The Land Rover/ Range Rover appreciation thread

Daviddunlop83

RMS Regular
Mine has now developed a creaking/clicking noise from the steering. Can hear it clearly when stationary lock to lock 😩

any ideas?

saxo_man

RMS Regular
Update on the defender I ordered: dealer has been good at keeping me updated, and got a call today advising that the shortage of parts has now affected the dash. The digital dash that was standard on the SE is no longer available. Option 1) to downgrade to the analogue display and get the car on schedule in 10 weeks time or 2) to wait for the digital dash, go back into the holding pool, and expect a further wait of 14-18 months. My build should be prioritised but currently LR are unable to give any idea of a delivery date, and the information to the dealer advises the customer to expect ‘significant delays’.

Not sure what to do now.

Christopher

RMS Regular
Drives
Skyline GTR
Update on the defender I ordered: dealer has been good at keeping me updated, and got a call today advising that the shortage of parts has now affected the dash. The digital dash that was standard on the SE is no longer available. Option 1) to downgrade to the analogue display and get the car on schedule in 10 weeks time or 2) to wait for the digital dash, go back into the holding pool, and expect a further wait of 14-18 months. My build should be prioritised but currently LR are unable to give any idea of a delivery date, and the information to the dealer advises the customer to expect ‘significant delays’.

Not sure what to do now.

:neutral::neutral::neutral: thats a huge delay! i wouldn't be one bit happy with that! if your happy to downgrade then so be it, otherwise personally i would cancel!

Dave..

RMS Regular
That is wild Adam. I wouldn’t be happy having to downgrade. Is there nothing else you like? If it was me I would cancel. Good luck with whatever you choose.

mk2driver

RMS Regular
Drives
Impreza Type RA
The whole industry is suffering so unless you happen to find something in stock somewhere there will be a long wait for anything. Also very few discounts around due to the shortage of stock

In your position I would take the analogue dash - having driven both it wouldn’t be an issue for me

davyk31

RMS Regular
Knowing it should have had a digital dash and getting the more basic looking analogue would annoy me for sure. Enough to cancel? Maybe yes, certainly would cancel if the wait for another was reasonable but over a year is crazy.
What I would do is take this one and also order another for a year or more away. If demand remains strong then residual values will be strong as anything with a long wait holds its value. You should then be able to swap in a year for not a lot of money or if come near that time you are happy with what you have then just cancel or take delivery and sell if that seems financially viable.

mk2driver

RMS Regular
Drives
Impreza Type RA
It depends how much you value the digital dash really

The lead times are something that aren’t going to change anytime soon

I had a Defender on order as my additional management car but got asked to consider something else due to the lead time and the customer demand

I was incredibly lucky to get a slot for a Range Rover Sport in September but that was just luck from a cancelled order

Boksic

RMS Regular
So has a sleep on it and have decided to do as @davyk31 has suggested. Take this one and order another one for next year and see how things go.

Can you work something out with the dealer to have the dash replaced with the digital one once they become readily available again? Assuming it's only the clocks area and not a whole other dash?
Even if you could negotiate that you only paid the labour or something it might make it what you actually wanted in however many months time?

bigZ

RMS Regular
I’ll be in the market for a used defender when the boats sold. From a buyers perspective I wouldn’t even consider an analogue dash on such a new vehicle when the time comes.

If I was in your shoes the order would be cancelled and something like this would be sitting on my driveway next week.

E4A703F6-FCAA-4A83-B330-CAC94A808894.png

saxo_man

RMS Regular
I’ll be in the market for a used defender when the boats sold. From a buyers perspective I wouldn’t even consider an analogue dash on such a new vehicle when the time comes.

If I was in your shoes the order would be cancelled and something like this would be sitting on my driveway next week.

View attachment 332960
Without starting a debate, and obviously it appeals to some, but in my eyes that is really horrible inside and out.

I’m literally sitting looking at one in the flesh right now.
1B7DD5A6-8FCD-4AC0-BFCB-4C071E873C27.jpeg

It’s not an full analogue dash, has the nav etc in the centre. 100% would prefer the full digital display, but it’s certainly not a deal breaker. I didn’t originally spec the digital dash anyway.

A0D53248-5D83-4C88-83A4-CD7FAC69BAC4.jpeg

gary1365

RMS Regular
Drives
Great news
I never had one but I don’t think I’d like a full digital dash. I like an analogue Rev counter and speedo with the centre display.

VinR

RMS Regular
Drives
E90 330d
Im looking at discovery's at the moment, from reading through this thread the 2.7 seems the better option.

What do you think of this one.

Mr.Mint

RMS Regular
Drives
Many Things.
Im looking at discovery's at the moment, from reading through this thread the 2.7 seems the better option.

Like any LR Product, you just need to take a chance and see how it goes. Get as much warranty as you can and hope for the best.

Jbridges522

RMS Regular
Drives
986 & RR

Id me looking one with a gd service history, i was told by a mechanic that worked on loads of them that they were grand as long as they were well serviced.

Or go for a cheap one and can alway get an engine out of an owl jag if it goes pop

VinR

RMS Regular
Drives
E90 330d
Like any LR Product, you just need to take a chance and see how it goes. Get as much warranty as you can and hope for the best.

I wouldn't think there will be much of a warranty on that age of car. Would there? On an 08,09,10.

Id me looking one with a gd service history, i was told by a mechanic that worked on loads of them that they were grand as long as they were well serviced.

Or go for a cheap one and can alway get an engine out of an owl jag if it goes pop
Same as everything I guess.

Mr.Mint

RMS Regular
Drives
Many Things.
I wouldn't think there will be much of a warranty on that age of car. Would there? On an 08,09,10.

Same as everything I guess.

If it's a dealer there should be 3 months and you might be able to extend it. The level of cover might depend on the age granted.

swansty

RMS Regular
Drives
Disco and Saxo

Drive both and see what you think but I reckon you would be hard pushed to look past the later D4 with the 3.0TDV6. Reliability wise there is little difference but the extra 50+ Bhp and the torque makes all the difference.
Servicing wise, obv the more the better but good servicing doesn’t seem to mitigate the engine failure.
That’s one you linked has been tarted up a bit with later wheels and chrome trim etc. not my bag but all reversible. Check under those side steps- they rust themselves but they also make the sill rot.

VinR

RMS Regular
Drives
E90 330d
Drive both and see what you think but I reckon you would be hard pushed to look past the later D4 with the 3.0TDV6. Reliability wise there is little difference but the extra 50+ Bhp and the torque makes all the difference.
Servicing wise, obv the more the better but good servicing doesn’t seem to mitigate the engine failure.
That’s one you linked has been tarted up a bit with later wheels and chrome trim etc. not my bag but all reversible. Check under those side steps- they rust themselves but they also make the sill rot.

Thanks for the info 👍, off to look at d4's now.

VinR

RMS Regular
Drives
E90 330d
Plenty d4's to choose from over the water. Doing as much reading on specs as I can. Xs Gs Hse

Examples of what I like the look of:

swansty

RMS Regular
Drives
Disco and Saxo
Plenty d4's to choose from over the water. Doing as much reading on specs as I can. Xs Gs Hse

Examples of what I like the look of:

Gs is base spec, early ones could still have the 2.7engine as it remained an option. Xs middle spec and then hse top spec. Early ones may or may not have the dpf as it was optional. One less thing to go wrong if it doesn’t have it

Jbridges522

RMS Regular
Drives
986 & RR
If going for a 4 what's the thoughts on the SDV6? thought of as the best engine I thought