Thinking of selling up my MX5 for an E92 325i Coupe. Sanity check needed!

Johnny_E

RMS Regular
Drives
C220
I've done this before... spent time and money getting a car in good shape... to then suffer instant boredom and want a change! I cant afford to keep them all, so always sell up to fund the next notion.

While repeating this habit over the past couple of decades.. I'm made a few blunders. I've let one or 2 go that I really regret. None more than my B4 Audi Coupe V6 with Recaro interior that I let go for £1800!

21447154575_3f19d48bdb_k.jpg

I did the same with bikes for a while. Ended up with a beautiful Ducati Monster 750 with loads of nice carbon bits and yes, sold it for a stupid price.

51131260758_1d36c3ee32_k.jpg

I've had my MX5 for 7 years now. I've probably spent the full purchase price all over again in mods and upgrades... but I'm at the point now I need to add more power, or change it. I'm falling on the "change it" side of that argument. I have to pay for any bigger work I get done on my cars, so spending £3k+ for a turbo/charger conversion just doesn't stack up.

50459510152_1faa1b5a79_k.jpg

I'm going to do an Excel sheet up, but a conservative guess is that I've spent about £7k all in to get the car to this stage (incl purchase). Its only got 41k miles on it and the lads over at MX5PartsNI reckon its the most solid example they've had on the ramps. I put the best of stuff into the car... MeisterR CRD coil overs, Jass Performance chassis rails, Racing Beat exhaust and centre section from IL Motorsports. It IS a fantastic drive on a B road.

But I'm still bored. Post lockdown, 1 year stuck indoors bored! So.... what next is the question?

Its the 4 cylinder engine that lets this car down. I quite fancy a straight 6 BMW. I've never owned a BMW (we've had a string of Mercedes as family cars) so have NO clue what to look for / avoid - but I want something around the £4k mark which can be used as an all year round 2nd car for low mileage driving in the household (2000 miles a year max). I'm thinking E92 325i coupe. I've always loved the E92 coupe body shape; its one of BMW's best designs in my opinion. Almost bought a 320i coupe a while back which was a lovely dark blue with CS style alloys. the 4 cylinder engine held me back (and a brake warning on the dash).

So... fully sorted MX5 -> 325i coupe. That's my thinking..... I'm gonna take a hit on the MX5 for sure, but what do you guys make of the 325i. Tax is heavy on the 330 and the 335i is too complex for my liking, so I thought the 325 would give me the 6 pot sound without too many headaches.

big_pete

RMS Regular
Drives
Soulless pos
Sound is the only upside IMO, an e92 is a very heavy car and as such they aren’t a terribly rewarding experience unless they have a bit of power. If anything it might actually “feel” slower than the MX

They make for lovely daily drivers but something fun as a toy, I think it would be instant regret.

A nice e46 330ci would be better in that regard, they go quite well and the steering feel is awesome (the steering rack in them actually feels far better than an e46 M3 and is a popular mod for the m3) IMO they are the last proper BMW and I’ve owned an E92 M3 and currently have an M4 and if you want that BMW experience the e46 is probably the best all rounder

They are old enough now that you don’t see them all the time and still a big step up in terms of comfort and luxury from an MX5.

Stebo

RMS Regular
Drives
Defender 110
I had an e92 325i - lovely car, but not as an alternative to an mx5.

Any reason why you wouldn't consider the likes of a z4? I expect that any car of that size (ie 4 seats) is going to need to have a bit of poke (and maybe an LSD) to provide mx5-ish thrills. Maybe 135i would tick a box??

Johnny_E

RMS Regular
OP
Johnny_E
Drives
C220
I had an e92 325i - lovely car, but not as an alternative to an mx5.

Any reason why you wouldn't consider the likes of a z4? I expect that any car of that size (ie 4 seats) is going to need to have a bit of poke (and maybe an LSD) to provide mx5-ish thrills. Maybe 135i would tick a box??

I'm trying to behave myself and don't want to add money to this, hence thinking £4k limit as despite what I've spent, I don't see the MX5 being worth any more than £4500. I doubt a clean 6 cylinder Z4 would come in at anywhere near that budget.

I'm also going to be selling my wife's B Class merc B150 which just doesn't get driven now, so whatever I get, I want it to be more usable daily as a 2nd car in the household. I'll be holding the value of the B Class off to the side - my son is turning 17 next year so that pot of money will go towards his 1st wheels!

I had the MX5 kept outdoors at the start of last winter and was shocked at how it DIDN'T like the cold. Never seen condensation like it inside the hardtop which is uninsulated.

So, I'm just looking something for a non-boring 2nd car in the house rather than a direct MX5 replacement. 4 seats is a bonus for the times that our main car (C220) would be away for service work etc. It doesn't need to go/handle like the MX5.

Is a £4k 325i going to be trouble? There's a couple of 320i coupes selling at present for good money (£3k-£3500) but the engine doesn't excite me at all on those.

Spend more or sh

Last edited:

Coog

Admin
Drives
GTI
Throw a turbo onto it.

If you're going to sell it and have a price in mind, PM me info.

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
Whilst the E92 is a lovely car, if you’re wanting something fun the 325i will leave you disappointed.

Big difference between the 2 though, surely there’d be something else which would tick the sporty and comfort box? What’s the budget?

Also, that 80 looked amazing!

Johnny_E

RMS Regular
OP
Johnny_E
Drives
C220
Throw a turbo onto it.

If you're going to sell it and have a price in mind, PM me info.
That's probably what's led me to this point... its crying out for boost as the next natural step.

I'm at the point with the car that anything I do now will be down the turbo/charger route. I'd looked at ME221 management, G19 manifold etc etc. The car's too clean for putting old parts on... and my estimated costs were mental. I'm no mechanic... so was looking at paying someone like Momentum in Lisburn to do the work.

Here's the pics (LOTS of em!) of the work done over the last few years. MX5 Rear End Rebuild

I paid MX5PartsNI about £800 to rebulid it all last summer after spending a long time stripping and refurbishing that rear end - its been done right. Have a look.... we can chat on PM. I've all the old parts here too (41k Sport Bilsteins, mint original heated leather seats, sport 16" alloys and tyres... so I'll be selling those off separately too).
Whilst the E92 is a lovely car, if you’re wanting something fun the 325i will leave you disappointed.

Big difference between the 2 though, surely there’d be something else which would tick the sporty and comfort box? What’s the budget?

Also, that 80 looked amazing!
Budget is probably too low to achieve anything exciting. £4k.

If I could buy my 80 back tomorrow... that would be game over!! Its still taxed and insured.. went to a father and son from Jerretspass IIRC .... they did bodywork. I'm a complete t**t for selling it.

21259321508_7325708a6a_k.jpg

25918141671_f5593370be_b.jpg

25384424213_e3ddea0943_b.jpg

51131946684_d42514f908_k.jpg

51132279735_077366cf78_k.jpg

Last edited:

veedubnoodle

RMS Regular
Drives
her crazy
What would you be looking for the MX5 out of interest?

And speaking from experience do not sell it :laughing: you'll only kick yourself after and miss it lots!

Lyons

RMS Moderator
Drives
X5 / 435D
He seems to like something a bit left field! Wouldn’t be for me, but just trying to think of something that fits the bill.

Mr.Mint

RMS Regular
Drives
Many Things.
Keep the MX5.

Buy a very cheap BMW that needs some light work and enjoy both.

I think your mad to sell one of the best examples of an MX-5 I have ever seen to buy a run of the mill BMW.

That's just my opinion...

Father Stack

RMS Regular
Drives
VRS
I think you'd have massive regret selling that MX5 and going into a 325. Have you driven a 325? I drove my OH's mothers E90 320 for a while and I honestly hated it. Was up there with an Insignia levels of awful

Johnny_E

RMS Regular
OP
Johnny_E
Drives
C220
What would you be looking for the MX5 out of interest?

And speaking from experience do not sell it :laughing: you'll only kick yourself after and miss it lots!

Honestly... I don't know yet. I've probably spent close £8k on it if I tot it up... but of course, that's not its market value at all. (I added it up there.... £7500 is around what I've put into it. Good grief!).

Its only worth what someone will pay for it as the old saying goes. I'd see it as being <£5k. Anything more than that.... buyers would be looking for more exotic things for that money!

Johnny_E

RMS Regular
OP
Johnny_E
Drives
C220
Appreciate all the replies... what I didn't expect was that the 325i is pretty much considered boring to drive. I guess thats why there's M cars... thats where the fun is at.

I think I also need to get this 5 off SORN and out. Remind myself why its there.... and then see what I'll do.

ALN

RMS Regular
Drives
Clio 182
Hmm I do have a hankering for another convertible and will be selling my cooper S soon. Could work out an exchange or some sort maybe lol