The Hamster on electric cars vs V8s

ahannigan

RMS Regular
Drives
Bullitt
The loudness and roar of a car hasn't always been associated with speed in the luxury car world anyway - look at the Bentleys for example, you can barely hear the W12.
Noise can definitely give the impression of speed though and help a car seem like it's sportier than it is; my 200 Clio was never particularly fast but my girlfriend used to hate it accelerating because it sounded loud and popped on the upshifts from the automatic box, giving a sense of speed (which she hates).
Having said that, everyone knows the acceleration of an electric car is something else anyway, and doesn't neccessarily need paired with sound.

I'll know I'll be pushed in to an electric eventually with the way the market and laws are moving - it's part of the reason I'm getting my big engine V8 driving in now while I can - and to be honest I'd happily have something like a Tesla today as I think they're a fantastic feat of engineering with a mixture of sports and luxury. If you're a daily driver most V8's really don't make sense anyway.
However, I would love to have the option of having a second car that is not electric. I do genuinely hope there still is somewhere in the future for taking a V8 on a nice weekend drive without the need to trailer it to a track.

Big Pimp

RMS Trader
Drives
like im late
having never owned a large engined V8, I have been lucky enough to be driving a brand new M850i for a week, and I have to say - there is something so aurally pleasing about the growl and rumble of the 4.4litre twin turbocharged V8 and the pops and bangs on overrun that all the silent instant torque in the world of an electric, or the rumble of my M50d cannot replicate ever.

Whilst I can see myself moving to the EV side in years to come, I'd love to have a petrol V8 (or more!) as a weekend car.

There is just something about the noise that can't be beaten

jferg

RMS Regular
having never owned a large engined V8, I have been lucky enough to be driving a brand new M850i for a week, and I have to say - there is something so aurally pleasing about the growl and rumble of the 4.4litre twin turbocharged V8 and the pops and bangs on overrun that all the silent instant torque in the world of an electric, or the rumble of my M50d cannot replicate ever.

Whilst I can see myself moving to the EV side in years to come, I'd love to have a petrol V8 (or more!) as a weekend car.

All I read was oral, u pervert šŸ˜‚

quattro Rick

RMS Regular
Drives
quattro / M796

That would shoehorn nicely into that tidy E46 you've just landed šŸ˜