The (sort of...) Jap scrap (sort of...) sensible turnip garage

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
Went Cairnryan via Yorkshire to Cambridge. Then overnight Harwich to Amsterdam as I knew there's no messing about and nobody checks anything, lol.

Down through Holland and Belgium, wee detour along the Meuse in the Ardennes, stopover about halfway down through France just before Dijon. Then to Provence.

Few days in Signes in Provence for the comp. Which just happens to be at the southern end of the St Baume region of wineries, olive groves, mountains, and spectacular classic rally and hill climb stages. Of which I knew nothing at all until I got there, lol - sometimes things just sort of work out by themselves :innocent:

Then instead of two days of motorways back I went west to Pau of tdf fame, in the foothills of the Pyrénées.

Then a day off gloriously epic amazing fun across the Pyrénées into Navarre and over to Basque Country. Boat from Santander to Portsmouth and on to Cambridge again.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
😊

IMG-20220523-WA0000.jpg

IMG-20220523-WA0002.jpg

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
I'm mighty proud this morning (sorry, been watching too much Firefly recently 😅 ), but I actually managed to fix something myself at the weekend!

Got the wee Volvo out on Saturday. New aircon compressor, gear cables sorted (I hope, lol), new oil seals for the turbo oil feeds, and a few other bits and bobs done. All good and then the driver's door wouldn't open from the inside 🙈 Turned out to be a wee connecting rod which had fallen out. It's supposed to be held in by a wee plastic grommet kind of thing but that was long gone. Apparently this is not uncommon with these cars. And those parts are no longer available, obviously. But a couple of cable ties later and it was all working again. And only lost two tools down the inside of the door 😅 🤫

Anyone taking bets on how long this will last?

P1220115.JPG

P1220124.JPG

P1220132.JPG

A pita getting in there, and once I was done I realised the rod was the wrong way round. Couldn't face redoing it all again so I left the wee plastic cover at the back of the lock unclipped at that end and then it all worked just fine. Will do until it falls out again.

Then I managed to get my hands on a brand new manual wood gear knob. They are ultra rare, obviously long out of production, and were only ever used on the T-5R model in 1995. They were never used on any other Volvo. The old one was worn and the lacquer cracked. I did get it tidied up well enough using wax fillers and shellac polish, but then it turned out somebody had one lying in a drawer, brand new in box, and it came up on auction in Sweden!

Nerve wracking to get it in, but it's there and it's lovely and life is good 😁

P1220176.JPG

P1220191.JPG

P1220193.JPG

With the door card out I also replaced the bucket around the interior door handle. It was actually pretty good but had an annoying wee crack on it, and I happened to have a new one in the parts bin.

Old:
P1220136.JPG

New:
P1220143.JPG

Was out and about at the weekend, just enjoying the sun and the countryside. This car is like a black powder shotgun - a slightly slower burn, but oh so very, very satisfying!

P1210997.JPG

P1220150.JPG

P1220046.JPG

Mitsi got a blast through Wales on the last leg back to Belfast. Because, well - just because, lol. She likes Wales!

P1210834.JPG

P1210840.JPG

P1210908.JPG

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
The little mechanic actually fixed something again, turnip style 😁 Jonny still insists he'll make a mechanic of me, lol, eternal optimist so he is 😇

First off, fuel leak on the Hondus, at the connector to the rail. Pulled it all apart and couldn't see anything obviously wrong. Cut off the bit where the jubilee clip had been and reassembled. Seems ok now. Presumably the hose had been pinched or something over the years under that clip.

20220603_120430.jpg

Then the boost gauge on the 850 stopped working the other day. Yes, they have a boost gauge in the instrument cluster, marked "turbo" - got to love the nineties 😎 It takes a feed from the "vacuum tree" on the manifold, under the throttle body, and connects to the "tree" via a rubber elbow. Which was literally falling apart.

The little offender:
20220603_120735.jpg

Happened to have a bit of garden hose that just happened to be the perfect size. Job done, lol. Anyone taking bets how long it will last 😅😇

20220603_120704.jpg

That's the garden hose at the top there, connecting the pipe up to the "vacuum tree".

There are millions of those wee rubber elbows throughout the vacuum system. Add to the list: hunt down and replace them all!

Just another day in old car land, lol.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
I think I'll stay in the day job a little longer 😅

But the boost gauge works again, idling as she should now too. And the Hondus didn't catch fire on a lap of my local test track.

I call that success 😁

Oh, and this happened! Very shiny! Just collected, looks even more amazing now :cool:🥰

IMG-20220602-WA0000.jpg

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
Back in 1995 the 850 estate was the biggest Volvo you could buy. Pretty much the biggest car you could buy, full stop.

Not any more! Emma is barely any bigger than a modern 3/4-series. I have lost her in car parks between modern hatches and crossovers. No joke!

She's much bigger on the inside though, like a cavern in there, lol. Proper Tardis :innocent:

Here's her the other day parked between two modern Volvos. How things have changed!

20220531_130035.jpg

dh1079

RMS Regular
Drives
loads
Back in 1995 the 850 estate was the biggest Volvo you could buy. Pretty much the biggest car you could buy, full stop.

Not any more! Emma is barely any bigger than a modern 3/4-series. I have lost her in car parks between modern hatches and crossovers. No joke!

She's much bigger on the inside though, like a cavern in there, lol. Proper Tardis :innocent:

Here's her the other day parked between two modern Volvos. How things have changed!

View attachment 364264
Looks tiny

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
She is! It's how low she is that gets me every time next to anything modern. Much bigger than either of those on the inside though, lol.

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
They are! Was the first thing I thought when I saw one in real life for the first time. It was "just" the swb 2-door but it was absolutely massive! Not a clue how you fit one in a Tesco car park. Or an average field for that matter, lol :innocent:

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
Back from a few weeks in England in the wee Volvo. She loves it there! From Yorkshire to Dorset, from Suffolk to Wales. Done 2.5k miles and never missed a beat. If anything just went better and better with a bit of use. Industrial strength air con helped too, lol, had 35 degrees for a week there! 🌞

P1220496.JPG

P1220517.JPG

P1220561.JPG

P1220591.JPG

P1220643.JPG

P1220655.JPG

P1220687.JPG

P1220695.JPG

P1220749.JPG

A wiper arm fell off as we drove off the ferry in Belfast, lol. But that's ok, thankfully didn't lose it (you would never ever find another rhd one 🤐) and just bolted straight back on again. Used a bit of locktite to try to make sure it stays on!

Also finally built up enough courage to stick new boot badges on. Most nerve wracking thing I've done, lol. One drops about 2mm from one side to the other, which annoyingly is visible if you know... But whatever glue they use, once it touches anything then that's it, it's stuck on. So it will do. Still not a bad effort for a turnip 🙂

P1220752.JPG

P1220759.JPG

Gave the engine bay a wipe down too. Not bad at 27 years old! That's literally just a wipe down, no dressing or anything. And got some C4 on possibly the biggest scuttle panel in the world. Don't have a before picture, but it was basically white so I call this a result 😎

P1220760.JPG

P1220768.JPG

Now Mitsi is out to play. Bit different stepping into that from the Volvo 😇 Terrorising Donaghadee and Millisle earlier today.

P1220773.JPG

Attachments

• P1220569.JPG
    P1220569.JPG
    259.7 KB · Views: 37

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
Life isn't worth living below 8k rpm 😎 Or more than 2" off the ground 😅

Wee run up the coast after collecting her this morning. Some readers may have noticed I'm quite fond of this wee car, lol. Getting in is like fitting an old shoe, it's all just so right!

P1220822.JPG

P1220843.JPG

Small update - gear shifter. Got one of these fancy jobs in to replace the old knackered Lotus unit. So much better! Not quite the same quality as the one in the Evo, but then it was quite a bit cheaper too. Or rather "less expensive", cough... none of these things are actually cheap... But totally worth it.

New cables and a full refresh of the linkage at the gearbox end as well will have helped too! Good for another ten years now 😎

P1220831.JPG

P1220835.JPG

TheDaniel

RMS Regular
Drives
Silvia PS13
Awesome mate! Never seen this thread before. The only car I knew you had was the wee lotus. What a line up!

Kakimoto ftw😍

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
And it's on 🤩

P1220850.JPG

P1220854.JPG

And of course ended up going back via Glenarm because, well, why not 😇 It's actually very quiet. Sounds much better on the outside now, just not stupid loud. We may adjust that a wee bit, lol, but I really like it. Looks the part too if I may say so myself, worth every penny just for that 🙂

She was made for roads like this! Basically never lift, and brakes are just for adjusting the line through corners, lol. I always thought it was Princess who would kill me but it might just be this 😅 🙈 What a way to go!

P1220878.JPG

Also got a rear strut brace in. The original one was missing but this will do the job.

P1220867.JPG

TheDaniel

RMS Regular
Drives
Silvia PS13
That is awesome mate. My Kaki is in 3 sections but the back box is a little dented. If I was changing it, that one above would be my number 1 choice. Looks absolutely awesome mate and sounds brilliant!😍

svensktoppen

RMS Regular
OP
svensktoppen
Drives
FK2 CTR
Well, 225bhp, 750kg, a couple of inches off the road. You do the maths :innocent: And it's all going on literally behind your head. Can't beat her for sheer drama.

Funny you should compare to the Evo... I think of her as my waterproof Lotus, lol. With a boot!

She's obviously bigger, though quite petite by modern standards still. You'd be surprised just how small she is. Nearly twice the weight, and moves more. But the grip and traction in that thing is just nuts. And it's just as mechanical, just lovely. My highly calibrated bum says close to 300bhp in standard trim. They were all officially 268bhp, some agreement with the Jap government, but... Lol.

The Honda is different again. Bigger, weighs a little more, modern, but 310bhp. And fwd. Again grip and traction is unbelievable (with the right tyres, cough), but it's all happening at the front. Proper diff so no torque steer, just pulls straight to the apex. Always angry, lol. As close as you get to a btcc race car with number plates :innocent: Or a fwd Evo.

Wee Volvo is obviously a different beast. Still no slouch, lovely for long trips to England, noise and engine literally to die for. She does surprise a lot of modern stuff. And gets a lot of attention too!

All different, couldn't possibly pick one 😎

Last edited:

chrisdromore

RMS Regular
Drives
a8
Ah I don’t think I could go back to fwd. Honda sounds great but you can’t steer and put power down without some deviation surely lol

Sounds like the evo has it