Tesla Roadster Surprise: 0-60 in 1.9s and 600+ mile Range

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.

Cooper

Site Manager
Drives
C63 / Emira
See the blog feature on this - Tesla and Elon Musk took the automotive industry by surprise, whilst at their electric truck launch event they slipped in a brand new model to the range: the second generation Tesla Roadster.

Claims for the new Tesla Roadster are bold and figures are top trumps: 0-60 in 1.9s, 0-100 under 7s, Top Speed over 250mph and a 600+ mile range. If the chassis is up to scratch, weight is kept to sensible levels and of course the battery technology is used to keep a low centre of gravity and perfect weight distribution this could be a supercar slayer at the track.

Read the Full Article Here

Read the Entire Article Here

genman

G
Also Tesla reliability record is poor.
Great to see what is possible...now it's just needs to be affordable.
Should wake up some mainstream companies though as even at $200k it's still cheaper than the rival Porsche etc

Dave..

RMS Regular
The Tesla Semi, if it can be sold at a competitive price could be a game changer.

lorry.jpg

Rocko

RMS Regular
Drives
Pure Soul
I assume thats a typo? That's 7300+ lb/ft, 7 times the P100D figure.

Edit:

Keep in mind that Tesla is quoting 10000N/m of WHEEL torque, for comparison, a 911 Turbo S has 750*3.909 (1st gear) *3.44(Final Drive)~=10100N/m of max wheel torque in 1st gear.

Actually, it also seems to be lower than the Model S P100D's wheel torque: 1250*9.73 ~=12100N/m, Tesla wants them big numbers for PR it seems.

warren

RMS Photographer
Ah, not incorrect then as such.

But how does that work with the Tesla only having 1 gear?

Assuming wheel torque on the likes of the 911 goes down as you go up through the gears will the Tesla have 10,000nm the entire time?

*I have no understanding of working out wheel torque, correct if I’m wrong

Cooper

Site Manager
OP
Cooper
Drives
C63 / Emira
Ah, not incorrect then as such.

But how does that work with the Tesla only having 1 gear?

Assuming wheel torque on the likes of the 911 goes down as you go up through the gears will the Tesla have 10,000nm the entire time?

*I have no understanding of working out wheel torque, correct if I’m wrong
I think you're right. It should have full torque for the full range of electric motor revs. On the track, being 'in the power band' or 'wrong gear' suddenly becomes meaningless as the EV has more on demand torque more of the time. The way this thing must launch itself out of corners must be unreal.

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
I guess I don't see the point in a 250k road car, especially a souped up milk float with half a ton of batteries on board that are made from a metal that has to have special re-cycling rules because it is so polluting. Speed limits, traffic etc means it's really a bit pointless having a really quick road car. Something light, nimble and a bit quick yes.
You honestly think many of those cars would have difficulty starting?

DavidY

RMS Regular
Drives
his wife mad.
How are insurance figures looking for things like this? Literally no idea on that.

Rocko

RMS Regular
Drives
Pure Soul
I guess I don't see the point in a 250k road car, especially a souped up milk float with half a ton of batteries on board that are made from a metal that has to have special re-cycling rules because it is so polluting. Speed limits, traffic etc means it's really a bit pointless having a really quick road car. Something light, nimble and a bit quick yes.
You honestly think many of those cars would have difficulty starting?

You'd hardly drive a rally Mk2 to work?

How are insurance figures looking for things like this? Literally no idea on that.

They're all Group 50

cauld1

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E34

I drove this to work for the best part of a year....
Screenshot_2017-11-17-16-55-05-1.png

So yes, probably would drive a rally mk2 to work haha.

I think the Tesla is pretty cool in fairness, interesting tech and the figures from it are great. The truck is even more interesting imo though!

cauld1

RMS Regular
Drives
BMW E34
Oh yea as a runabout without doubt.

And definitely over my rattly and cold (yet thanks to the Recaro surprisingly comfortable) mx5.

Id rather have the monetary value in my bank account to actually be able to consider either in fairness..

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
I used to commute into belfast for 5 years in a car with twin webers and I miss that badly, so I probably would lol. I do realise it's not practical as a daily of course but I really don't accept that the issues around battery creation, charging and disposal / re-cycling are being properly highlighted. All electric cars and hybrids are the next diesel type scandal with lies and miss-information everywhere.

Creaney

RMS Regular
Drives
why wouldn't you be excited for this. i think its brilliant. if they ever make an affordable one with 300mile range ill have one in my drive.

Steviegsi

RMS Regular
Drives
E46 M3
why wouldn't you be excited for this. i think its brilliant. if they ever make an affordable one with 300mile range ill have one in my drive.

Because its a step closer to the world ending up like the film "Demolition Man". It'll be awful, and we will all yearn for the days of petrol engines, real meat as opposed to whatever printed **** we will be fed and each and every other real thing we all enjoy. There is no doubt the technology is fantastic, and the things that will come over the rest of our lifetime will likely be mindblowing, but , mehh.

Most of all, that robot thing in the other thread worries me the most. Those ****ers will be armed and patrolling the streets like Ed-209 from RoboCop.

You have 15 seconds to comply....
giphy.gif

Status
This is not open for further replies. We close very old threads, and if this is the case, please start a new one on the same topic.