The future of electricity cars!

Cossers

RMS Regular
Drives
It could also go the other way with the rise of electric cars, and cars that basically drive themselves petrol heads will still want their fix. Would could push up the price of older cars. Who knows

Didn’t think of it that way either mate, I’m not a young lad anymore but there doesn’t seem to be as many younger ones into cars nowadays, I could be wrong but it seems the real diehard petrol head seem to be middle aged and above, whole different set priorities nowadays, 1000 selfies a day in between tanning sessions rather than a torque wrench and a cuppa with half an engine spread out on the floor!

impact

RMS Regular
Drives
GT86
If liquid hydrogen escapes from a vessel...I wouldnt want to be anywhere near it. Less so from a flammable risk...more so from a serious burns risk. And dissipates yes.....but it doesnt just pour out as such, because it will be stored under very high pressure...and a high pressure cylinder then has risks associated with it.

What NASA might be testing on, probably arent cheap/affordable stuff for cars ?

All fine under controlled circumstances etc. In every car/vehicle ? Not such a great idea, and I would also say neither are all those batteries, but time will tell on that one

The fact the Toyota Mirai tank is constructed as such....highlights the risks

But hydrogen is definitely a good option all round. Googling the above car though...even with all that technology, their current cell can only store 5kg of hydrogen, which they say 1kg is covering roughly same distance as 1 gallon of normal fuel.
Still a long way to go there. Not sure why the limitation of 5kg though, seems a very small amount.

Well I'd say yes it's dangerous if it's stored in a half assed situation but the fact it's not means it's safe in the same way propane, oxy acetylene etc is also dangerous yet used perfectly safely everyday.
Hydrogen likely more so given the level of engineering that goes into the tank.

Here seems to give a good overview of the safety aspects.

Good article on hydrogen technology

New Kenworth with two Mirai fuel cells strapped together.

Original version vs equivalent diesel

Noel McQ

RMS Regular
Drives
Mazda 3 MPS
I have a Golf GTE as my work demo, fantastic car and really the only reason we drive them is because it keeps benefit in kind/fuel/tax costs down. But with 200+ bhp and GTI styling they really are great, shame Volkswagen quit making them and moved on to the E Golf.

Though I would imagine once an affordable fully electric car that can do 300 mile range comes out we will be moving into them anyway.

Chris666

RMS Regular
Drives
Often
Claims all over the place, a council produced this.

IMG_20190723_083838.jpg

IMG_20190722_124108.jpg

BobSpounge

RMS Regular
What's the second had market going to be like for electric cars? Reading the likes of this article and it looks like 8-10 years it's new or refurbished battery time at considerable expense.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
Sounds like most could be deemed scrap after that very short period, unless they were mega cheap to encourage people to buy them at their own risk.

$8500 for a battery replacement on a Leaf ? Would it even be worth $8500 before the battery is replaced ?

Gavlar

RMS Regular
How accurate is that though? Toyota hybrid battery replacements are more or less the same cost as a clutch/flywheel on modern dervs

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
How accurate is that though? Toyota hybrid battery replacements are more or less the same cost as a clutch/flywheel on modern dervs

Hybrids run a very small battery compared to a full electric vehicle...hence their 20-30 mile range. So you'd expect it to be say 1/10th the cost of one with a 2-300 mile range.
And if a Hybrid battery goes tits up...you still have that old faithful engine

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI

That'll be Toyota main dealer prices with a cappuccino and iced bun thrown in.

I'm sure a modern DERV would take a clutch, flywheel, DPF, cambelt or two and maybe a turbo within 10 years? How much would that be at the dealers?

Some do even better than turbos and just lunch the whole engine after hardly any mileage.

BobSpounge

RMS Regular

Hybrid batteries would be considerably smaller (and possibly different tech?) than 100% EV and as already said you can still use the engine in a hybrid so at least the car can be used.

I agree with you regarding the accuracy as there's no evidence that the Tesla's and BMW's mentioned will need new batteries after 8 years. Time will tell.

Imagine buying a four year old nissan leaf knowing that it needs a new battery in 4 years time and that it could be worthless without forking out a fortune to replace said battery.

Battery leasing will be a big thing I suppose and there will be companies popping up nationwide that recondition batteries at a fraction of the cost of the dealerships.

That'll be Toyota main dealer prices with a cappuccino and iced bun thrown in.

I'm sure a modern DERV would take a clutch, flywheel, DPF, cambelt or two and maybe a turbo within 10 years? How much would that be at the dealers?

Some do even better than turbos and just lunch the whole engine after hardly any mileage.

There may be less to go wrong compared to a modern diesel but motors and control modules etc will fail and I would guess it won't be cheap when they do.

impact

RMS Regular
Drives
GT86
Toyota have been doing hybrids for 20 years with now 10 million sold and half their cars sold in Europe now HEV.
Doesn't seem to have been a disaster.

On the reliability front I'd take one over a German oil burner.

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
There's old Prius taxis out there with well over 300k miles on them and they just keep going on the original battery. But it's old NiMh battery which apparently just keep cycling perfectly between 40-80% charge. Newer Li ion might not be as good, long term.
Ive just bought a PHEV outlander so fingers crossed it holds up for a few years. There's plenty of them with 120k plus and no issues.

stevieturbo

RMS Regular
Drives
Old Ford
There's old Prius taxis out there with well over 300k miles on them and they just keep going on the original battery. But it's old NiMh battery which apparently just keep cycling perfectly between 40-80% charge. Newer Li ion might not be as good, long term.
Ive just bought a PHEV outlander so fingers crossed it holds up for a few years. There's plenty of them with 120k plus and no issues.

yea...but how much do they actually use that battery ?

Any time I've seen a Prius on the road....the engine has been running. Which if it gets to that stage makes it utterly pointless, as not only is it torturing the hippies burning petrol, but it's lugging a load of dead weight around for no good reason along with it.

BobSpounge

RMS Regular
VW sales guy told me most hybrids sold here would never see a charge as they were company cars and only bought for BIK dodging lol.

Anyway. Back to pro's and cons of 100% EV's.