The 'all Things Porsche' Thread...

JT079

RMS Regular
How about a patina on it own rights: a beautiful Porsche 912 covered with poor orange/red paint, hand scrapped by the current owner

Now as you may know my car has this rare petrol blue metallic underneath the popular silver respray. On many panels, from the chips, I can see the silver -> greenish primer -> petrol blue. This has crossed my mind several times now ...Call me mad, but I am seriously considering this.

Before:
before1.png

before2.png

before3.png
before3.png

During:
During1.png

During4.jpg

The finished:
Photo 30-07-2020, 10 23 57.jpg

Photo 30-07-2020, 10 22 17.jpg

Photo 30-07-2020, 10 23 09.jpg

mark19

RMS Regular
Drives
golf
How about a patina on it own rights: a beautiful Porsche 912 covered with poor orange/red paint, hand scrapped by the current owner

Now as you may know my car has this rare petrol blue metallic underneath the popular silver respray. On many panels, from the chips, I can see the silver -> greenish primer -> petrol blue. This has crossed my mind several times now ...Call me mad, but I am seriously considering this.

Before:
View attachment 289291
View attachment 289292
View attachment 289293View attachment 289293

During:
View attachment 289294

View attachment 289297

The finished:
View attachment 289298
View attachment 289301
View attachment 289300
Ruined and the wheels ruined even more

Cossers

RMS Regular
Drives
Tbh not for me either! beauty is in the eye and all that but with some cars I feel it’s got to the stage where some take a car and because of its make they feel they can do anything and it’s going to be cool!

some just look a complete mess, please don’t do this to you car, have a complete strip and respray but leave some of the age about it where possible.

dont get me wrong a singer is a work of art but it looses something when nothing of the old car is left really, it’s nice to see a worn seat or door card in an old car, also nice to have a great respray too to house it.

i remember going to buy a bike once and ended up the guy that sold it to me had a Lamborghini muira SV in the garage, totally unrestored, it was well worn inside but I seen the history, nice feeling that I was sitting on leather that had been graced my many a famous butt and not fresh off a cow in the field behind my house.

Last edited:

JT079

RMS Regular
😄😄

If I go for a full respray, the silver and blue need to be sanded down TBH Plusthe original blue paint will be gone...

JT079

RMS Regular
The original colour is very rich.
“The 1970’s were a pretty colorful decade, but white, grey and black took over more and more market shares. Ironically, Petrol Blue came up in the exact same time as the second oil crisis in 1979. Petrol Blue is a relatively dark metallic blue with a small glimmer of green.”

andy9eleven

RMS Regular
Drives
All broken
@JT079 Don't do it! Your silver looks great even if it's not original. My bitsa SC was Minerva Blue and was repainted (badly) in black. The Minerva isn't a great colour imo. Silver is a nice timeless classic colour that quite simply looks good on them.

Ah just seeing your message above ^. Petrol blue is a lovely shade. But would I try and remove silver to get back to it...? Nope.

JT079

RMS Regular
@JT079 Don't do it! Your silver looks great even if it's not original. My bitsa SC was Minerva Blue and was repainted (badly) in black. The Minerva isn't a great colour imo. Silver is a nice timeless classic colour that quite simply looks good on them.

sometimes you seen it then you cannot foresee the bad paint... @Andy888
Not a fan of the brown but do love this patina..

This one has got a 964 engine lid as well, was a popular conversion back then.

veedubnoodle

RMS Regular
Drives
her crazy
@JT079 I'd keep it 'as is' if it was mine. The original colour would be lovely but only if the silver paint is crappy and you are strongly considering a respray. Deffo do not sand it back to the original colour though, I don't think the car would suit that kind of style.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
Drives
FK2 CTR
Yes, forget whose this particular one was.

There's been quite a few collections up for auction recently. Don't know if it's just people clearing out the garage as it were or if it's a sign the classic car bubble is about to burst and people are bailing out.

The supercar bubble is bursting already, the classic car bubble may not be far behind.

But then you see prices like the above, lol 😅

JT079

RMS Regular
lol, don’t think these old car market is still on bubble...back to 2015, that was the burst of bubble but again these cars are very limited on supply, the motion is high and anything can happen. With current uncertainty, a lot of people may just buy physical assets, just look at gold price...