the magic of building your own camper

Eddy Lammens

RMS Member
Drives
campervan
In the past year I converted a Fiat Ducato L2H2 (2015) into a camper and I recorded the entire process in a website:

I was inspired by an older Fiat Ducato (2005) that has an Adria Win interior. I have made everything much more convenient and practical and I am very satisfied with it. I would like to share it with you.

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
Welcome along, I'd like a camper of some sort myself at some point in the future and building one also appeals maybe. I still want to rent one as the wife isn't as keen as me on the idea of a camper so I want to test the theory and see if we can work with it together.

I'll give your site a read to get a bit more information.

dartagnan

RMS Regular
Drives
Audi Q7
A very impressive website. I see you reference Greg Virgo, I followed his van build and I even believed I could do similar but then I returned to the rea worldšŸ˜‚

FM155

RMS Regular
Drives
Alfa 155
I've taken a look at your website and you camper looks great. My wife jokes that she wants a huge RV style thing but given that I'd want to travel in fairly remote areas with tiny roads, I want something that I can point down the smallest roads without worrying about getting stuck and not being able to turn etc. A lot of car parks down south also have 1.8 or 2m height restrictions. I'm thinking of a SWB van and a pop top but I'm also nervous that it'll be too small.

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
I've taken a look at your website and you camper looks great. My wife jokes that she wants a huge RV style thing but given that I'd want to travel in fairly remote areas with tiny roads, I want something that I can point down the smallest roads without worrying about getting stuck and not being able to turn etc. A lot of car parks down south also have 1.8 or 2m height restrictions. I'm thinking of a SWB van and a pop top but I'm also nervous that it'll be too small.

We have been vanning down south off and on for 15 years and to me it seems like there are actually less height barriers than there used to be. We had a Hiace poptop back then and it was too tall for the barriers, so not much advantage over the motorhome we have now.
Some councils are getting tougher with random overnight stops at beach carparks and tourist areas, but they are building euro-style Aires here and there, some of which are for self-contained (water/waste/shower) vans only. I think this will be getting more common in the future, so a campervan will be less of an advantage over a motorhome, unless you go to campsites. Biggest problem I find in the last few years is the sheer number of vans out there and trying to find a space to stop over in the summer.