The Land Rover/ Range Rover appreciation thread

Mr.Mint

RMS Regular
Drives
Many Things.
Well **** this caper,

Got round to doing the gearbox oil change, started out well, got the filler undone, then drained the oil out, no dramas

went to slacken the 10mm pan bolts, 15/21 of the, slackened no problem, the others, welll someone has either cross threaded them or used an airwrench to tighten them, they should only be 10nm for **** sake.

I used my big 1/2 ratchet on one of them, going as slowly and easy as I could to not put any stress on the bolt, but nope, ping ******* thing sheared off, so now im left with 5 in and one sheared, going to have to wait for my step dad to come round and drill them out and retap them, ******* ******* of a thing

Horrible thing to happen and I'm sure you would love to get your hands on the delinquent that tightened them beforehand!

Daviddunlop83

RMS Regular
BLRC have very reasonable labour rates for future notice 😂

Was there myself yesterday lol

I just picked this up last week

4.4L V8 Autobiography

Going into Pete on Friday for Ceramica coating

C74FDEFA-5C92-4D0D-AB60-7AF84D283D34.jpeg

Daviddunlop83

RMS Regular
That’s lovely! @Daviddunlop83
How are you finding it after one week?
I’d like to move into one that shape in the next couple of years.

Fantastic so far. So glad I went for the V8 (although Wallet might not) It came with loads extras I didn’t even realise like TV etc

Small issue with the park brake but it’s under warranty with the dealer.

Nickyyy

RMS Regular
OP
Nickyyy
Drives
RS6 / DC2
Well that’s the gearbox oil Done.
Was able to get the bolt drilled and tapped. Then the threads had stripped on another hole but was lucky could get a nut on the end of a slightly longer bolt.

All torqued up to spec and then the gearbox filled. I thought I had over filled it as I thought I was a good 6 litres in after letting it warm up to around 35-45c but kept going and eventually it started to trickle out the fill hole

really glad I did it using the proper Texaco 7045E oil too. Now it’s hard to tell if the car changed gear it’s very smooth on every gear change. Result! And now I’m not worrying about the gearbox giving up any time soon due to crap oil at least

Nicky

RMS Regular
Drives
HiluxSurf
Well that’s the gearbox oil Done.
Was able to get the bolt drilled and tapped. Then the threads had stripped on another hole but was lucky could get a nut on the end of a slightly longer bolt.

All torqued up to spec and then the gearbox filled. I thought I had over filled it as I thought I was a good 6 litres in after letting it warm up to around 35-45c but kept going and eventually it started to trickle out the fill hole

really glad I did it using the proper Texaco 7045E oil too. Now it’s hard to tell if the car changed gear it’s very smooth on every gear change. Result! And now I’m not worrying about the gearbox giving up any time soon due to crap oil at least

Did you reset the adaptations with diagnostics?

bigZ

RMS Regular
After two plus years of ownership the discobus gave me the dreaded bing sound and orange suspension warning light.

Everything seemed to be working fine with the suspension so put it on the i930 and got this.

35A4D710-2791-4A4C-AE98-CCD46B4967DF.jpeg

74DCDF25-7F27-4AC7-A9FD-9E5B505BCDE1.jpeg

A phone call later to Marty at beyond 4x4 and was told to leave it in on the way home for a proper diagnosis on their machine.

Turns out my wee i930 was spot on...the compressor had shat itself. Price given, part ordered and fitted next day and collected on the way home from work.

Out of interest I gave BLRC a call to compare prices, both prices were in the same ball park, but they have a three week wait to get it booked in!

Nickyyy

RMS Regular
OP
Nickyyy
Drives
RS6 / DC2
After two plus years of ownership the discobus gave me the dreaded bing sound and orange suspension warning light.

Everything seemed to be working fine with the suspension so put it on the i930 and got this.

View attachment 299706
View attachment 299715

A phone call later to Marty at beyond 4x4 and was told to leave it in on the way home for a proper diagnosis on their machine.

Turns out my wee i930 was spot on...the compressor had shat itself. Price given, part ordered and fitted next day and collected on the way home from work.

Out of interest I gave BLRC a call to compare prices, both prices were in the same ball park, but they have a three week wait to get it booked in!

How much do they charge for labour out of interest? PM me if you like, cheers!

Glad its sorted, should be for a few more years of happy motoring!

Mr.Mint

RMS Regular
Drives
Many Things.
Anyone know much about the 4.0 V8 Petrol that was in the P38's? There is one for sale that is in pretty good nick and running well with 140k on it.

Suspension is working well and all in all, it seems to have been well cared for, but it's been off the road from 2013 (I don't know why) and I just wondered if there is anything else I should be looking out for?

Daviddunlop83

RMS Regular

View attachment 299706
View attachment 299715

Yeah BLRC seems to be really busy at the minute

ChrisL

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi S3 (8V)
Guy on the owners forum had to change his chain guides on his BMW era 4.4 v8 vogue ... 3000 he was quoted... thankfully he's on 160k and I'm 70k lol

I've found two great resources in my area

Mechanic for it JK Autos
Diagnostics and coding Jeremy Cowan in Carrickfergus - sorted all my air suspension and has the genuine software used throughout all eras. If anyone needs any work done from P38 to L405 let me know and I'll pass the numbers over

bigZ

RMS Regular
Last time I used BLRC I was given the keys to a wee silver focus as a courtesy car...which was automatic. Till that point I’d never piloted an automatic car, let’s just say it was a sharp learning curve!
It even took me 10 minutes to get the key out of the ignition when I got it home. I put the handbrake on and put it to neutral and wrestled with the ignition key...felt like a di@k when google told me it needs to go into park before the key can be removed!

swansty

RMS Regular
Drives
Disco and Saxo
Last time I used BLRC I was given the keys to a wee silver focus as a courtesy car...which was automatic. Till that point I’d never piloted an automatic car, let’s just say it was a sharp learning curve!
It even took me 10 minutes to get the key out of the ignition when I got it home. I put the handbrake on and put it to neutral and wrestled with the ignition key...felt like a di@k when google told me it needs to go into park before the key can be removed!
I usually get a freelander. Think the mondeo has been retired... the interior needed a hazmat suit 🤢

bigZ

RMS Regular
The focus wasn’t much better, it even came with 11 miles worth of petrol...I didn’t think I was gonna make the petrol station!

gav525

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
Still being flogged to death 14k miles later and hasn't failed yet, apart from starter motor needing refurbed. Is across the fields as much as its on the roads.

Touch wood. Touch lots of wood! Pray to the Range Rover gods also! Only thing that will replace it at the minute is an SVR. Next year hopefully.

20201111_123832.jpg

mk2driver

RMS Regular
Drives
Impreza Type RA
I’m pretty sure it means no GPS signal - try plotting a route when it’s on to see what happens

Is it while it’s in a garage?

ChrisL

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi S3 (8V)
No its always been on. The satnav is working fine.

Ill try it again later.

Its the GPS symbol, highlighting that it thinks GPS isnt conencted/working. Found a similar case online which pointed to a software issue

Issue: A customer may report that the Global Positioning System (GPS) icon has a strike through line across it, when navigation is selected. In addition the current vehicle location indicator will not lock onto the correct location on the map.

Cause: Software Error.

Action: If the concern is present during investigation, disconnect the battery for a period of 30 seconds and then re-connect. If the concern is rectified return the vehicle to the customer, if the fault is still present continue with diagnosis using Symptom Driven Diagnostics and with reference to the TOPlx Workshop Manual.

Daviddunlop83

RMS Regular
Its the GPS symbol, highlighting that it thinks GPS isnt conencted/working. Found a similar case online which pointed to a software issue

Issue: A customer may report that the Global Positioning System (GPS) icon has a strike through line across it, when navigation is selected. In addition the current vehicle location indicator will not lock onto the correct location on the map.

Cause: Software Error.

Action: If the concern is present during investigation, disconnect the battery for a period of 30 seconds and then re-connect. If the concern is rectified return the vehicle to the customer, if the fault is still present continue with diagnosis using Symptom Driven Diagnostics and with reference to the TOPlx Workshop Manual.

Thanks.

First option, the good old reset. That would be handy :grinning:

Is there anything i need to worry about disconnecting the battery? Do i need a radio code etc? I got a user manual with the car but it wasn't in the car, they went and got it from another they had in stock so no code in it.