The 'all Things Porsche' Thread...

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos
In my experience either porsche or McMillans. I get McMillans to pop then off and on for us if we are coating any centre locls

richie_mck

RMS Regular
I don’t mean actual noise. I meant reliability. Chatting to Alan mcgookin I would not touch the NA.

That's funny seeing as he has a particular lovely 996 carrera 2 with a techart kit and has had for quite some time. He told me he wouldn't go near a 997 n/a but the 996's have been completely blown out of proportion. He was also the one who advised me not to worry about the ims bearing in mine.

In saying that I did get McMillan to do the IMS bearing on one of mine (2004, 46k miles) to aid a sale and as frustrating as it was handing over £1700 it was even more frustrating when the bearing that was taken out was perfect.

Cossers

RMS Regular
Drives
That's funny seeing as he has a particular lovely 996 carrera 2 with a techart kit and has had for quite some time. He told me he wouldn't go near a 997 n/a but the 996's have been completely blown out of proportion. He was also the one who advised me not to worry about the ims bearing in mine.

In saying that I did get McMillan to do the IMS bearing on one of mine (2004, 46k miles) to aid a sale and as frustrating as it was handing over £1700 it was even more frustrating when the bearing that was taken out was perfect.

Wouldn’t go near a 997? Surly the 997 ims based engine has the best of the latter 996 fixes and the 997.2 is the most desirable of them all given the prices they fetch.

Re the centre locking nut, needs @600nm torque wrench to torque up the centre nut, fairly straight forward process tbh, id want a drive shaft guide to help guide the wheel off and save the calipers and inside of the wheel from making if they clash

richie_mck

RMS Regular
Wouldn’t go near a 997? Surly the 997 ims based engine has the best of the latter 996 fixes and the 997.2 is the most desirable of them all given the prices they fetch.

I'm only saying what he said to me, I'm not sure his comment was connected to the IMS failure and more to do with another issue. From my own research the IMS design changed from Mar 05 on so the last run of the 996 and in to the 997.1 but it's an engine out job to change those ims's

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
No sane person replaces a bearing unless it has actually failed... Unless you have money to spare or forced to for other reasons, or plan to go racing or whatever and are rebuilding anyway, etc. Or get it done under warranty.

On most cars it will be absolutely fine. And also obviously varies hugely with the kind of (ab)use or (lack of) maintenance a particular car has seen.

Personally I would worry much, much more about the latter two than whatever the latest Interweb horror story might be on any particular day.

The Interweb is great for many things. It is also a brilliant echo-chamber for blowing things totally out of proportion.

richie_mck

RMS Regular
No sane person replaces a bearing unless it has actually failed... Unless you have money to spare or forced to for other reasons, or plan to go racing or whatever and are rebuilding anyway, etc. Or get it done under warranty.

On most cars it will be absolutely fine. And also obviously varies hugely with the kind of (ab)use or (lack of) maintenance a particular car has seen.

Personally I would worry much, much more about the latter two than whatever the latest Interweb horror story might be on any particular day.

The Interweb is great for many things. It is also a brilliant echo-chamber for blowing things totally out of proportion.

Try selling one that hasn’t had the bearing replaced, then you’d understand why I replaced it. It was always the first question asked and after being told no they simply weren't interested. They couldn't seem to understand that they could have it changed themselves if it was such a big issue for them. The issue with an IMS failure is that it is catastrophic for the engine so why people are fond of demanding they are done

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Yes, I understand you were forced to. Wasn't aimed at you, just the general "somebody had this horrific thing happen to their car we have no idea what the history is of the car or the driver but because it is mentioned on the Interweb it MUST now be changed on every car ever made or the world will come to an end" attitude.

Eager

RMS Regular
Drives
broooooom

I know he has one and he Told me it could have issues at any time. after my chat with him, I made my mind up I would not go for one, each to there own but it’s not worth it to me.

So, i see the turbo starts around 35k, with probably around 40 for a better mile one. Is the x50 pack much more desirable ? They seem certainly fairly safe from depreciation too.

richie_mck

RMS Regular
Fair enough. I’d say the turbos are a sound investment and when it comes to selling a Porsche spec is king so the x50 would definitely be nice to have. Some really nice ones out there at the minute

Eager

RMS Regular
Drives
broooooom
I never really looked but with the garage looking like it be Empty by the weekend my thoughts have been running. Possibly deciding my jap years are coming to a end.
However I’ve no idea if I would insure one easily, it’s something I would need to look into. And pulling that trigger would be quite something too.
I loved how that black one looks I linked to earlier on

4EE4C6D0-B4EF-434E-8CB1-ACD14BBF3208.png

Martyn

RMS Regular
I never really looked but with the garage looking like it be Empty by the weekend my thoughts have been running. Possibly deciding my jap years are coming to a end.
However I’ve no idea if I would insure one easily, it’s something I would need to look into. And pulling that trigger would be quite something too.
I loved how that black one looks I linked to earlier on

View attachment 250346

There is a lovely 997 turbo at Porsche Belfast atm,,

Like all their cars - totally immaculate.

SPIKE_

RMS Regular
Drives
GTI | JCW
Seen this yesterday, very very nice and as you say their used stock is presented like new. Bought the mrs a black GTS Macan they had.
Did you buy this during the week? Seen it being driven around past Shorts on a test drive. Stunning car, and would love one myself to do the family duties.

mcma1

RMS Regular
Drives
A Bull
Did you buy this during the week? Seen it being driven around past Shorts on a test drive. Stunning car, and would love one myself to do the family duties.

Yes bought it on Friday. Hard enough to find a black on black car with the GTS wheels so pleased one turned up local!

KevM

RMS Regular
There are thousands of 996 and 997 engines with 150k plus miles in them.

They are incredibly reliable in the main. You could get very very unlucky. Porsche do a replacement short motor now for £5k. (Roughly)

It’s around £1100 to do an IMS bearing if you are really paranoid. Wait til the clutch needs doing and it’s peanuts for the bearing itself.

Bore score tends to be overheating around the liner. ie - you’ve been giving the car a hard time, stop at a junction. Water pump is now dispersing coolant at a well reduced rate (idle). Coolant boils and creates a hot-spot on the liner. Driver then goes for a full launch off the lights and the lubricant film has now cooked off the liner. Max Torque and no lube score yer bore.

Solution can be a low temp thermostat and a third rad, to reduce coolant temp more effectively and increase flow around vulnerable parts of the block.

It’s not really madness to change a bearing that hasn’t failed, it’s too late when it goes. It’s a preventative measure. Just like doing shell bearings and bolts on nearly every model of M3, just in case.

Last edited:

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
CGT is such a lovely thing, just perfection. The whole car, the concept, the idea, not just the looks. Quite rare too, don't think I've ever seen one in real life.

Probably common as muck in Monaco though, lol.