Tesla Power in a Lotus Evora

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Cooper

Site Manager
Drives
C63 / Emira
Typically because of my new purchase I'm googling all things Evora. On Point Dyno in the US has dropped a Tesla drive train into an Evora and they just got it on the road a few days ago. An absolute monster.

Take a look at their build videos too, well worth it. Actually thinking I'll write a long form article about how electric sports cars will rule track days. It's that huge instant torque everywhere (instead of waiting to be in the power band) and no gear changes is the key. The guys mention building an electric drift car too; being able to smoke up the tyres say from 0-100mph in pretty much the flick of a switch from stationary would be epic.

pablo

RMS Moderator
do you think outright pace is the core concern for trackdays? More grip/torque/power/quicker shifting etc all make for a fast car but for hobbyist trackdays its (imo) more about feeling connected to a car in a way you can't get on the road. And in a way more speed = bigger offs = bigger risk.

just my 2c, but clearly electric is the future and its good to see performance being a major factor in development vs outright economy etc.

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
Nope. (n)
Evora :grinning:
Supercharged Evora :cool:
Electric Evora :mad:

To me, speed in a road car is wasted, its more about the connection, involvement and a key part of that is the sounds that an IC engine makes. The electric stuff is different but it is not (yet) remotely environmentaly friendly so its down to how fast you want to go. Speed in an electric car is like pulling yourself off, you might get there quickly, but theres no real wholesome satisfaction in it... :p

Cooper

Site Manager
OP
Cooper
Drives
C63 / Emira
On any circuit you could come out of a corner and be in the wrong gear/ out of the power band. No matter how many turbos you have or antilag or whatever. Electric the torque is just instantly there.

That makes me sit up and take notice.

The other major benefit is chassis dynamics. If the sports car is manufactured with the batteries in the floor like say he P85 then your centre of gravity and weight distribution are going to be unmatched.

Power. Handling. Driveability. Dynamics. Fun factor without a doubt.

It's the engine noise thing isn't it. That is the biggest hurdle.

VEN©M

RMS Regular
Drives
2011 Camaro SS
Yeah. the sound is trippy but utlimately its lame. The evora sounds so good! but it is sharp! i really wanted to see them launch it up the 1/4.

paddymcc

RMS Regular
Drives
C63
Seemed pretty Savage when they floored it beside the pickup truck!

Personally would prefer the sound/smell etc of the normal evora over a battery powered one.

Nigelo

RMS Regular
What weight is the electric evora? It'd not blunt acceleration thanks to all that torque, but even if that battery mass is low down, would it not impact a lot of suspension and tyre dynamics? The Evora must be close to 1700kg (Tesla P80 is over 2100kg)

DavidY

RMS Regular
Drives
his wife mad.
Am i the only one here who is wondering what the point of all this is? Aren't they essentially just building a Tesla Roadster? Is it worth all the hassle for the same outcome?

Phil_EK9

RMS Regular
Drives
FN2 CTR/E36
Electric cars are a long way off being effective track cars. None, as far as i'm aware, have a suitable cooling system to handle more than a lap or two at a time.

And even if that was sorted, range would still be an issue. You will have to charge up at some point unless you live right next to the circuit.

And the current weight would destroy tires and brakes.

And the expense of a decent performing car...

Not really worth it for those slight performance advantages :p

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.