The future of electricity cars!

Maranellohouse

RMS Regular
Drives
Italian
Mate from work just sent me this so I don’t think it’s set up, even if it is it gave me a chuckle. A diesel van, with a petrol generator charging an electricity car that’s ran out of electricity!
E0A26238-0BA4-4C3A-8521-36FEB27DDCBD.jpeg

Mark_C

RMS Regular
I am definitely going electric for my new job where I'll be commuting from near Annaghmore to Belfast. On Fridays the wife will be commuting to Bangor in it. Am actually looking forward to it! In the summer I plan to take the skyline or the MR2 on a Friday and in the winter I'm currently on the lookout for a Forester Sti as a Friday car.

Last edited:

BobSpounge

RMS Regular
Dependence on fossil fuel for the additional electricity generation required to charge vehicles Vs dependence on fossil fuel to power the internal combustion engine. Huge debate.

Renewables only go so far and storing renewable energy in batteries creates its own environmental problems with the production of all those batteries.

If and when they get nuclear right - other cooling technologies instead of depending on pumping water (it's out there and they're working on it). Reactors that produce little to no waste or can use depleted uranium as fuel like the project that Bill Gates is involved with. Then convince humanity that nuclear is safer and cleaner than it was before. Then build all those new nuclear facilities and a new distribution infrastructure that can take the additional load of millions of cars being charged. Then we might be ready for full electric vehicle's for the masses. Many decades away and probably not in my lifetime.

Then there's the damage to the environment producing the battery. They will hopefully improve on this with new technologies.

Back to today's world. Is diesel not a by product of refining oil to produce petroleum? Ban diesels - then we need more petroleum for our petrol or hybrid cars because we have no way of producing clean electricity or distributing it to charge all those cars which equals more dependence on petroleum which in turn produces more diesel by product that nobody wants?

Maybe we could build huge diesel engined power stations with massive DPF's to use all that waste diesel by product. Sure build one in Magerafelt and then get someone from Ballymena to gut and map out the DPF and add a popcorn limiter. At least it would entertain the young farmers.

Seriously though. I'm all for a cleaner environment and a better world for mother nature and our future generations but there's no simple solution the way things stand at the minute. Governments slabbering about banning this and that when they've no idea or vision of the alternative. They need to get their fingers out of their holes and invest in technology and infrastructure if the want a better world, it's not going to invent or build itself.

That's my view on it anyway but I do talk a lot of sheite.

Mark_C

RMS Regular
The UK already produces more power with renewables than nuclear and coal combined. Bit of a way to go to see off gas though.

They've been doing a great job with hydro electricity in Scotland since the early 1900s, not much hope of big hydro schemes over here!

Last edited:

Artoir

RMS Regular
Drives
V8/V6
Back to today's world. Is diesel not a by product of refining oil to produce petroleum? Ban diesels - then we need more petroleum for our petrol or hybrid cars because we have no way of producing clean electricity or distributing it to charge all those cars which equals more dependence on petroleum which in turn produces more diesel by product that nobody wants?

Fractional distillation bai! We back in GCSE chemistry now.

Maranellohouse

RMS Regular
OP
Maranellohouse
Drives
Italian
Hydrogen, already being proved it works, I truly believe its the only way forward. Watched a programe last night about NASA sending people to Mars in the next 30 years and the only way they can see to power the vehicles is by hydrogen, which they are currently developing.

trev 1515

RMS Regular
Drives
E39 M5 Evo ix
Did Honda not build a civic years ago that ran on hydrogen, just a normal car otherwise?

impact

RMS Regular
Drives
GT86
Sure you don't mean Honda Clarity?

It's been available to buy for the last couple of years if you have a hydrogen network near you.
Toyota pushing ahead with this big time too, especially on the big truck side in partnership with Kenworth.

trev 1515

RMS Regular
Drives
E39 M5 Evo ix
It was on top gear lol. But it made perfect sense. Obviously it would cost the like of bp billions which is why it’s not being used

trev 1515

RMS Regular
Drives
E39 M5 Evo ix

It's been available to buy for the last couple of years if you have a hydrogen network near you.
Toyota pushing ahead with this big time too, especially on the big truck side in partnership with Kenworth.

No this looked and drove like a 4 door civic, like fd2 shape.

Pumesta

RMS Regular
Drives
Focus_ST_3

Once electric cars become accepted and the norm, we will be told that hydrogen is the future and electric cars are killing the planet.

trev 1515

RMS Regular
Drives
E39 M5 Evo ix

Sorry your right.

impact

RMS Regular
Drives
GT86
BP and the other big energy companies are installing the hydrogen networks. BP is building a huge plant in Europe at the minute for hydrogen.

BEV, PHEV, HEV, MHEV and hydrogen will all grow together, they each do different things the others can't. Pure EV tech is simpler and cheaper for car design, hybrid better for range, hydrogen better for torque applications such as heavy vehicles.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
The problem with hydrogen has been the same for decades.

Storage, transfer, safety etc.

Cossers

RMS Regular
Drives
Some great reading in this thread, I’m thinking of something a bit more special next year but the thoughts of this tech and the push to want to make it harder for ice cars has made me think hard about how much I want to plough into a car, esp ones that I have seen rise over the last 5 odd years!

Will some of these cars that are appreciating in value sill be doing the same when the government possibly try and make it a lot more expensive to run an ice car?

At the minute It’s not that hard to have a few cars about you to run all at the one time, if the price doubled or trebles that little car collection could become one and the upshot could be the arse possibly falling out of the market when your forced to pick just one car.

impact

RMS Regular
Drives
GT86
The problem with hydrogen has been the same for decades.

Storage, transfer, safety etc.

Actually decades of research shows the opposite.

Safer than petrol, safer than aviation fuel, safer than batteries. If hydrogen escapes the fuel system it quickly disappates up and away as opposed to spilling around the source.

Extensively tested in skunk works days and by nasa showing that even when shot with an incendiary round a hydrogen tank is safer than convential fuel.
A Toyota Muiri tank is constructed so that it needs two armour piercing bullets fired at the exact same place before it will rupture and even then an explosion is unlikely. Even if one if forced to ignite its smaller than a petrol fire as the disappation is so quick.

trev 1515

RMS Regular
Drives
E39 M5 Evo ix
Some great reading in this thread, I’m thinking of something a bit more special next year but the thoughts of this tech and the push to want to make it harder for ice cars has made me think hard about how much I want to plough into a car, esp ones that I have seen rise over the last 5 odd years!

Will some of these cars that are appreciating in value sill be doing the same when the government possibly try and make it a lot more expensive to run an ice car?

At the minute It’s not that hard to have a few cars about you to run all at the one time, if the price doubled or trebles that little car collection could become one and the upshot could be the arse possibly falling out of the market when your forced to pick just one car.

It could also go the other way with the rise of electric cars, and cars that basically drive themselves petrol heads will still want their fix. Would could push up the price of older cars. Who knows

carmad.

RMS Regular
Drives
good old bird
the answer was here years ago and will resurface when the oil is gone

found dead shortly after

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Actually decades of research shows the opposite.

Safer than petrol, safer than aviation fuel, safer than batteries. If hydrogen escapes the fuel system it quickly disappates up and away as opposed to spilling around the source.

Extensively tested in skunk works days and by nasa showing that even when shot with an incendiary round a hydrogen tank is safer than convential fuel.
A Toyota Muiri tank is constructed so that it needs two armour piercing bullets fired at the exact same place before it will rupture and even then an explosion is unlikely. Even if one if forced to ignite its smaller than a petrol fire as the disappation is so quick.

If liquid hydrogen escapes from a vessel...I wouldnt want to be anywhere near it. Less so from a flammable risk...more so from a serious burns risk. And dissipates yes.....but it doesnt just pour out as such, because it will be stored under very high pressure...and a high pressure cylinder then has risks associated with it.

What NASA might be testing on, probably arent cheap/affordable stuff for cars ?

All fine under controlled circumstances etc. In every car/vehicle ? Not such a great idea, and I would also say neither are all those batteries, but time will tell on that one

The fact the Toyota Mirai tank is constructed as such....highlights the risks

But hydrogen is definitely a good option all round. Googling the above car though...even with all that technology, their current cell can only store 5kg of hydrogen, which they say 1kg is covering roughly same distance as 1 gallon of normal fuel.
Still a long way to go there. Not sure why the limitation of 5kg though, seems a very small amount.