Timing belt - Mondeo 2.2

paddyirishman

RMS Regular
I have a 2009 Titanium X sport 2.2 175bhp and it's just turned 10yrs old so will be due a timing belt change.
Anyone know if it is a belt on this model or a chain?
Also, where is the best place to get the parts?
I need the kit and a water pump.

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
I have a 2009 Titanium X sport 2.2 175bhp and it's just turned 10yrs old so will be due a timing belt change.
Anyone know if it is a belt on this model or a chain?
Also, where is the best place to get the parts?
I need the kit and a water pump.
I have one the same (for sale at the moment) and got it changed at 98k. Its a belt and I got the whole kit fitted by local mechanic. Any motor factor would have them, but if you're getting someone to do it for you just let them buy the parts too.

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
How much for the kit and installation roughly @Apis ?
I only have 68k on it but the 10yrs is just up.
I don't know the exact price of anything because I got a front strut top mount changed at the same time (they get squeeky/growly when you steer). So for the kit, the top mount and the labour for both it was something like £280 IIRC.
I'd guess £200-£300 would cover parts and labour from a typical mechanic. Mine works on all kinds of cars.
I don't think there's anything specially difficult about it. Just ordinary dry toothed belt.

paddyirishman

RMS Regular
OP
P
Glad to hear that, I thought it would be double that. Should have a date for it next week 👍

Deleted member 13907

D
Sorry to jump on the back of this. Just looking a bit of feedback on an 09 Mondeo 2.2 TDCi Titanium X Sport.
@Apis & @paddyirishman would you recommend?
The one I’ve seen has ~120k on it. Other than timing belt, anything else I need to look for?

paddyirishman

RMS Regular
OP
P
Take it for a test drive and rev it hardish from cold to start the dpf regen. They can weap oil from a turbo seal that drips onto the exhaust manifold and causes white smoke at the back of the engine during the regen.
Rear bushings seem to go so check the insides of the tyres for wear.
Not a bad car though fuel economy isn't great for a diesel, getting 32mpg at the minute.

Deleted member 13907

D
Take it for a test drive and rev it hardish from cold to start the dpf regen. They can weap oil from a turbo seal that drips onto the exhaust manifold and causes white smoke at the back of the engine during the regen.
Rear bushings seem to go so check the insides of the tyres for wear.
Not a bad car though fuel economy isn't great for a diesel, getting 32mpg at the minute.
32!!! I was hoping for more like 52 - granted that would be on a 60 mile trip (75% on motorway).
Thanks for the advice 👍🏻

paddyirishman

RMS Regular
OP
P
I've seen 36 on the motorway but I'd have a heavy right foot. Definately won't get anywhere near 52 though.

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
Sorry to jump on the back of this. Just looking a bit of feedback on an 09 Mondeo 2.2 TDCi Titanium X Sport.
@Apis & @paddyirishman would you recommend?
The one I’ve seen has ~120k on it. Other than timing belt, anything else I need to look for?
Sold mine with 128k and it never had any suspension or bushes work done at all, but I do hear a lot about rear bush wear. You will hear it with a knocking noise.
People always asked me about the clutch and flywheel but mine was fine. Replaced rubber pipes on the DPF which was about £30 and 10 minutes DIY.
I had to get a clutch master cylinder fitted recently, which was the most major thing it ever needed. Parking sensors are the most common complaint with them.
Long term average mpg was 39. This was a daily 24mile return commute, mixed rural urban, with a longer journey at the weekends. Exact same driving with my previous B5.5 1.9TDI Passat 130 was about 44, so that would give you a rough comparison. Mine had 215bhp remap but I kept the DPF.
Mondeo feels a bit slow off the mark because you don't get full power until 3rd gear.
Great handling car and more reliable than any VW I ever had. (Polo, Golf, and 2 Passats.)

Deleted member 13907

D
Thanks for the info guys. Unfortunately the poor economy will rule it out for me, as I’ll be doing 600 miles/week for a while. Fantastic looking motor though and great spec for the price.

paddyirishman

RMS Regular
OP
P
Yeah, for me it's stepping into petrol territory on the economy. Still a great car for the price though.

Apis

RMS Regular
Drives
various
Best all-round option if economy is a concern would be the 2.0. Still 160bhp I think and available in tittyX Sport spec. Just a bit hard to find.