The Continuous Car Thread of S_S - Skodas, BMWs, Austins...

surprising_skoda

RMS Regular
OP
surprising_skoda
Drives
Skoda/BMW/Austin
Let's dip back to 2013 or so. I bought a Cosmos Black BMW E34 540i 6-speed manual, one of the original 249 RHD saloons made, which had been turned by previous owner(s) into a fast track/road car. I continued with that theme, adding some other performance and aesthetic upgrade / rare parts, notably one of 50 M5 Limited Edition champagne interiors, making it a very fast road car, a bit hairy in fact with the final drive ratio I ran it with. The car suited it perfectly, what with scuffs on the rear quarters, stonechips all over, and being one of the most common colours and high mileage it was never going to be a candidate for being restored to factory.
Regrettably I sold that car, which is a long story oft-rehashed.
Let's fast forward now to 2018. A few other V8s had come and went, as had many other E34s, but this 540i/6 thing was still a massive niggle. Then, up popped an ad for one of the 62 RHD manual Tourings from a guy I knew from the BMW circles. I re-made that acquaintance and got talking about this Touring, a bit of a project but with a large amount of the remedial work done, needing only some things I could easily take care of. Much humming and hahhing ensued but eventually I made the purchase on the grounds of these things are so rare, I won't get another chance, and more than that, I won't allow myself to continue looking for one if I pass up the opportunity to buy a 1 of 1 car from someone I trust, within an affordable price range.
But, a touring could never replace a track car. Much less, being the only 1 of 1 made in Avus Blue, of only 62 ever made, with probably 50% long gone - despite being another high miler, I just couldn't allow myself to pop rivet arches onto it and strip the interior out. Not that I wanted to exactly - but I want to have the option. And it is just too rare. It needs to actually be restored, and used for what it is. A fast road load lugger - it was the perfect car for a few trips I made, and great at covering distance in a hurry - but you can't fit a BGW to a touring.
So I fixed that. A succession of very timely events resulted in finding and procuring, once again, one of 'the worst examples of the best cars' (TM). I can't recall where I heard that phrase, but I love it. My E28, my Impreza, and now my E34, are all terrible examples of desirable and rare cars, which really bugs some people and which is ideal for me. I can do what I like without worries about "ruining" a good example, and the purists can go moan about non-period correct tyres to someone else.
So, here, would you like to see my latest bundle of scrap?
IMG_20201212_122444.jpg

THIS junk is one of the original 249 540i/6 RHD saloons, in one of the other most common colours, which has been used a drift car for the last half decade. It's passed through a couple of owners in that time, and I've followed it's progress around the UK and actually tried to buy it once before.
The bodywork is shocking. It's seen a wall or two and of course it's been subject to many drift-arena repairs, i.e. cable ties, but you know what, despite all that, it's not bent out of shape entirely, and I can't find any reason not to make it road legal again. A Zender front bumper came with it to match those riveted on Zender skirts (poor things), and the wheels will have to go, and it has BC coilovers and the bootlid is held on with pins. The interior consists of a couple of bucket seats, some gauges, and a hydraulic handbrake.
I love it. Coming soon: Fast road / track 540i/6, built exactly how I want it to be. Ugly, wide, no pretty just all function, nobody allowed to argue about it because at the end of the day this cars next stop was likely drivetrain donor for something immensely dull like an E30. This way, I get to keep one of these rare cars alive, and have the track focussed weapon I always wanted a 540 to be.
It really is having your cake, and eating it, too.
Except, no more cake is allowed. Bucket seats are a bit tight around the middle!

surprising_skoda

RMS Regular
OP
surprising_skoda
Drives
Skoda/BMW/Austin
This'll just be a "how did the cars fare through January?" post.

Well.

I started off the year using that weird olive green X5 diesel with heated seats.
It wasn't exactly tested with 1mm of snow earlier in the month.
IMG_20201231_112258-001.jpg

I had actually come to like the X5 (almost) until one frosty morning the door handle broke off in my hand. Someone then came and gave me a deposit for the diff that this one had, and that was it away to die.
Back to the black Landrover. No issues other than the handbrake being a bit wick. That we eventually figured out was because of a small leak from a rear transfer box seal making the handbrake shoes wet. The handbrake drum on these is between the transfer casing and the prop-shaft.
That's good because the cables therefore are very short, and the red one needed cables! (and a bearing).
The parts took ages to come so the red Landrover sat on the lift for over a week, annoyingly. Once the bearing was bolted in (4 bolts on the rear of the hub [rather like an E39], nice and easy) and the handbrake adjusted up, it actually drives REALLY well. For that reason I still haven't decided if I want to get rid of it. I'd like to make myself choose between the black one and the red one (and keep the silver one for shunting around the yard) but I keep putting the decision off. Maybe I just need to find a really good reason to keep them all.

Right, IMPORTANT stuff. After 3 years of waiting, I sectioned off on the calendar all of late January for one very special car, and committed that now with 2 lifts (50% of the reason for getting a second lift last year) there was absolutely no way I would be deterred from this mission.
And with that said, on the 22nd of this month, my beloved and far-better-condition-than-people-think E28 M535i was fired up for the first time in 6 months. Did I prep it? Did I give it some fresh juice? Did I advance warn it in any way before cranking it over from cold in literally freezing conditions? NO! And she fired up after only 23 or so turns. What a champ!
IMG_20210122_162825-001.jpg

So that's now residing in the workshop waiting for me to get started on it. It's been a long time so to refresh, it came off the road with some welding needing done above the back axle, a typical 5 series spot, not major but requires the rear axle to be dropped out. The fuel tank in an E28 is located further back so that's not in the way. Likely when it's up there I'll be renewing brake and fuel pipes, and any remaining bushes that haven't already been converted to poly. Also I had found that along it's long list of owners in England, someone had used all manner of tack screws, nails and other rubbish to make the side skirts stay on, so I have lots of little scabby holes in the sills to seal up and then rectify that whole arrangement. I do have some Zender skirts hiding somewhere I think which might make it on for a while.
So welding, basically. The rest of the car is perfect. I will probably have to address the lower parts of the drivers wing now as well, if I leave it any longer it won't have any strength left. Yes it looks like it's been through a fence - because it has. Also the guys in work have convinced me to wash the green algae off before taking it for an MOT, so I guess that will happen too.

A bit of bad timing meant the black Land Rover was up on the lift with a sickly 840ci blocking it in when the snow fell. So I had taken the second most obvious choice and was using the Mini which was entertaining (not). The next day it was frozen over inside and out and took forever to thaw, and when it did I found the windcreen cracked up the middle. Sigh. I still used it anyway because it's a complete throwaway car and the one I'd least mind about binning.
As you'd imagine, it was only after the two days of snow that I realised I should have went and got the red Land Rover with the near-new A/T tyres on it. Duh!

So I didn't do that. Instead I went and got the Mystic Blue 325ci I mentioned before and navigated that up (and down and up and down and up again) the snowy road to my house. The road I live on gets quite high for the area, and running parallel to the sun-path with a line of hedges and trees to the southerly side means this road never gets any sunlight during winter. So it compacts and freezes - it's a complete death-trap. And people still do 70mph on it anyway despite walkers, horses and tractors. It's a full on farmyard-on-each-side argricultural road, and not wide enough for two SUVs or vans to pass each other, but it's a major shortcut between two villages so it's just treated/driven like a main A road.
Anyway.
Sunset in a RWD Cabrio, having just climbed the snowiest, highest bit of hill.
IMG_20210124_173013-001.jpg

I'll tell you more about the Cabrio later.

surprising_skoda

RMS Regular
OP
surprising_skoda
Drives
Skoda/BMW/Austin
Things have happened.

1. E38 finally made it into the workshop for an engine change. Going entirely to plan except it's not, of course. The original engine with knocking big ends was pulled out, and the sump, oil pump and baffle from that engine were supposed to go on to the replacement engine, also from a 2000 728i (which actually was the same car the lowering springs were in before) - but the baffle plate was totally different and doesn't fit. Weird. Then I sold the brakes off it (brembos) because there was a man waving cash at me, and the car was already in the air - and we've got another handful of them in the yard to get brakes off later. Except... on all those other brakes, the bleed nipples rung off. On like 3 sets of them. So those all need tapped out now, sigh. And then the alternator needed changed as it's wasn't charging. But, it's getting there. I'm also going to play with the exhaust and reduce the amount of muffling in it and open up some noise, because, why not. Loud and low.
IMG_20210127_094615.jpg

2. A mate that runs a garage in the next village over rang me needing some Mini parts. The one he was fixing was an 05 and so the early model gearbox I had out already didn't suit - but would would suit was the box from my 06. With a crack up the screen, and my buddy needing a gearbox (and an axle, and some trim, and brakes...) there was enough cause to continue thinning the fleet. I wouldn't have let the Mini go die for any old stranger but I don't mind doing so to help out someone I've known for 15 years.
Last shot as it drove up to be pulled apart.
IMG_20210202_100336.jpg

Not only have I known Mark since he was serving his apprenticeship at the dealer I worked at back in 2005, he also went on to teach mechanical engineering in the local college, where he taught the 24 yr old that runs my workshop. Mark also was the mechanic that did all the work to my first E34 all those years ago, and he's dug me out of a couple of emergency "need a trailer NOW" situations. Look back a page or two, it was his trailer I picked up the Fergie with.
And his head mechanic Jack, also in his mid 20s, who grew up less than 500m from where I grew up, is best friends with another guy on my staff. Some people knock the "everybody knows everybody" familiarity of Northern Ireland, but I love it.
Jack stripped my wee Mini of all it's running gear before I went and loaded the carcass onto my little truck.
IMG_20210205_134629.jpg

3. I said "continue to thin the fleet" intentionally. Now I didn't plan on letting the Mini go, but I had been advertising other vehicles. Not very strongly, mind you, as with current restrictions, viewings are seldom and difficult, plus all my cars are old projects or luxury cars, not cars you'd buy to start using daily for your essential job.
But I certainly didn't mind selling the E39 540i/6 Sport. It needed some bodywork, although it drove lovely and was very presentable. But there were a couple of scrapes and rust blisters on it, enough to need some treatment and paint. It was nothing difficult but just one of those projects that got shelved. Well, a nice young fella who had struggled to get hold of a good one, made contact and came to see this one. It was high mileage and silver, and he'd already tried to buy a low miler, nicer colour auto from England but again with travel the way it is, he decided to buy local and played off the manual 6 speed he wanted versus the silver paintwork that he didn't.
A couple of staff asked me after it went if I was going to miss it. Miss it? Nah. They didn't understand why a 5 series 4.4 V8 with a manual Getrag box and M5 LSD in it wouldn't be an ultimate car for me, especially after having not long sold the other one as well.
I think I like my power cars to be a bit rawer.

4. "continue to thin.." another guy I've known for years got in touch and took a spin over for a look at something else I'd vaguely been offering for sale, simply due to not having the time to get back around to it since overhauling the undercarriage. I've known Terry since opening the business, and he's bought and restored several E30 Sports in that time, as well as Corolla AE86s and a handful of Lancer Evos. So with the knowledge that at least this car would be restored, I let him take it for a little less than it stood me - he is the first person to look at it who wasn't scared by the minor amount of bodywork it needs and who agreed that I was spot on with the value I'd put on the car.
So, goodbye, D-Turbo.
IMG_20210206_140350.jpg

5. Attempted to press red Discovery back into use. One flat tyre, battery very flat. Couldn't get it started on a jump so had to pull battery out to charge it up. I think I've decided to move it on now. I'm very happy with the black one, although it needs piles of work, but the red one clearly isn't needed if it's not being used at all.
They're great cars so I might regret that is 10 years time, but the cash that frees up will be pumped into the black one to renew the brakes and suspension and just go right through it.

Current fleet list then:
1930 Austin 7 Ulster (totally stripped project)
193? Austin 7 Special (totally unstarted project)
193? Austin 7 chassis
195? Ferguson TED20
1978 Cadillac Coupe DeVille (stalled project)
1979 Skoda S110R (just needs wheels)
1985 Skoda 120G Garde Cabriolet (unstarted project)
1985 BMW E28 M535i (about-to-begin project!!)
1985 Skoda Estelle 120L5 (languishing)
1985 Fiat Regata 70 (unstarted project)
1987 Skoda Rapid 136 (unstarted project)
1987 Skoda Estelle 130LSE (languishing)
1988 Skoda Rapid 136 (unstarted project)
1990 Skoda Rapid 136 (languishing)
1992 Skoda Favorit Pickup (languishing)
1992 Skoda Favorit 136LS (languishing)
1993 Alfa Romeo 164 V6 Cloverleaf (unstarted project)
1994 BMW E32 740i (stalled project)
1995 Skoda Favorit Estate GLXiE (stalled project)
1995 Skoda Favorit Estate GLXiE (stalled project)
1995 Skoda Favorit Estate GLXiE (unstarted project)
1995 BMW E34 540i/6 Drift-car (not road legal [yet!])
1997 BMW E36 M3 Evo Convertible
1997 Skoda Felicia L 1.9d (unstarted project)
2000 BMW E38 728i (hopefully in use shortly!)
2000 Subaru Impreza Turbo2000 (in-progress project)
2001 Alfa Romeo 156 V6 Sportwagon (parked on drive, not in use)
2002 Triumph TT600 (ongoing project)
2002 Land Rover Discovery II TD5 (in use as yard shunter)
2002 MG ZT V6 190+ (parked on drive, not in use)
2004 MG ZT-T CDTI 135 (in use)
2004 Land Rover Discovery II TD5 Landmark (in use)
2005 BMW 325Ci Cabriolet Sport (parked on drive, not in use)

And spares cars:
1989 Skoda Rapid 136
1994 Skoda Favorit Estate
1995 Alfa Romeo 146
1997 Alfa Romeo 164
2002 MG ZT V6 190
2002 MG ZT-T 120
2004 Rover 75 CDTI 135
2006 MG ZT CDTI 135

I'm pretty much dailying the black Discovery right now, and/or one of the several E46 330i's I've got sitting in work for future engine donors, and/or the truck or van, but I'm getting itchy feet again, trying not to look for any more project cars when I have the BMWs all coming back into the mix very, very soon...

surprising_skoda

RMS Regular
OP
surprising_skoda
Drives
Skoda/BMW/Austin
There be sad news to report.

It relates to one of the dearest (in affection) cars in the list above.

My M535i.

You'll know from a few posts ago that it's been waiting 3 years for me to install another 2 post lift expressly to use to get this car up in the air and replace some bits of corrosion I'd seen sprouting around the rear axle mounts. I'd also noted some hashbadgery relating to the skirts and their affixements, so there were little holes in the sills also needing welded shut.

However.

What I did not know is just how far down a rabbit hole of bungsplattery I was about to embark on when the car was hoisted up and the rear axle dropped out of it. I sent one of the guys in there with a knotwheel to remove the underseal and rust flakery so I could see what I had to work with.
Unfortunately, someone has been in there already.
This was clearly done years ago by someone who didn't know minus diddly blooming squat about welding. It was all hidden behind lathers of bodge and a pathetic paint job which I used to think was "characterful" but now I realise was actually a deliberate "add shiny, hide rusty" ruse to fool someone sometime back. Now, it wasn't anything to do with the guy I got the car from, but obviously somewhere along it's 14-or-so owners, there's been one who has thought, Ah, why not, I'll give this restoration thing a jab.

It wouldn't annoy me so much if it wasn't that the only, the ONLY, places that the shell is rotted out is the exact places where someone has been honing their "skill" at making a welder do the worst welds it possibly can without actually fusing the machine itself to the car. The car is straight and pretty much rust free everywhere else other than where this plop has been spewed over it.

Agh. I'm putting the rear axle back in and rolling it into a corner until I have more than a couple of weeks lift-time allotted for it, because now it needs a full-on 12 month restoration. I can't do this half-measures, but I was expecting to do a couple of days welding around the rear end and fix up some of the issues and put it back on the road for the summer, and leave the cosmetics until later. But no. The paint is flaking off the front wings too and they turned out to be stinking behind the (very thick) paint. Why? Because they are useless thin metal pattern parts that haven't been prepped properly and the paint just came off in sheets when I prodded it.

Sad face.

IMG_20210216_133641.jpg

IMG_20210217_110300.jpg

IMG_20210217_110330.jpg

IMG_20210217_110459.jpg

IMG_20210217_111325.jpg

surprising_skoda

RMS Regular
OP
surprising_skoda
Drives
Skoda/BMW/Austin
Well, with the dismal E28 news, I needed cheering up, which means, I bought a car!

may I introduce you to this, a 2003 320Ci Sport.
IMG_20210217_133201.jpg

It's a very clean black manual car with nice mileage, history, two keys, floor mats, good tyres - the kind of E46 you keep hoping each one you look at "should be" but never is. Someone I know responded to wanted advert on facebook and I sniped it - a little bit more than what I usually pay for these cars in my line of work, but this one just looked like a good one to put in my driveway, so that's where it is now, and sometime soon it will get an MOT and maybe a few small upgrades. Mainly the plan is to keep it good and keep it original, as it drives really well.

Contrary to that, the plan with the 2005 325Ci Cabriolet is still to try and get it into some kind of decent driveable order.
It's been annoying me as you might know with incessant niggles since I bought it, and the more I own it the more I think a blue car just is'nt the right one. Now I know that you might think, that's rather silly, but hear me out!
I have loads of E46 spare parts. I have interiors, panels, wheels, and all sorts of goodies for these cars, and more coming through all the time. BUT, I do not have a single set of wheels that look good against Mystic Blue. not "special enough". Just OK. It also has a grey interior and while I don't mind that, I prefer a bit of colour. I'm not one of these "black leather in all the things" people, but a bit of beige, or blue, or red is always better than grey. But changing a blue car's interior to black or beige is no more interesting than leaving it grey - and my interesting interiors that I have hidden away are Mulberry Red and Laguna Seca Blue interiors from the M3 models and both of those clash with the blue exterior.
Someone I know had a black coupe written off recently in a weird accident. He's fitted the engine to a boat and the spares that are left over are finding their way over to me bit by bit. Included in those are an almost new set of coilovers, and a set of 19" Breyton wheels. His car looked pretty good with this stance, and I think that the Cabrio may just inherit all of these parts and at least it will look a bit better than it does currently.
I've changed the steering wheel to one that doesn't deteriorate in your palm, eugh, and I will need to get some more interesting interior trim than the standard carbon cube that comes in Sport models. I may paint or flock a set just to get something a bit different. Maybe another visit to the 3D dip people, it's been 10 years almost since I had anything dipped.
And I changed out the grilles at last, as they were very irritating. Can you figure out why?
IMG_20210212_103008.jpg

If you guessed, because of the stupid M Colour stripes, you are correct.
Also, if you guessed, because those are saloon grilles, not coupe, you are also correct!
Now it has original, nice condition, chrome and black grilles like it should have.

And while I was at it, I fitted different badges to the Glacier E38.
IMG_20210211_163136.jpg

It will be in daily action REAL soon once I replace the broken instrument panel and fit a good steering wheel to it. And wash it.

surprising_skoda

RMS Regular
OP
surprising_skoda
Drives
Skoda/BMW/Austin
IMG_20210223_145641.jpg

There is news. Not all of it is here, but this is the start. Firstly, this is the view from behind the mask whilst I weld the light bar back together on the back of my flatbed truck.
Yes, that is dull. OK, moving on.

This is the black Discovery 2.
IMG_20210227_160740.jpg

And this is the red Discovery 2.
IMG_20210227_160750.jpg

You might notice (probably not) that the wheels have been swapped over. So now the black one has near new Kenda AT tyres and the red one has 18" road tyres.
Yes, also very dull.

Later that evening after that was done, I noticed that the vanity side-bar (not a step) had fallen down.
IMG_20210227_185707.jpg

Pretty sure that was knocked by the jack during the wheel change. The bracket at the back is broken - it was pretty rusty under the mud to be fair. The front of the bar is held in by a moulded socket on the mudflap - there is zero strength in these (hence not being steps) and they've been knocked out of those sockets on both sides before. If I'm getting in there with the welder then I'll likely put a bracket on the front end as well.
Or just remove them entirely so it's got better off-road clearance? Might get a chance to go green-laning soon.
So "part falling off" is also dull. Sorry.

I did buy another car though, another E38. Umm, it's been mostly behaving and it's been used as my daily for a couple of weeks now. It's completely standard, with standard wheels, in blue with beige leather. So it's also dull.

Must try harder... I'll go do something - be back in a while.

surprising_skoda

RMS Regular
OP
surprising_skoda
Drives
Skoda/BMW/Austin
It takes me too much time to write out the posts twice and re-host the pictures and put them in the right place... so if you want to catch up, here's what's happened since March 21...

page 20 (continues exactly where rms thread stopped being updated)

page 21

page 22 (current)

And this one is the latest addition:
IMG20220630153518-001.jpg

Paul.

RMS Regular
It takes me too much time to write out the posts twice and re-host the pictures and put them in the right place... so if you want to catch up, here's what's happened since March 21...

page 20 (continues exactly where rms thread stopped being updated)

page 21

page 22 (current)

And this one is the latest addition:View attachment 368234
Oh my. That's my favourite shape Camaro. Please do tell more about it.

As ever I enjoy reading your posts - now I know they're over on RR I'll make the journey over there more frequently. You've got a real knack for finding decent BMWs, too: I keep looking around for a cheap 6-pot to scratch an itch and now I'm figuring you've beaten me to the good ones. :joy:

mikey

RMS Regular
Drives
Celica
Ohh Camaro! Love the 80’s ‘muscle’ cars.
Treat her to a German heart transplant and give her the go she deserves to have 👌

southsky sunrise

RMS Regular
Drives
Old skool
Love to know how you find the time or remember half the stuff Will, interesting read on retro bud until you start using another recovery guy then I lost interest 😉.

surprising_skoda

RMS Regular
OP
surprising_skoda
Drives
Skoda/BMW/Austin
Ohh Camaro! Love the 80’s ‘muscle’ cars.
Treat her to a German heart transplant and give her the go she deserves to have 👌
A couple of minor tweaks can see it raised from the nominal 155 it came with (yes, 155BHP!) to well into the 300 range. I think that would suffice for me. There's people in the land of hopes and dreams running these in the high hundreds or into the 1000 hp range but which road in NI am I supposed to be able to use that exactly?! Even as standard it'll do a mean burnout, and driving it feels more like piloting a fishing boat than a car, so not too much more poke required.

Love to know how you find the time or remember half the stuff Will, interesting read on retro bud until you start using another recovery guy then I lost interest 😉.
Ach mate, sorry to offend your easily offended wee feelings there. :laughing::p I don't buy half the amount of cars I used to so I don't have enough jobs to share out between you all 8o|