see lol

@Woodcutter I get to see and drive a lot of EV stuff through work and honestly Tesla have it nailed so much better than the other manufacturers. The rest feel like a compromised car from my own experience, the Tesla just works.

If they bring the Lucid over here I think that’s probably the only other EV that has a real chance of matching the experience

KevM

RMS Regular
I had our Model S for a few days last week and have to say, I dont really feel the same & I cant put my finger on it.
It was so easy, quick, comfortable etc, but I dunno.
Despite the Acceleration being the big Novelty of the Tesla, on the second day, I turned the Acceleration option to Chill, steering to Comfort and just wafted about.
I dont know if the Model 3 is the same, but I hate EV's that show you a loss of range when you put the heating on. I know that's to be expected & perfectly logical, but its psychological. It annoys me having to think about the consequence of clearing the condensation off my windows!!

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo
All A3/S3/RS3 from 2004 do the same thing with the windows down and rain on the roof. Catches me out some times too.

I would love a Tesla for my daily commute.

big_pete

RMS Regular
OP
big_pete
Drives
Soulless pos
I had our Model S for a few days last week and have to say, I dont really feel the same & I cant put my finger on it.
It was so easy, quick, comfortable etc, but I dunno.
Despite the Acceleration being the big Novelty of the Tesla, on the second day, I turned the Acceleration option to Chill, steering to Comfort and just wafted about.
I dont know if the Model 3 is the same, but I hate EV's that show you a loss of range when you put the heating on. I know that's to be expected & perfectly logical, but its psychological. It annoys me having to think about the consequence of clearing the condensation off my windows!!

It takes about a month to get used to that, you then don’t even think about it, especially when you are charging at home/work. It never becomes relevant as you are never really operating on needing the full charge as such.

When they bring super chargers to NI it really will be a total non issue, I couldn’t believe how easy it was, getting fuel would have taken as long/been as much hassle