The Land Rover/ Range Rover appreciation thread

Jbridges522

RMS Regular
Drives
986 & RR
Some updates from the fold, I think my trusty 85 defender 200tdi is sold pending deposit. Been a while since I cut it out of a hedge and spent a few hours on it.

View attachment 374791

View attachment 374792View attachment 374793

The new owner has some plans for a cummins conversion and a soft top for her. (I might make a thread on it ill see)

It now raises some questions what to get to replace it. Ive been slumming it in a borrowed 16 D4 graphite that came in for some work and the owner let me borrow it, which tbh ive become quite attached to the 8 speed is a game changer I dont think I could go back to the 6 speed.
Since my time borrowing it ive done a prop, gear selector and a manifold, I do enjoy driving it but the thought of doing another crank in one is there.

View attachment 374794

My only other option is like a 2011-12 L322 4.4 I do like a V8 and they are alot cheaper than the D4 but they look a little more dated to me and the infotainment would need upgrades to match the D4.

Thoughts opinions anything else I should be thinking about.

Cheers,
Ged
D4's have really come of age, potentially the best looking LR atm for me. Would still choose a nice 4.4 l322 though tbf. Other than that a middle shape Cayenne is the only other thing that would really get my attention.

redxl77

RMS Regular
I think I know the family that own it going off the plate. I could be wrong, but think it was originally owned by someone on here? Maybe someone who worked for LR

Edit: charles hurst land rover parts and service bling bus

Nice thread that... An old style Defender as a company car... How times have changed from what seems like not too long ago!

L322 may look dated too some, but a 'classic' design to others.

Eddies

RMS Regular
Drives
Really well
Back from the lro show.
Its a defender show no getting away from it. But my god what an event. Probably my first proper car related show over the water and what an event. The show itself was huge spend Friday evening, all day Saturday also managed about 2 hours on Sunday.

The clubs came from all over from to have a stand at it, the events in the arena was brilliant and they had an off road event a few mile away. When you see nothing but defenders queuing into the event for 8 sold hours on one day its a sight to see.
People from Holland, Germany and France all drove over for it.

I couldn't recommend it enough. I've no interest in defenders well didn't but as a car related event it was superb.

I can't upload direct photos as the size is limited here but few edited ones.

There was something for everyone defenders all models the 101s, forward control and overlanders are monsters on their own. The light weight versions just seem an absolute laugh and the race models just seem epic fun.

Strange automotive seem to be amining at the younger crowd and make some nice changes.

Have loads of photos but anyone with a defender its definitely the show to go to. With all the stands for extras, enough parts to build one and part stands you could pick any part you could think of.
Screenshot_20220913-195952_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20220913-195908_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20220913-195816_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20220913-195754_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20220913-195733_Gallery.jpg

issued in NI in 1988
Screenshot_20220913-195649_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20220913-195706_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20220913-195633_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20220913-195535_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20220913-195541_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20220913-195929_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20220913-195524_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20220911-215019_Instagram.jpg
Screenshot_20220911-215157_Instagram.jpg

This one really was amazing, couldn't get empty photos any time but completely nut and bolt restored, auto conversion everything immaculate and the body work to look aged.
Screenshot_20220913-195554_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20220913-195601_Gallery.jpg
Screenshot_20220913-195606_Gallery.jpg

The road presence this had
Screenshot_20220913-195711_Gallery.jpg

Eddies

RMS Regular
Drives
Really well
I've probably butchered trying to summarise it.

Need to work out the videos to get the v8 lightweight ones in the arena up.

KevM

RMS Regular
I never ever thought I would be posting in here... 🙈 Lol

For years now, any time we were considering changing the family car, my wife always asked if we could get an Evoque. I always shut the idea down very quickly - I just didn't see the appeal in them, and most that I had sold in work, seemed to need speaker covers replaced, door locks replaced & they seemed to be horrific on diesel.

When the COVID car shortage kicked in, I ended up selling my own company car as we were getting fairly low on stock, and we couldn't replace it. The only thing that was taxed, was the HR managers old Evoque, which had a reputation in work for 20-odd mpg... The first night I took it home, I realised the tyres were all under inflated, so topped them up & started seeing 40mpg on the commute, which was fine. & Of course, the Mrs was all over it, wanting me to buy it for her. I made the mistake of letting her drive it too (I really shouldn't have did that - lol). The answer was still a no from me, but as I spent time driving the car, my dislike for them started to soften. Despite all the flaws, it drove pretty-damn well. It was a nice, comfy place to sit too, whilst going to & from work. That particular car, sold too & I thought nothing more of it.
Except every time R Kings had a damn Evoque on, my wife was telling me she was going to buy tickets 😩

A few months later & a mk2 Evoque arrived into stock. It looked good from afar, but I paid little attention until one of our drivers borrowed it to collect parts & mentioned how well it drove. In my head, the mk2 was a facelifted MK1, until I googled it, to find it was new from the ground up. Mechanically similar with the 2 litre diesel - 9 speed auto, but they seemed to be a mild Hybrid now too. So, I started to get curious.....

I took it for a quick drive myself & to be fair, it felt better than the MK1 which I had grown to like anyway! But the annoying bits were gone. The 90's switch gear & squeaky plastic centre console were gone! The suspension had been tuned to almost give that great airbag float that the Sport & full-fat have. I liked it & quite liked the look of the full murdered out black, with black, & a black pack too, it's slightly less feminine lol. The wheelbase is now longer, even though the car is virtually the same length as the old one, so its got a bit more space in the interior, but some how feels a lot bigger than it is. It's really quiet in there too. If you have the radio on, you can't really hear the engine at all. Just a faint hum from the tyres. If you gun it, you'll hear the engine rattling away, but it doesn't suit that driving style. Quite wafty for a wee jeep. A few bits here and there still feel like they might fall off, but the main driver contact points all feel top notch! I'm impressed.

So, I ran a few quotes, had a bit of COVID equity in our own car, it worked out a good deal & the Mrs got her RR Evoque in the end (I just hope it doesn't break - lol).

I took the kids for a drive last night, we headed for Newcastle & it managed 55.8 mpg on the way. So far, so good! 😆

PXL_20220910_085440390.jpg

PXL_20220910_085519555.jpg PXL_20220910_090220861.jpg
PXL_20220910_085538464.jpg PXL_20220910_085615454.jpg

Last edited:

NickR

RMS Regular
Drives
A6/E39 530i
My wife always comments on Evoques as well. The mk2 definitely looks the part. What is the rear seat space and boot like? I assume its similar in size inside to an Ateca/Tiguan?

KevM

RMS Regular
Surprisingly, the kids have more legroom in this, than what they had in our A4 Avant.
Boot isn't wonderful but more than enough for what we'll ever need & although the Tiguan boot is really disappointing, I think the VW would have more space.

gav525

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
Will be spending a bit more time in this thread again......Range Rover number 2 being collected next week. Just love them and the Cayenne, as good as it is in its own way, will never be a comfy cruiser like the RR was.

Hope this one doesn't end up in a field on its side just 😂

gav525

RMS Regular
Drives
Anything
Did you go for the supercharged 5.0? They really are hard to beat

I'd have loved one, but getting one in the colour/spec with the right miles/history/options was proving impossible. Well, impossible in the short time I have before I head away to work for a couple of months.

So as much as it pains me, I'm going with the SDV8 😭 Will be wretching as I fill it up with the devil's fuel for the first time!

From watching and reading reviews it seems to be a torquey enough engine, and some say suited to the RR so we'll see. There's a good warranty on it to cover turbos, EGRs and everything else that will fail lol

Jbridges522

RMS Regular
Drives
986 & RR
Help / advice needed. What is the engine in these like? Seems very cheap.

2001 Land Rover Range Rover 4.6 Vogue 4dr Auto | Used Cars NI
Tbh id say that is quite expensive with the miles, I’ve been convincing myself not to go look at the below 4.0. Tbh I don’t know a hige pile about the engines bar that they can give issues from the brief bit of research I did before buying ours the 4.6 is a bored out 4.0 so the 4.0 tends to be the more reliable (could be complete balls), but our 4.0 was a great engine and so well matched to the auto box, to this day its my favorite automatic and that includes dsg etc.

Electrical issues is the p38’s killer the later ones with the bosch electrics tend to be less troublesome, but ours was the earlier ones and it was pretty crazy at times 😂 not uncommon to have to use the key number sequence to get in. Having said that a strong battery and regular use kept it running 100%.

Only car I regret selling, bought for £800, dug me out of a whole when the type r blew up, drove it every day, to wales and back loaded with bikes and people and probs about 10k in less than a year and never skipped a beat.

Will be spending a bit more time in this thread again......Range Rover number 2 being collected next week. Just love them and the Cayenne, as good as it is in its own way, will never be a comfy cruiser like the RR was.

Hope this one doesn't end up in a field on its side just 😂
As amazing as the cayenne is I 100% know what u mean, nothing like them htd.

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos
I'd have loved one, but getting one in the colour/spec with the right miles/history/options was proving impossible. Well, impossible in the short time I have before I head away to work for a couple of months.

So as much as it pains me, I'm going with the SDV8 😭 Will be wretching as I fill it up with the devil's fuel for the first time!

From watching and reading reviews it seems to be a torquey enough engine, and some say suited to the RR so we'll see. There's a good warranty on it to cover turbos, EGRs and everything else that will fail lol

The tdv8s really suit them, butter smooth and a bag of torque. A Range Rover really is a magical thing

MarkP

RMS Regular
Drives
zafira :-(
I never ever thought I would be posting in here... 🙈 Lol

For years now, any time we were considering changing the family car, my wife always asked if we could get an Evoque. I always shut the idea down very quickly - I just didn't see the appeal in them, and most that I had sold in work, seemed to need speaker covers replaced, door locks replaced & they seemed to be horrific on diesel.

When the COVID car shortage kicked in, I ended up selling my own company car as we were getting fairly low on stock, and we couldn't replace it. The only thing that was taxed, was the HR managers old Evoque, which had a reputation in work for 20-odd mpg... The first night I took it home, I realised the tyres were all under inflated, so topped them up & started seeing 40mpg on the commute, which was fine. & Of course, the Mrs was all over it, wanting me to buy it for her. I made the mistake of letting her drive it too (I really shouldn't have did that - lol). The answer was still a no from me, but as I spent time driving the car, my dislike for them started to soften. Despite all the flaws, it drove pretty-damn well. It was a nice, comfy place to sit too, whilst going to & from work. That particular car, sold too & I thought nothing more of it.
Except every time R Kings had a damn Evoque on, my wife was telling me she was going to buy tickets 😩

A few months later & a mk2 Evoque arrived into stock. It looked good from afar, but I paid little attention until one of our drivers borrowed it to collect parts & mentioned how well it drove. In my head, the mk2 was a facelifted MK1, until I googled it, to find it was new from the ground up. Mechanically similar with the 2 litre diesel - 9 speed auto, but they seemed to be a mild Hybrid now too. So, I started to get curious.....

I took it for a quick drive myself & to be fair, it felt better than the MK1 which I had grown to like anyway! But the annoying bits were gone. The 90's switch gear & squeaky plastic centre console were gone! The suspension had been tuned to almost give that great airbag float that the Sport & full-fat have. I liked it & quite liked the look of the full murdered out black, with black, & a black pack too, it's slightly less feminine lol. The wheelbase is now longer, even though the car is virtually the same length as the old one, so its got a bit more space in the interior, but some how feels a lot bigger than it is. It's really quiet in there too. If you have the radio on, you can't really hear the engine at all. Just a faint hum from the tyres. If you gun it, you'll hear the engine rattling away, but it doesn't suit that driving style. Quite wafty for a wee jeep. A few bits here and there still feel like they might fall off, but the main driver contact points all feel top notch! I'm impressed.

So, I ran a few quotes, had a bit of COVID equity in our own car, it worked out a good deal & the Mrs got her RR Evoque in the end (I just hope it doesn't break - lol).

I took the kids for a drive last night, we headed for Newcastle & it managed 55.8 mpg on the way. So far, so good! 😆

View attachment 375321

View attachment 375320 View attachment 375319
View attachment 375323 View attachment 375318

Now I'm going out to check the tyre pressures on my X5 😆

collyirwin11

RMS Regular
Drives
RS/Mk2 GTi
4421EEB4-3A32-4EF5-A82C-CD1DF6BFE650.jpeg

Borrowed my parents touring van for a few days and put the Discovery to work, headed for the North Coast. Easy peasy, towed so well and its the first time it had ever had its towbar fitted. I can see why folk love them for this. Returned mid 20’s, roughly 26-27mpg which I was impressed with.

Boydie

RMS Regular
Drives
S3 Revo