The 'all Things Porsche' Thread...

zafturbo

RMS Regular
Given the cars in the background I assume that’s Hurst? If so it was on display at the Ferrari day. Paint on the front bumper is terrible.
This car was through Wilson’s auction a few months ago .the guy in there was telling me all about it and it’s past .it was interesting .

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Funnily enough when I saw the Matt black Lambo I wondered was it the one from wilsons, maybe got them both then.

zafturbo

RMS Regular
Funnily enough when I saw the Matt black Lambo I wondered was it the one from wilsons, maybe got them both then.
There was this and another gt3 but not the Rs so it was more road”friendly” to use daily.both owned by same person I think he said .

Q.S Gav

RMS Regular
The colour isn’t for everyone (I love it), but what a rear...

DF091B5E-FF0C-400B-90EE-CD4F3E4088E7.jpeg

Last edited:

Eager

RMS Regular
Drives
broooooom
What’s thoughts on 996 turbo over a basic NA 996. Do they have a better engine design ? Much to know or avoid ? The NA engine Sounded terrible and I know others will say it’s ok and not as bad as the internet makes out etc but it’s a no from me.
The x50 pack sounds the job

Last edited:

KeithRobinson

RMS Regular
Drives
911Turbo
What’s thoughts on 996 turbo over a basic NA 996. Do they have a better engine design ? Much to know or avoid ? The NA engine Sounded terrible and I know others will say it’s ok and not as bad as the internet makes out etc but it’s a no from me.
The x50 pack sounds the job

The N/A engine sounded terrible? Never heard that complaint. It’s one of the best sounding engines of any car. The X50 engines are the same engine with some mild tweaks which wouldn’t do much for sound. The genuine Porsche sports exhausts sound sublime on them!

I think you might mean the turbo. They don’t sounds as good. My 997 turbo didn’t sound as good as the N/A cars. Sounds decent now with the sharkwerks exhaust.

The 996 turbos don’t have any huge flaws, except the metal sleeve that the coolant pipes attach to can detach. They need pinned which is an engine out job (big labour costs).

The N/A engines are very reliable other than the bearing/bore scoring fear. However most will have suffered by now if they were going to.

Eager

RMS Regular
Drives
broooooom
I don’t mean actual noise. I meant reliability. Chatting to Alan mcgookin I would not touch the NA.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
That sounds, in all honesty, like a load of nonsense...

Take any engine ever made from any manufacturer and you'll find "stories" about this that or the other going horribly wrong. And then the bandwaggon jumps on and goes "oh this happens all the time to all of those engines", etc.

And then a whole industry of "must have" modifications that apparently everyone must do because some dude in a shed in Surrey or whatever knows better than the manufacturer, and so on.

When in the real world any manufacturer will have made a few duds and that's all there is to it.

Doesn't mean every engine on the planet is about to go bang... If it's a real problem there will be a manufacturer recall or fixed under warranty at the next service.

trev 1515

RMS Regular
Drives
E39 M5 Evo ix
I wouldn’t hesitate to buy a 996 turbo, like anything else high performance it could run up a big bill or it could be faultless. I’ve been looking at them the past while, a nice manual turbo is anywhere from £35k up, but holding their value.

KeithRobinson

RMS Regular
Drives
911Turbo
There are thousands of 996 and 997 engines with 150k plus miles in them.

They are incredibly reliable in the main. You could get very very unlucky. Porsche do a replacement short motor now for £5k. (Roughly)

riano

RMS Regular
Drives
C63s coupe
Can any tyre place change tyres with the centre locking wheel nuts or is it best to take the car to Porsche and get them to do it?